Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Window cover for outside rear window

I know I've seen this posted on MOC in the past but can not find now. Who out there has installed and outside window shade on thier Montana rear window to help keep out heat from the sun...Getting warm down here in the desert and thinkin we are probably going to have to do something. Thanks for all your help. Dave and Teresa

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave and Teresa,
Although I don't have an outside shade, I do have a tinted (darkened) window. Along with the day/night shade it does a pretty good job of keeping the heat out.

I mention this because there are some products out there that you can "stick" on that will considerably reduce the heat transfer.

Definition:
" A material applied to window panes that controls heat gain and loss, reduces glare, minimizes fabric fading, and provides privacy. These films are retrofitted on existing windows."

A Google search on "window reflective," will yield a lot of results.

Just a thought.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We have a '07 3400RL with tinted rear window and day/night shades as well, but it was 92degrees today and when the late afternoon sun hit the window i was pretty warm. Just trying to make the unit as comfortable as possible and not run AC from sunrise to sunset.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Living in Texas, I do understand.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
hoserwv
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7711
CHECK OUT CAREFREEOFCOLORADO.COM I PURCHEASED A COVER FOR THE REAR WINDOW OF MY 3475. IT HELPS TREMEDOUSLY AT THE BEACH. ALSO EZ TO INSTALL.
hoserwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had an outside pulldown shade installed on the rear window by our dealer. It's from A&E. The width is, I think, 72 inches. It is about half an inch narrower than the window, on each side. Not even noticeable. It works well.

I suggest you have the lower clips installed so the shade does not keep the lower window from opening. We added additional clips so we can cover the lower window, or not.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
I went to Home Depot and picked up some aluminium window screen channel and some shade cloth. Just cut the channel to the width of your window then cut the cloth to the highth plus two or three inches. When done it looks like a window screen,but without the channel on the sides(this way I can roll them up).Strips of velcro hold the top and bottom to the window.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:08 AM   #8
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I had a shade made for the back window of our unit this past February while in Florida. It is the same sunshade that motorhomes use on the front windshields of their units. I had the guy make and install while we were there. He install snaps around the windows at the rear. I have an RV lot in the Ga. Mtns. and get the afternoon sun and would lower the shades, but I would lose the ability to see out of the unit. I feel this will work for me.
This is not a privacy shade, it is strictly a sunshade. It looks very good on the unit and it is black. Cost was 100 bucks.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:37 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We are going to get the outside shades soon, I tried closing the verticle blinds but the heat then builds up behind them and that is still inside. The outside ones may heat up but they also are exposed to the breeze so they can dissipate the heat buildup before it is transfered inside.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We have a Carefree of Colorado sunshade on ours, ordered it at installed it ourselves. Works great, seems that everwhere we park the sun comes in the back window. Even with dual pane windows it gets hot, the shade works and helps a lot.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:37 AM   #11
go185
Established Member

M.O.C. #1717
Hi Dave and Teresa, we had a shade installed on a 2955RL over a year ago. We really like it and feel it does help keep the RV cooler. Seems like the back end is always facing west in the hot sun. Ours is a carefree. The guy who installed it sells A&E but doesn't like this product of theirs so he installed the Carefree. It fits the whole window. Rex and Sharon MOC 1717
go185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:54 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have the Carefree of Colorado Sunshade and it really makes a difference.
Without the Sunshade and the sun beating on just the window shades just sitting in the recliner and kicking back it was like having your head in an oven. With the sunshade it is a world of difference. It was one of our best investments.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote