Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
alcolemanau
Established Member

M.O.C. #12040
Towing Utility Trailer Behind 5er

From time to time I see a 5er with a utility trailer cuising down the road. I have two questions. 1) how does this practice impact on handling? 2) Is this legal in all states or just some? If I did it I would be in Mississippi and Alabama.

alcolemanau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
Here is a website that covers all states. The column labeled "Triple Tow" is where you should look.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I'm using a swivel wheel trailer as a motorcycle carrer. You will have more tail movement with wind and when those semis pass doing 80plus mph. You didn't say the size of trailer or weight inside? If you look at the chart Doberman supplied it will tell you the laws. It will be hard to stay under the legal length with a pull behind trailer and a Montana camper.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There has always been two distinct camps on the MOC reguarding towing anything behind your fiver ... vehemently not and some that do. I'm among those that do. To me it all boils down to what you're comfortable doing. I'm a farm kid ... 60 - 70 feet of equipment traveling down the road just "ain't no thang" to me. I have a camera on the rear cap to help keep an eye on things. Does it effect handling ... I tow a @2000# squirt boat with no issues other than you have to be more pickey about fueling up. I have a bit more weight to stop, but I'm aware of it and deal with it accordingly. I wouldn't recommend adding 4000 - 5000# back there by any means. As stated, you will be somewhat pressed to stay under the legal length which is on average 65' west of the Mississippi. Unless you just have some outrageous setup, I've not heard of anyone stopped soley just to measure total hookup. There's an issue with factory warranty on new units, for me it was a non-issue as I believe a good hitch (not the flimsey factory one) actually braces up the rear of the frame somewhat. I know I'm making some on the MOC red faced, but to each his own ... just pull something sensable back there not your restored 66 Bonneville.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alcolemanau

From time to time I see a 5er with a utility trailer cuising down the road. I have two questions. 1) how does this practice impact on handling? 2) Is this legal in all states or just some? If I did it I would be in Mississippi and Alabama.
...question number three, can the weak Lippert frame handle it?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Doberman

Here is a website that covers all states. The column labeled "Triple Tow" is where you should look.

Here's another site which fills a few gaps in the Towing World spreadsheet. For instance, in British Columbia 3 vehicle combinations are PROHIBITED.

http://www.woodalls.com/articledetai...icleID=1195129
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I'm with dieselguy you need a good hitch and it will reinforce the frame if made and installed right.
and it is double towing acording to a state trooper friend of mine I don't know about miss but it works in nc,sc,ga and tn. If you look at a truckers road atlas it will show you that triple towing is three pup trailers.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Doberman

Look at the last column, "reciprosity" there is only a couple states that don't honor your own state regs. Therefore, if your home state allows you to double tow, they will not bother you.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

A few weeks ago I looked up the Federal (Interstate Highway) multiple trailer towing regulations.

Double trailers are permitted in all sates on Interstate highways under the following conditions.

The front trailer must be the semi type and maximum length of 28.5 ft the second trailer must not exceed 28.5 ft.

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/publ...index.htm#ttst

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
MOC family, I will refrain making any comments on this subject.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
MIMF how could we find out what is safe and acceptable? I understand you not being able to help in this so where does someone go to get the correct answer?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Florida increased their GVW for commercial vehicles to 22,000 lbs per axel and 84,000 lbs. total vehicle weight. These vehicles are not allowed on interstate highways because the Federal limits are 20,000 lbs per axel and 80,000 lbs total vehicle weight.

Florida doesn’t allow triple trailer, does allow doubles in accordance with the Federal regulations and allows double 53 ft. trailers on state highways by permit only with many restrictions. The only place I have seen the 53 ft doubles is on the Florida Turnpike.

Phil P
Old 01-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #13
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
So far I like the idea of the swivel wheel towing there is a another axle tire and set of wheel bearing to deal with. With the trailer being fixed to the camper and no other ball or attachment to the rear of the camper it is a all in one unit. As I back up the trailer moves with me with no jack kniving. I do need to watch my turns as there is more swing. The manufacturer as a well thought out product all the way through the hitch point!
Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Lynwood,

I don't know of any RV manufacturer that will say it is safe to tow any kind of trailer behind a 5th wheel. The best thing to do is read the warranty policy that came with the packet of manuals, info and warranty cards from the frame or chassis manufacturer. In this case, that would be Lippert Components.

It will say something to the effect that, "if any additions or alterations are made to the frame, warranty coverage will be denied". The manufacturer may also elect to deny any repairs to any portion of the unit if frame alterations are made. In this case, the addition of a trailer hitch.

Now, chances are very high that you will see 2" receivers on the tail of a lot of new units setting on dealer lots. It is very possible that the receiver was added to the frame when it was built by the frame manufacturer. But, look for two things when you do. First, look for a trailer plug. Most likely, it won't be there. Second and most importantly, there will be a "CAUTION" tag somewhere on that receiver that gives the weight limits as to what to carry.

As far as I know, all manufacturers will tell you, as I have told a lot of retail customers thru the years, "The unit is yours. You bought it. What you do with it is completely up to you. But, if damages and warranty issues occure do to not following warranty policies, you may be denied any repair coverage". In my previous life before retirement, there were many times I had to say "NO" to repairs to a unit if only......a hitch or other items had not been welded or bolted to the frame.

I am not trying to stir any controversey. I know there are a lot of people that have done this with a good deal of success. That's OK. I, for one would be looking at the purchase of a toy hauler if I had to carry anything that would require the use of a utility trailer for the sake of safety and the structure of the unit.

Thanks for letting me express my opinion.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
This turned out to very informative. When I had my unit in for front closet damage and suspected front frame flexing, Keystone asked my technician if "I had a heavy duty hitch installed or it appeared I was towing anything heavy behind the RV". Sounds like they(KS) is tying the front frame flex issues with rear hitch weights. I do have the drop frame if that make a difference.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
MIMF without having you talk brand specific when a frame make and then a RV manufacture design a camper with a 55 gal. water tank at the rear of the trailer do they build the trailer strong enough to support that weight when you travel? I don't plan on traveling with a full tank of water but can't recall reading anywhere that trailers aren't to be used in this manner. The last thing I want to do is put you on the spot that is why I am talking in general.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Dennis,

I read your response and question last night and have been trying to recall. In almost every floor plan, model or brand I can think of, they are generally all designed and built so ALL holding tanks are slightly in front of or above the axles. There may be some units out there where a holding tank may be at the tail end of the unit. If so, I'd bet that it is a grey or black tank and not a fresh water tank. That is because, the grey and black tanks each hold about 2/3's the capacity of the fresh water tank. In-other-words, the grey and black tanks each are 35 to 40 gallons and the fresh water may be 55 gallons.

Is there something in specific you are thinking about?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #18
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
All 3 of my Montana's (2850RK, 2980RL, 3150RL) have had the fresh water tank at the very rear of the frame will very little to support them there I might add.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:52 AM   #19
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
MIMF I'm leading to the rear 55 gal. fresh water tank, with it full that would bring the weight in that tank to 440lbs. I have a hitch welded to my frame that I use a swivel wheel trailer with. If campers are designed to be pulled with that 440lbs of water in the fresh water tank and instead I travel with that tank empty and have my swivel trailer weight on the frame shouldn't that be considered the same load weight. I would like to stay with in the safe loading ranges of the camper frame!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #20
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Ours has the fresh water tank at the very back of the trailer.

I have posted the link to the Interstate regulations. The Florida DOT regulations have the same requirements with out calling out the Commercial Vehicle.

Bottom line is there are few fifth wheel travel trailers that are eligible for double tow in Florida.

Phil P