Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2020, 11:04 PM   #21
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Our last Montana was a 2017 model at 43' with 4 slides. In 2019 we downsized to a 41' Montana with 5 slides. If there was a 65' Montana with 10 slides and wifey liked the floor plan I'd be pulling it.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:14 AM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Just tell the park it's shorter. They have compensated for very poor maneuver-ers. my title says 37' brochure said 37' - 10" my 100' tape says 39'- 10".. we tell them 36' never have an issue.
I agree, a lot of parks will state that a site is good up to say 35 foot. When you get there and in the site, you could have been 20 foot longer. If nothing is behind the pad, the campers ass end can overhang that.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #23
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just be careful giving a shorter length. There are parks we've been to where yes they say 40' max and you could be 100' and still fit. But like where we are presently at Algonac State Park Michigan they are very strict and if it says 40' it's 40' and don't back past the power post are you'll be moving.
So just be careful.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #24
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
Maybe this video will help.

https://changinglanesrv.com/rv-trip-planning-and-gps/
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #25
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
Check this video as well.

http://https://changinglanesrv.com/measure-your-rv/
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #26
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldharley View Post
i didn't ever worry about the 40' montana when pulled with my truck. this new rig you better know where you are going. But with some planning we have had no issues. trailer is 44' truck is 30'
WOW!!!!!! That is one serious hauler!!!! What a bitching semi!!!

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:38 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What Montana model is44 feet long////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #28
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Here in the PNW campgrounds are often booked to capacity 6-9 months in advance. WE gave up on spontaneous trips regardless of size (meaning 32' and over) as last minute (week or month planning) is challenging.

We spent last year looking for Private RV Resorts and found one lake front on Lake Chelan Washington (which is one of Washington's most popular summer vacation destinations). No reservation needed just show up, in 18 years they have never turned anyone away. There is about 150 members and 38 very large and private camp sites that will all easily fit our 40' 3791RD in fact the campgrounds allows two RV's per site if you want guest, that is how big the sites are and 1/2 are waterfront camp sites. Better yet they have storage there so we leave our tow vehicle and 5er there and drive our wrangler over, hook up and move it a few hundred yards and settle in for two weeks.

It is a great concept campground we are allowed 2 weeks in then 1 week out, however for that out week you can remain in the park and pay $35 per night then reset your two weeks. We paid $12K for the membership and our Dues is $420 annually, that's it. We have already spent about 50 days there (would have been more but opened late with Covid) so financially it is a huge win just this year so far alone assuming the same site at other comparable CG would be $80-$125 a night we have already gained about $4000-$5000 in use so far and will be there yet another 30 days before end of year. Not to mention saves us more then 300 miles round trip in fuel (which more than pays for our annual dues) since we do not have to tow.

This was a game changer for us no more campground availability anxiety, no reservations, waterfront campsites. The best part is because it is a small private RV resort you see the same folks and make friendships, it becomes very social (with distancing of course).

Here is a typical campsite

Here is the Lake front View

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #29
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I don't find that our 38 foot and a couple inches 5er (by my tape measurement) isn't always the problem but hooked to a long bed truck has made a couple CGs 'unavailable' with the 53 foot overall length. This truck's turning radius just isn't what the previous SB truck could do for backing into/pulling out of a tight site. It sometimes is interesting pulling out when you are hemmed in by other RVs and vehicles too. CGs in the Northeast are often older, built for TTs and other RVs that were 30 feet or so while the Mid and Far West tend to have larger spaces - or so we have found on our trips
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:20 AM   #30
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
If there was a 65' Montana with 10 slides and wifey liked the floor plan I'd be pulling it.

Don't start giving Montana that idea!
Old 08-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #31
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Don't start giving Montana that idea!
Why not??? The more variety the better. And for some of us bigger is better!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:24 AM   #32
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdrd View Post
We have a 3931FB and we are finding it very big to schlep around. I told dh if we stay in one place more than 2 nights it may not be such a big deal. Also we find we have to know where we are going and where we want to stay because at 41.6 feet spots are not easily available.
I see new 5ers are even bigger. So do we sell and go smaller or deal with it and hope campgrounds will come around to the bigger size RV's? We only used the unit once. I DO love having 2 bathrooms.
What is your take or experience with this?
We are not retired yet so time is of the essence, although we bought this figuring we would be retiring in a year and half.
Please discuss.
I will assume that you plan to be full time or at least most of the time when you retire? If that is the case, having been full time myself, I can tell you that bigger is better for full time or even extended time use. Not everyone will agree but my general thoughts are if you are full time and not moving to a new location every day then go big. If you are moving everyday and not always sure of your next destination then maybe a smaller rig or having a generator where you can do a parking lot till you find an acceptable spot might be a better choice? In fact, if I was going to be moving every day that is the one time I might look into a Class A motorhome but get ready to spend a LOT of $$$$ if you try to live like that!!

If your like a lot of retired folks and stay at one spot for a month or more and then move to the next spot (or maybe even have a winter spot and summer spot) then you will find that there is no reason to give up the extra living space, you just plan well enough to make sure to get in a spot ahead of time. The concern for small sites is often overblown. Campgrounds are coming around and it is getting more and more rare to not be able to find a spot in one. And the ones that can't accommodate larger rigs are usually older, poorly maintained parks you wouldn't want to stay at anyway.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #33
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
RV Size

Quote:
We have a 3931FB and we are finding it very big to schlep around. I told dh if we stay in one place more than 2 nights it may not be such a big deal. Also we find we have to know where we are going and where we want to stay because at 41.6 feet spots are not easily available.
I see new 5ers are even bigger. So do we sell and go smaller or deal with it and hope campgrounds will come around to the bigger size RV's? We only used the unit once. I DO love having 2 bathrooms.
We are not retired yet so time is of the essence, although we bought this figuring we would be retiring in a year and half.
Please discuss.
We bought a 3820 FK to retire with in 2 years. We use it a lot now, and have not had trouble getting into CG's (with reservations). Most of my friends have big 3 axle toy haulers that are 44' (4' longer than my Monty). Our length keeps us out of many national park CG's, but we typically can find nearby KOA's or BLM land that are no problem getting in to.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #34
Mac & Dee
Established Member

M.O.C. #21936
We have a 3930. We love it. Have been from Much. to Gulf coast in last two years plus other places. Don't be afraid to use it to get used to it. It will come together. Just have to plan ahead more. Happy travels.
Mac & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #35
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Please discuss.
Take it back to the dealer and tell them you want a shorter model. I am sure you will walk away with a decision on whether you want to keep it or not.😉
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #36
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
Old Harley’s pic. Take what ya got, do what ya can.
Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #37
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
We just spent the weekend moving trailers for my friend that owns the park where we live. They were all 5th wheeler's and all over 40 feet long. No problems with getting them into any sites and getting them set up. I started looking at the 5th wheel's that are in the park here. All of them are between I would say 38 and 42 feet.

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #38
Kruskop's
Established Member

M.O.C. #22567
We have the same unit. First of all I look for 39’ spots as I will hardly find any if I say 41.5. We have never had an issue as most spots will accommodate a longer RV than their online registration states. We do prefer pull through when staying over 1 night going from one destination to another. Now that you’ve experienced all the awesomeness of your unit it may feel like a big downgrade in a smaller unit (my opinion). But you really have to do what your comfortable with. Good luck!
Kruskop's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #39
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
wow is that a smart car crushed in the middle? Crazy!
hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
42 foot, big unit, go smaller