Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
ltoews
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10846
Breaker Panel - Incorrectly Labeled

We discovered today when we had a service technician out for our water heater that two of the breakers were incorrectly labeled. These were incorrectly labeled on the inside of the panel access door at the factory. The breaker for the water heater was actually labeled "kitchen" and the breaker for the kitchen GFCI was labeled "water heater". So BEWARE, this could potentially cause a problem if you think you have turned off the power to something and it is still hot.

We plan to go through every outlet, switch and light in our coach and make sure we know which breaker controls each circuit.

ltoews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
A good example why you should always check and make sure the power is really off
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Glad you caught it! Working with AC is always serious business.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks for the info, one more thing to check.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Accurate or not ... at least yours was labeled I haven't tried ultraviolet light on mine yet to check for invisible ink
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Get one of these, Lowes has them

Non-contact voltage detector, always try on a known live circuit forst: Lit lamp..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, heard about this possibility and checked the rig some time ago. It came in handy when I had a dual 15/20amp circuit breaker fail.

It kinda takes away from the "turnkey" mentality we expect when we buy a new RV, but in the RV industry, "Made in America" doesn't have the same feel as many other industries. There are many documented inexcusable errors we should not be seeing. A forum such as this sure provides the awareness to check those things we take for granted (electrical connections, disconnect switches, labels, levers and handles, loose U-bolts and the list goes on and on). Plus over time the nature of an RV being bounced all over the place means that things loosen or change which means we must constantly check things, even things that should be correct out of the factory.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes.It is wise to check everything, It is yet another example of poor workmanship and poor quality control. The little stupid things that over shadow a otherwise very good product. Pull the panels that you can and check the wiring for "rats nest" a few tie wraps can prevent grief down the road.
Note..our 2013 is MUCH better than the 06 3400.We actually see some bundling and tie wraps.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I've been an electrical contractor for longer that I care to admit. ALWAYS check any wiring before you work on it. Don't assume anything or you can get hurt. The technican should have tested the circuit before working on it. The tester that Ozz showed you is an invaluable tool. It won't tell you that you have 120 volts but it will tell you if there is any voltage there. If I walk away from a wire to get something, I'll test it when I get back. As for labeling, I'm willing to bet that of all the house panels I've worked on over the years, 80% were incorrectly labled to some extent.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, Jim. At first 80% seemed pretty high and you would know and should be proud of the years doing so. On the other hand, I have checked my house circuits in every home I've rented or lived in and while the labeling was mostly good I found the labels to be minimal and info a little misleading. For example, there will be 3 circuits labeled "lights" or "outlets" but no indication of which lights in which rooms requiring me to shut them all out then measure for voltage. I'm guessing that this would count toward improper labeling. In one case it was so bad, I buzzed things out and came up with a more descriptive label. This took forever (it was a big house).

I guess all this points to the fact to always check the voltage which is what I've been doing for quite some time and I'm not an electrician, but I have been "touched" by live AC wire only once in my life and don't like that feeling. Never again so I use a VOM, but that device looks interesting and could save lots of time when doing this.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote