Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #1
Steve Wiseguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24328
Tire wear suspension issue?

I have a 2018 Montana 3560rl.

Both Tires on the drivers side look like they are tilted opposite of each other & not aligned with each other(also when driving) One tire has bad wear on the inside & the other has bad wear on the outside. About a 6-8" space between each tire. The passenger side tires are wearing about evenly. Slightly more on the inside on both tires. There is about a 2" space between both tires. (very close) Something is not right here. Thinking there is a suspension issue. Any Idea's?

Steve Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It sounds like the axles have moved on the springs. There is a pin on the axle that positions it on a hole in the spring. The "U" bolts that hold the axle to the springs are likely loose and have allowed the axles to move. Hopefully you haven't sheared of the pin. You will have to jack and support the RV, loosen the "U" bolts, get the axles back into position, and then tighten the "U" bolts before putting the RV back on the ground. Then go back and torque the "U" bolts to 65 ft/lbs (they will loosed when the weights is applied.

Be sure the axles still have a "frown" curve as the lack of it is a common cause of inside edge tire wear.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is almost sounding like the shackles are flipped on the side that has only 2” of space between the tires.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
It should be looked at soon. It could be a safety issue.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
It should be looked at soon. It could be a safety issue.
Excellent recommendation!!!!! I would not move until it has been inspected and corrected. Having an axle come loose will make for an unhappy and expensive day.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #6
Steve Wiseguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24328
Tire wear suspension issue

I crawled under my Fifth wheel to take a look. I found the U bracket or shackle
was completely broke off on the passenger rear. Spring & Axle just hanging loose & free. This happen driving 10hrs from Idaho to California. I think I got Lucky nothing happen. See attached photos.

Thank you guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4809.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	9408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4806.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	9409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4804.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	9410  
Old 06-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #7
Steve Wiseguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24328
I have a appointment with a shop on Thursday about 5 miles away. I called Good Sam road service to get me there. I am not sure how they will do that? Flat bed?
Old 06-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Good job finding that. The fix should be straightforward and not very difficult. I don't know how they will move it but it was probably broken for many miles.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:12 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Mobile welder? Seems like that would be the safest means to move the trailer.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #10
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Knowing it was driven several miles already with it broken, five more miles probably won't make a difference. OTOH, if your axles fall off during the trip, I never said the foregoing.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #11
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wiseguy View Post
was completely broke off on the passenger rear. Spring & Axle just hanging loose & free. This happen driving 10hrs from Idaho to California. I think I got Lucky nothing happen. See attached photos.

Thank you guys!
Wow, seems like I have seen a lot of posts recently about shackle breaks. I don't see how this could be unique to Montana frames, since most every 5er I have ever seen is basically constructed with the shackle weld to the frame.

I have a 2019 3721RL that i am currently fixing to install the cross braces in all three spots of the springs hoping it will provide more stability for such strength issues.

Thanks for your picture details.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:09 AM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You can purchase the X Factor cross braces from MorRyde. I installed all three on our old rig and they made a difference helping the suspension.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:11 PM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wiseguy View Post

Thank you guys!
Wow, glad you found the problem.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:00 PM   #14
Katherine1962
Established Member

M.O.C. #27099
Having lost a leaf spring while driving I can tell you it is very scary. Very happy you found it. Goodluck
Katherine1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #15
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
Wow, seems like I have seen a lot of posts recently about shackle breaks. I don't see how this could be unique to Montana frames, since most every 5er I have ever seen is basically constructed with the shackle weld to the frame.

I have a 2019 3721RL that i am currently fixing to install the cross braces in all three spots of the springs hoping it will provide more stability for such strength issues.

Thanks for your picture details.

The shackles, depending on frame/rv, can be "lightweight - 1/4"" or heavyweight - 1/2".....that is a huge difference. Some models stretch the weight limits of axles, shackles etc. If you are the top of the line in that particular model you will hit the max for axles, springs, shackles etc. You don't really know where that is unless you do some research.

This trailer came with 6k axles. I didn't like that and with a gvw over 14k they seemed sized to small. Conversations with Keystone said they size them to support the trailer....minus pin weight. Well, they have no idea how anyone loads, effective stresses put on the trailer/frame etc. Just a cheap out. I knew it when I bought it and thought I could "live" with it...I can't.

I have bought and paid for new 7k axles, upgraded springs, MorRyde suspension, heavy duty shackles/wet bolts and disc brakes. The disc brakes are probably not something I should expect from Keystone; an "adequate" suspension is. Not griping; knew what I was doing and wanted the trailer. Just a mention to look at the sticker on the trailer giving you weights and what they actually put on the trailer to support it....which will be minimal if not inadequate.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:43 AM   #16
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I'm going to carry a set of shackles and a spring set when we start full-timing. Also, going to beef up the mounts beforehand.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #17
janan5243

M.O.C. #25809
blowout damage to suspension

I got my 3585SA last april. First trip, on NY th4ruway, got a blowout, front tire door side. fortunately, I went out next day & had a spare mounted on rim. On way home 4 days later, blowout rear tire, other side. sustained some body damage. Again on NY thruway, Speed, 65 MPH. Took it back to dealer & they gave me 5 new sailuns and paid me for any out of pocket expense. Fixed sheet metal myself. Dealer gave me new fender skirts which I installed. Had warrantty & insurance, didn't want to wait for dealer to get to it thru insurance. Fast forward to June 2021. Bring trailer to same dealer for New york inspection. Fails inspection. door side center shackle bracket is bent to outside of trailer. When they replaced tires, mechanic had to replace rear shackle bolt, same side. How do I document that first blowout did damage.
Service manager remarks that I must really hit somethin good. All my trips were local, didn't put 600 miles on it. Does anyone know if the frame is boxed there.
janan5243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #18
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I'm going to carry a set of shackles and a spring set when we start full-timing. Also, going to beef up the mounts beforehand.
Phillyg, If you upgrade your shackles and mounts you should be ok. Carrying extra spring sets is way overkill, but up to you. The shackles and mounts are usually what fail. Have you looked at Sumo Springs? They are going on my rig. They are PROGRESSIVE springs that are like having springs and shocks in one. Mine are 500 lbs resistance per spring, 1000 lbs per axle. At 50% compression you get 500 lbs of resistance. They can compress up to 80% of travel. I have spoken to folks that have them and they really like them. They say there is very noticeable improvement in handling and vibration. Thought I would pass that along to consider. Safe travels.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote