Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Yellowing plastic

When we had our SOB 5th wheel, our stove vent was yellow, while we were washing it one day I tried some Castrol Superclean (bought at W-mart)whitened it right up, but be very carefull with it as it streaked the paint on the other trailer. It was metal siding. I imagine it would remove the finish on the trailer as well. It whitened up our dryer vent also.

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Our Montana hasn't changed to the yellow, but we have another camper and the refrigerator crate on the outside turned yellow, so we got some white Krylon spray paint and now it looks like new. We did that several years ago. If the Montana plastic stuff ever turns yellow, we'll repaint it too. Just a suggestion. It worked for us. I believe we got the idea from someone on the Montana Owners website.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Roamingusa

When we had our SOB 5th wheel, our stove vent was yellow, while we were washing it one day I tried some Castrol Superclean (bought at W-mart)whitened it right up, but be very carefull with it as it streaked the paint on the other trailer. It was metal siding. I imagine it would remove the finish on the trailer as well. It whitened up our dryer vent also.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
Be careful with the Castrol SuperClean or Simple Green. They have a tendency to etch aluminum and cut thru some finishes. Had a friend that sprayed his custom hot rod to clean the brake dust and it etched all the hand polished pieces on his front end. I also have had it remove some of the finish on a polished wheel.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have used Awesome cleaner and it seems to work.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
The Mr. Clean eraser works well on the vents it takes yellow off and leaves it white. Also works on the black streaks on the roof.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Bar Keepers Friend has worked the best for me so far. I've tried everything else and it works the best (other than painting). Rub it on with a sponge....let it sit a minute or two and wipe it off with a wet clean cloth. Turns yellow to white easily, and just one container will outlast the RV.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Vent cover with the flap for the kitchen exhaust fan went way yellow on ours. Then the little pegs on the end of the flap broke. Scoured most known RV parts catalogs, couldn't find a match. Finally found one in a catalog, had to buy through a friend who had a wholesale account with the place. It was an off white color too. Pins on the flap broke the first time I moved the flap! GRRRRR!
Walked in the dealer where I bought the Monty one day, and he had a whole stack of 'em.........$8.00/ea. Bought one, put it on, looked great. Bought another for a spare. Put it away for when I need it. Can't remember where I put it? Guess I'll buy a couple more put 'em somewhere else. Maybe I'll get lucky when I need one.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote