Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, I believe that the long LR slide is the only one that you would have to worry about and that has any wind movement that I would deem potentially damaging. The other three slide covers on our 3400 have never made very much, if any, noise. I am sure they are moving a little, but they don't have nearly the "sail" quality of that large slide cover. I would not strap down the smaller slides IMHO.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #22
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I agree with dsprik and don't strap the smaller ones down. It sure blew here last evening, (Ft Stockton, TX).
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #23
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
While camping in Texas in November and December, we experienced high winds and lots of rain. I witnessed the entertainment slide on our 3458 SA lifting inward at the top due to wind. It appeared that the topper was acting as a sail and lifting the slide in at the top. This lifing also allowed a blowing rain to leak in on the front side of the topper. I also have noticed folks using a variety of tie downs. One created a ninety deagree angle with PVC pipe on each end of the topper and threaded a nylon rope through the corneers. I assume this prevented damage to the topper from the rope.
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am watching this thread with interest. The only topper that really catches the wind is the main slide topper on this 06 3400. We do not tie it down in any way. Note that in high winds as the wind pushes against the topper the tension is relieved to compensate. when the wind slacks off it rolls back out. From observation most of the banging we hear is the result of that tension relaxing then returning to normal. We are told that is a safety factor to prevent damage. What are we doing by tying it down????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #25
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Our slide awnings endured 6 years (summers)of Erie Pa winds before they started to delaminate.replaced last year.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Steve, I believe that the long LR slide is the only one that you would have to worry about and that has any wind movement that I would deem potentially damaging. The other three slide covers on our 3400 have never made very much, if any, noise. I am sure they are moving a little, but they don't have nearly the "sail" quality of that large slide cover. I would not strap down the smaller slides IMHO.
Dave, we're a quarter mile from the Gulf of Mexico and about the same to the Bay on the other side. The wind here seems to be very strong and gusty about 3 days out of 4, this first month, anyhow. All of our slides were flapping and making lots of noise. The noise doesn't bother me but the age of our toppers and the visual beginnings of deterioration make me worry whether they'll survive the wind in their weakened state. I went ahead and strapped them all and it made a major difference in flapping and noise. This is the first time I've strapped them in all these years. Hopefully it will prolong their useful life. I used rope but will get some strap when we make our Lowe's (and other shopping) run tomorrow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I see what you are saying, Steve. We have not experienced that kind of wind.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #28
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Every one seems to be stapping the covers down- I saw one unit that had passed a rope under the topper and pulled a foam noodle through to hold the topper up and assist water runoff- Has anyone on MOC done this or observed others using this method? Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #29
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Don Yes I have use everything from a beach ball to air mattress to make the topper high in the middle to run the water off. Whatever you use make sure its tied down in some fashoin or it will blow away and the topper will be loose again, if its a big blow and rain it difficult to go outside to fix during that kind of acton, I've been thier done that. Hope this helps.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:56 AM   #30
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Rande- What did you find to be the best object to use and how did you fasten it together? Inquiring minds want to know! Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:43 AM   #31
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Maybe considering whether or not the slide-toppers are really necessary should be brought to light.

We have lots of experience in high winds, extreme weather, and watching those with slide-toppers battle the beast.

Our conclusion (IOHO), is that they aren't worth the bother, worry or expense.

BTW, with a telescoping ladder and a push broom, I can clean off the slides in less than 5 minutes.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robbie, if I didn't have them I'd be cleaning them off in rain, snow, ice, etc! And ice and snow won't roll right off the slide like it does the topper. I'll keep them, thanks anyhow! But, I know you don't get anywhere close to ice so not having them works great for you!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:12 AM   #33
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Robbie, if I didn't have them I'd be cleaning them off in rain, snow, ice, etc! And ice and snow won't roll right off the slide like it does the topper. I'll keep them, thanks anyhow! But, I know you don't get anywhere close to ice so not having them works great for you!
Steve,

Sounds like to me, people are having to deal with their slide toppers in horrible weather.

Currently, we are sitting at the Goosenecks. It is snowing and 31* outside. Tomorrow morning, like every single other occurrence like this, I will get my trusty ladder, my floor broom with the long handle, and in 5-10 minutes, will be able to effortlessly slide all the snow and ice off the tops of my slides.

That 5-10 minutes I spent is far less time than anyone I know of who owns slide-toppers has spent trying to lessen the impact of their lives from the noise and the worry of torn fabric; these poor misinformed people purchased straps and beach balls, air mattresses and de-flappers and who know what else. Read the posts!

...how about when the slide-toppers roll-in? they dump leaves and mud and whatever else on the side of your trailer? that would take more than 5 minutes to clean up....how much does this convenience cost installed, anyway?

How about considering NOT having them at all??

When someone asks about slide-toppers and their convenience, I'll do my best to dissuade them, then, I'll slide them the highly prized louvered tailgate catalog.

Thanks, but no-sale on the slide-toppers, here...I'll save my money and use the old broom and a bit of common sense. Geesh!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:32 AM   #34
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Two weeks ago in Benson I watched the owner of the motorhome across from us spend 45 minutes getting the ice out from under his slides. He had tried to close them and the ice that had formed after raining the night before under the slides had jammed them.
He was up on a ladder with a broom.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #35
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robbie, the leaves on the side are not a problem. The only time that happens is when we retract the slides to get on the road. By the time we reach our next destination the road wind has dried them and blown them off. I guess differing opinions is a good thing. It lets prospective buyers hear all angles so to make an informed decision. You will never have them and we'll never be without. We're both right.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #36
underpar

M.O.C. #10082
Hi All, Like many others we were also in QZ for the big blow. After it was over Laraine noticed that one end of the LR awning was flapping in the breeze. With flashlight in hand I did a quick repair with some duct tape. When we got home I started the perminent fix. To my surprise, the awning was not torn but merely pulled out of the channel. What I found was that the plastic rod that holds the awning in the channel was to short in the first place or had moved so that one end of the awning was not locked into the channel which allowed the wind to work the awning and plastic rod out of the channel. I knocked back into place with a wooden paint stir stick and repaired it with a small piece of wooden dowel about the size of the plasic retaining rod. I also had to do this to the other awning. I would suggest that you all inspect both ends of the awnings for this problem. We have a '05 2955RL

Happy Trails

Brent & Laraine
underpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had some stiff winds all day yesterday and last night here in Florida.Lots of banging last night. We have been in high winds in Mew Mexico, Texas Az and here in Florida. We are still in good shape. We camp in many places up north where Slide toppers are a must. Leaves, pine cones, all kinds of junk. I also beleive it helps in keeping leaks down.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #38
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

[blue]Steve,

Sounds like to me, people are having to deal with their slide toppers in horrible weather.
Robbie, the only reason I had to deal with them this time is because I had put 1 1/2 inch foamboard between topper and slide roof and I could not get the foam out with the ice on the topper.

Otherwise I would have done as I have every other time since our first topper arrived in July 2002 and I'd have retracted the slides and let the ice, water, leaves, whatever, just roll off the toppers.

The only thing of concern I've experienced otherwise is to be sure I'm out of range when that water or ice comes off the topper! I got drenched good once. I'm pretty quick at getting out of the way now!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #39
TODO
Established Member

M.O.C. #9970
So to wrap this up... I did contact both Keystone and Dometic regarding wind specs. Keystone would not offer any info since the product is supplied by Dometic. Dometic did not have any specs for wind rating either. They responded as follows: We do not have a wind rating available for this product. The fabric can become wind whipped and tear when exposed to excessive wind. As I'm sure you are aware, any damage caused by exposure to the elements, is not covered by warranty. So... we're on our own I guess.

TODO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #40
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TODO

So to wrap this up... I did contact both Keystone and Dometic regarding wind specs. Keystone would not offer any info since the product is supplied by Dometic. Dometic did not have any specs for wind rating either. They responded as follows: We do not have a wind rating available for this product. The fabric can become wind whipped and tear when exposed to excessive wind. As I'm sure you are aware, any damage caused by exposure to the elements, is not covered by warranty. So... we're on our own I guess.
Wow, what a product! no specs?..... gets exposed to the elements and the warranty is no good.....STILL, think I'll save my money for something more practical....sorry Steve.