Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Bracket for fire extinguisher

Does anyone know where you can order parts online for the Montana? Do you have to go to a dealer for them to get it for you? Looking for a new bracket for the fire extinguisher that goes on the wall by the door. Thanks Looked on the keystone website and didn't see anything for ordering parts....

cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I would try to find the manufacturer of the extinguisher first. You might have better luck and cheaper.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Oh yes great idea, thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Actually the manufacturer was a dead end so I called the dealer where we bought the 5th wheel and they have the part in stock
Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
WalMart has the same brand fire extinguisher. We had to replace ours. Used it on a grease fire in the site beside us. Bought two replacements. Put one in the basement.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for reminding me about the fire ext. I have had mine for 3 yrs and I would like to replace it. Not that expensive I believe. And I also believe that if you buy the extinguisher, the bracket usually comes with it?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hmmm... dim memory from past fire extinguisher training, are you supposed to give them a shake-up every once in while to stop the powder from packing down? I would think that an extinguisher mounted in a vehicle would be very prone to that. Any fire extinguisher experts out there?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Yes, John you are correct. At least once a year If I recall correctly from one of our Rallys. Just turn them upside down and shake them. In my case, I prefer to spend the bucks and just get the equivalent replacement. Same with my boat.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I have been a Carrer Firefighter for 33 years now and I would like to pass on some advice on Fire Extinguishers.

First of all, the extinguisher that is provided with the trailer is junk! They are about the cheapest ones on the market and there is no guaranty that they will even work when you really need them. Do yourself a big favor and replace it right away!

When you are looking for a replacement Fire Extinguisher, open the box they come in and look at the head or handle on top of it. If it is Plastic - put it back on the shelf and keep looking.

You want a Fire Extinguisher with a metal head. They are the only ones that can be re-serviced after use and they will function each time and every time. They only cost a few more dollars then the ones with plastic heads but it is well worth it for the security and peace of mind that they provide. When I worked at the Fire Department we would have people stop by and ask us to re-service their extinguishers. If they gave us one with a plastic head we would throw it in the trash and give them a good one with a metal head.

Another suggestion would be to look in the phone book for a Fire Extinguisher company in your area and call them. They all sell the good fire extinguishers and will set you up with the right one for what you need it for.

There are also different types of Fire Extinguishers to be used in various situations. The most common type is a ABC Multi-Purpose, Fire Extinguisher which would be the best type to use in the camper. It will work on all types of fires.

Hope this helps and sorry if I got a little wordy here. Just want everyone to be safe and to have the right equipment available to them. One last tip....Don't throw the old Fire Extinguisher out when you replace it with a better one. Use it to train all of your family members on using a Fire Extinguisher and let them all shoot it for practice. When the real emergency strikes that is not the time to be reading the instructions on the label and trying to figure out how the extinguisher works. Just shoot it off outdoors away form anything as they do make a mess with all of the powder floating around.

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I still have the extinguisher that came with my rig, however, I have also purhased a 5# ABC for about $35. I have it inspected each year for a cost of about $8. I keep it next to the steps going up to the bedroom.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Good advise about using the old extinguisher for practice. I hadn't thought of that. I bought a good ABC extinguisher and mounted it in the basement. I need to get another one for the bedroom.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #12
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Thanks Scott for all the good information, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
PackerFan, well said! There can never be too many words on this knowledge.

Fortunately, I was aware of all these limitations and recommendations since I was responsible for all engineering labs for the past 20-25 years and this was part of my regular lab safety training. I used to get irritated at the companies I worked that didn't provide this training information to ALL our lab users. I took it upon myself to include this info in a "new employee" packet for our lab users. I used to get a lot of "I didn't realize there was so much to be cautious about" comments.

Thanks for the information.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote