Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2020, 12:39 AM   #1
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
Winter rising

I want to use the air pressure method to winter rise this year. I’ve never done that before. I know to use between 30 40lbs of pressure. Do I open all the faucets and blow it in to my gray tank, or will just opening the low point drain purge all my lines? Thanks in advance for any tips.

Worthington MN
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First I open the low point drains and everything inside, then I close everything inside and have my wife open each faucet and flush the toilet while I'm putting the air in. Then we put a little RV antifreeze down the drains that have P traps and in the toilet to keep the seal good. If you have a washer you'll need to put some in there also and run the spin cycle to make sure the pump is full of antifreeze and not water.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
"When" we blow the lines, I do it the same as DQDick above. I hold the air hose on the water inlet air stem while my wife goes around each faucet and turns on each one, one at a time.

Note: we never pressurize the lines. I bring my air compressor up to full pressure and then the wife turns on the first faucet. I then connect the air hose (like putting air in a car tire), and as soon as the faucet starts spitting air, she turns on the next knob. Meanwhile, the air compressor has now kicked on attempting to refill itself. This way, there is never more pressure in the lines, except what is needed to push the water out.

We have to do it this way, because my air connection "thingie" is like a car tire valve stem. If the hose is not held on and pushed down, it doesn't stay. I'd never use one that hooks on, unless the air compressor has the ability to adjust a max PSI output. And if so, I think 40 PSI max is about as far as you want to go.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
sameo sameo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
First I open the low point drains and everything inside, then I close everything inside and have my wife open each faucet and flush the toilet while I'm putting the air in. Then we put a little RV antifreeze down the drains that have P traps and in the toilet to keep the seal good. If you have a washer you'll need to put some in there also and run the spin cycle to make sure the pump is full of antifreeze and not water.
But add: blow out the the fresh water tank fill line, the black tank flush line, the water pump and all the related lines associated with that, pink stuff for p-trap for washer, any more?
I was a die-hard anti freeze guy for 30 years. Last year I decided to try the air method, no freeze ups or broken lines. I did use a large compressor though that helped.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:57 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I do about the same without the wife. With this handy air chuck attachment no one is there to critique my work.
Set compressor regulator 40psi. Use one of these to attach compressor to water fill valve: https://www.tooltopia.com/_img/MIL/MIL598.jpg
Old 09-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I use one of these;

https://www.amazon.com/Minimprover-W...a-901738736349

Works great. I use 40psi and start with faucet nearest the compressor and work back.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I pressurized every thing including the hot water tank. Then I open each valve unit air comes out. Then I let it set unit the next time I’m by the camper usually the next day and do it all again and again until I’m still there is no more water in the system. I just leave the compressor hooked up until I’m finished which is usually a couple weeks. I set the compressor for about 30 to 40 pounds like someone else said.
I much prefer this over the pink stuff as I don’t get any pink stuff in my water.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote