Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #41
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
After extensive research I've decided on a extension hauler with wheels, seems like there's only two brands out there Idaho Tote (Freedom Hauler) and Swivel wheel. I'd like to get some feedback on both, I know the Idaho Tote is double the price but I'm only hauling half the weight of their smallest model. Swivel Wheel is more economical but I'd like to hear about how the tire hold up and if anyone has had "caster shake" from one of these. The other thing I was going to add anyway was a rear facing camera for back up purposes and now to keep an eye on the hauler.

RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #42
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDH View Post
Is that Idaho tote legal in all states?
Yes it is and I have one for sale

They are legal in Indiana, as Indiana has no problems with double towing. I don't know the laws for every state, but in Indiana, if it has a wheel and the wheel touches the ground, it's considered a trailer. And trailers have to have their own license plates and lights. They need brakes too, but only if the total weight of trailer and all cargo exceeds 3000 pounds.

If it doesn't have a wheel and does not touch the ground, then it's a cargo carrier. No lights or registration required.

It's not double towing due to the two point attachment to the rv. I don't have the time to pull up the supporting documentation but in context the the wheels on the ground apply to a trailer and not an extension which has been the legal determination of the Freedom Hauler/Idaho Tote by DOT/DOL's across the country.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #43
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Quote:
Is that Idaho tote legal in all states?
Yes it is and I have one for sale

They are legal in Indiana, as Indiana has no problems with double towing. I don't know the laws for every state, but in Indiana, if it has a wheel and the wheel touches the ground, it's considered a trailer. And trailers have to have their own license plates and lights. They need brakes too, but only if the total weight of trailer and all cargo exceeds 3000 pounds.

If it doesn't have a wheel and does not touch the ground, then it's a cargo carrier. No lights or registration required.
Where are you located? I'm interested!
Old 06-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #44
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
how's your swivel wheel at highway speeds? Are you using the single wheel or tandem?
Old 06-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #45
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
golf cart carrier update

After looking at all the options out there if I do this it will be a extension hauler, this all depends if I end up with a seasonal site or not. If I do I just might have a friend haul it down on a regular trailer since he lives nearby, if not I'll go the other route. I said I could only find two companies but I was wrong I found three Idaho Tote, Swivel Wheel and Smart Trailer. There may be some others out there as well. Smart Trailer has a four wheeled one that takes all the weight, Idaho Tote the axle is more centered so it takes a lot of the weight and swivel wheel is at the end of the trailer so it may take half the weight of the load. looking at the frame of the trailer its only a 10" lightweight I beam so a cargo platform is out of the question, as some have said it would probably damage the trailer without significant reinforcement and suspension upgrades which is out of the question.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #46
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
After looking at all the options out there if I do this it will be a extension hauler, this all depends if I end up with a seasonal site or not. If I do I just might have a friend haul it down on a regular trailer since he lives nearby, if not I'll go the other route. I said I could only find two companies but I was wrong I found three Idaho Tote, Swivel Wheel and Smart Trailer. There may be some others out there as well. Smart Trailer has a four wheeled one that takes all the weight, Idaho Tote the axle is more centered so it takes a lot of the weight and swivel wheel is at the end of the trailer so it may take half the weight of the load. looking at the frame of the trailer its only a 10" lightweight I beam so a cargo platform is out of the question, as some have said it would probably damage the trailer without significant reinforcement and suspension upgrades which is out of the question.
You need to be careful with the swivel wheel. It puts about 80% of teh weight of the trailer and load on the rear of the Monty. The Freedom hauler, the weight is balancd over the teh wheels.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #47
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Where are you located? I'm interested!
Indiana, all my life. (except a stent in the Army.)
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote