Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
What's in your tool box?

What’s in your toolbox

Along with a full set of tools to handle any bolt or nut on both the TV and RV there are a few other essential items I will not travel without. These are items that I will need if I, or a neighbor should have an electrical or many other problems. I hate to borrow from others. This list may not include all that I carry.

1) Battery operated nut driver and drill
2) Assortment of wire ends and crimping tool
3) A decent multi-meter, I use a Beckman Circuitmate DM25L
4) A 12v tester with ground clamp and probe. Lights up when 12v is present.
5) Several small jumper cables and electric soldering gun
6) 150 psi 120v air compressor and accessories
7) ½” drive 250 ft lb. torque wrench
8) Finally one of the greatest little gadgets I have along and use often at home is a Voltage Detector (see photo below) This will test any circuit from 50 to 1000 volts (AC only), it is very sensitive and will detect voltage on a service cable by just putting the end on the cable. It lights up and has an audible indicator as well. A must have as far as I am concerned.

The dime beside it is just to give you an idea of the size.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Great tool, been using one for years. I always test it on a known live circuit first just to make sure it works, then trace my circuits. I also carry an advanced circuit tracer that traces wires in the walls. You never know. John
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I carry all of the above as well as cordless grinder, reciprocal saw and leaf blower as well as extra lighting and general rv parts.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Plus an assortment of open end/box end wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, and other general mechanic type tools.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
a leaf blower???????????????
jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:
A leaf blower??????????
Hey if you live in the NW you get really tired and out of breath blowing on the campfire to keep the wet wood burning. My wife now refuses to pump that old bellows anymore....LOL
Will add it to my "fire building kit"...
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
NO-No-NO! troops! The leaf blower is to be used to clear the leaves and debri off the slides when you're in a park with a lot of trees and or acorns falling! The best is a battery operated one because that cord plugged into an outlet causes all kinds of problems! I guess you could use it for starting your campfire but the neighbors may not like all the hot ashes coming over to their units!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Leafblower can also come in handy to reverse the flow of "hot air" permeating from the adjacent campsite . Sorry ... we're getting off topic here ....
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually I'm charging the battery tonight because tomorrow we've got to clean out some shelves in the education room where the mice have left a hefty contribution and I'd like to get them off the shelves and out the door with minimal handling. I got it to get the pine needles and cones off the roof and slides this summer and I use it about once a month now for something else, but always glad I've got it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
DON'T use the blower if there is mice scat, that stuff can be inhaled and cause that Haunted virus or whatever it's called.
Seriously, mice scat and mice urine is very dangerous when dry and inhaled.
I would just get rubber gloves, Simple Green and a face mask to clean it.
On topic, not much I don't carry in my tool box: one complete set with cordless drills for the Monte, a complete set for the truck, 3 battery cordless drills; hammer drill, impact drill, grinder, soldering iron set, acetylene torch and brazing kit, cordless and corded Dremels, jig-saw, 2 hydraulic jacks, pipe for ratchet cheater battery-powered Saw-zall, hatchet, limb pincher-trimmers, socket set, adjustable torque-ratchet, and many other things.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The most important tool (I guess it can be called that) other than those listed above that I am never without is Gorilla Tape. Don't make fun, I did at least graduate from duct tape!! A couple other items I carry that are not mentioned are an axe and a garden rake. Gotta have campfires, even if the neighbors are using their leaf-blower to try to blow the smoke back at us. I find myself splitting wood regularly for kindling, etc. The rake comes in very handy for site maintenance when the CG attendants are not of the energetic type.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #12
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
i have testers for the pedistal
1: yellow thing for correct wiring
2: grey thing to measure V , HZ and also wattage measurer
mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Kind of a trick question as I have five tool boxes!

1) Set of small tools, including needle nose pliers, soldering iron, misc. screwdriver bits, etc.

2) Set of sockets, 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" drive and ratchets.

3 Set of drill bits with many duplicates of smaller sizes for when one gets broke.

4) Main box with drill motor, extension cord, files, ohm meter, knife, electrical tape, teflon tape, extend-able lug nut bar, knee pads (insert wisecrack here!), adjustable wrench, channel locks, pliers, wire cutters, hammer and I've forgotten what else.

5) Truck box with emergency reflectors, axe, shovel, 5" vice mounted on 2" tube for hitch, 4" x 30 foot recovery strap, 3 ton bottle jack, slings, pullies, shackles and other stuff for the winch on the front of the truck, a 4000 watt power inverter, and probably other stuff I've forgotten about.

On top of all that stuff, I also carry a 1/2 drive torque wrench with t thin wall socket covered with plastic to avoid marking up the aluminum wheels, a 110v air compressor, and a home made device for checking the 50 amp connections at campgrounds.

I think that's everything...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote