Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
2nd AC not cooling

Thankful for 80 degrees today in Tucson. Turned on the air for the first time on 2011 and bedroom ac is not cooling. Fan is running but no cool air. The main ac in rear living is working. As I remember the ac's were working when had walk through but was in a building and didn't check the coolness. Fuses seem okay as far as I can tell. Any thoughts? Another call to dealer in Tennessee tomorrow but one ac should be okay until we return - hopefully!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Turn off the breaker to the A/C unit and try cycling it on again. When you do, run the fan on 'On', the compressor will try and start after a delay, listen to see if it hum's or makes any noise. Make sure the thermostat is turned up high enough, (6 or 8 degrees) above room temperature in case the thermostat is out of calibration .
I am not familiar with the new Montana thermostats, so I may not be of much help, but resetting it can't hurt.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ozz, why should the thermostat temp be set higher? If one is testing the A/C wouldn't you want the temp low to try and force the air conditioner on?

If the BR A/C is also connect to the main thermostat, check for the Zone settings. In this config one A/C is Zone 1 and the other is zone 2 and I think they can be set independently. Also check for manual and auto modes at the thermostat panel and on the A/C Unit itself. Lastly, is there a remote? For some items the remote overrides things and can only be controlled as such.

I hope it isn't a bad unit. This would be so inconvenient.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I think Art has the general idea. The two AC's are set up as zone 1 and zone 2. Check the settings on the thermostat, make sure both zones are set for Cool (sounds like one is set for cool and the other is set for fan only) and for a low enough temperature for the AC to kick on.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Ozz, why should the thermostat temp be set higher? If one is testing the A/C wouldn't you want the temp low to try and force the air conditioner on?

If the BR A/C is also connect to the main thermostat, check for the Zone settings. In this config one A/C is Zone 1 and the other is zone 2 and I think they can be set independently. Also check for manual and auto modes at the thermostat panel and on the A/C Unit itself. Lastly, is there a remote? For some items the remote overrides things and can only be controlled as such.

I hope it isn't a bad unit. This would be so inconvenient.
yes, my brain seems to be reversed..
Old 02-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Yes, both zone 1 and 2 are set to cool. I have noticed zone 2 (bedroom) "inside temp" reading appears to be irratic. Just realized both zones have separate "inside temp" readings. Learning a lot on this shake down cruise. We have a independent thermometer and zone 1 seems very close to it and does not vary up and down as zone 2 seems to do. I assume this "internal" temp reading drives the ac unit. We have adjusted the temp setting on cool for zone 2 to be below whatever "inside temp" reading and still no cool air. Has there been a posting where the thermostat can be reset by cutting power? I have turned the ac breaker off and back on to no avail. Are there two separate breakers? It is hard to read the breaker and fuse identifiers in the fuse box. Who marks these things? I have noticed this in stick houses owned also.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Somebody provided this reset procedure on this forum awhile back. Not sure it applies to your model. 11. The four button thermostat reset:
1. Turn all zones OFF.
2. Press and hold temp UP and DOWN buttons together.
3. Press and release MODE button once.
4. Release temp UP and DOWN buttons.
5. Press and release MODE button once again.
6. Thermostat light goes out indicating reset is complete.
Hope it helps, Jim
Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Lately with the really cold temps, most discussions have been about heat and furnaces lately and therefore easy to reverse. Ozz, I was only afraid I was gonna have a new trick to worry about and I'm at that age where I have to be selective about what gets in there, so I'm glad you cleared that up.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Lately with the really cold temps, most discussions have been about heat and furnaces lately and therefore easy to reverse. Ozz, I was only afraid I was gonna have a new trick to worry about and I'm at that age where I have to be selective about what gets in there, so I'm glad you cleared that up.
You are kind, I know what you are talking about, things come harder as our brain transforms into a chunk of Granite...
jimcol is 'spot on', try that navybanker.
On the furnaces areound here in homes, I have the customers kill the breaker to the furnace and reset it [120 volt] that clears the faults, sometimes saves them a service call if the electronics get confused in the safety and fan control boards.
Good luck with it, keep us posted.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #10
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
I guess I am having the same problem just reversed. My bedroom unit works fine and the main a/c will turn the fan on but will not start the compressor and cool. Was planning to have the dealer check it when I have rig serviced this spring. I wonder if it is something simple as a reset.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
This may be out in left field, but I am assuming that the rigs are on a 50 amp feed. Not sure if 30 amp feed is enough to run both AC's?? anybody know for sure?? Keep us informed, there are many of us with two AC's that may need the resolution and cause for future reference.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:42 AM   #12
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
When we got our unit, it was cool weather, so we didn't check for anything except that the air conditioner came on. Later I discovered that it didn't cool because it had lost its freon charge. Don't overlook that possibility.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

This may be out in left field, but I am assuming that the rigs are on a 50 amp feed. Not sure if 30 amp feed is enough to run both AC's?? anybody know for sure?? Keep us informed, there are many of us with two AC's that may need the resolution and cause for future reference.
Bingo
Bingo, I don't see Keystone building that kind of intelligence in our units. If on 30 amp feeds and both units tried to run I think it would pop the main breaker either in the unit or at the pedestal. I could be wrong on this but if so it is the first time today. Of course it is early and I got up late. Jim
Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Duhhh,
Talk about going brain-dead. I should delete that post, but I will leave it there for laughs!! The really dumb part is that I know that from trying to use the generator. It would power the 13,500 BTU unit but would kick the breaker on the 15,000 BTU unit.
Bingo
Old 02-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
WOW, Like you are the only one to go brain dead on this forum. If you pull yours I'll pull mine but then what are the others going to laugh at. Jim