Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #21
cghsatx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgeisser View Post
Hi
My wife and I are getting ready to buy a new Montana 3020 rl . The six point auto leveler is the selling point. We have been traveling in a 2004 Carraige Cameo 29rks3 (3slides / 30’ ) for 5 year with no Problems at all . I am already nervous about the cash outflow for the new unit , but after reading about all the problems, quality/ quality control / support issues I’m having second thought .I read another review that’s said Keystone had the 2nd worst problems of manufacturers for 2020. I can see the issues reported here are over several years in your form . Should I be concerned ? Has the quality slipped in resent years ? Are there a lot of problems buying a new unit? Or is just that problems that gets All the press, ? We have seen the 3020 Montana just once,and we loved its look at first site, We plan on driving 9 hour to buy the unit in 6 days. Getting cold feet ! Thank you for any comments .
I have a 2019 3731. I agree that probably most forum activity is due to issues, so its not exactly balanced. HOWEVER, if I were you I'd back out or at least check a few things before you are committed. If you close and want to give it back, it may cost you 20% of what you paid. I dont know the floor plan but if it has sofa "beds", is there really a mattress or anything to actually sleep on? If you have a King mattress, do you have a king foundation or does the mattress hang over? Is it usable? Will you need to buy another one right away? Do you have the paper veneer bathroom door that will probably start peeling off within a few months? Does it have Dometic AC units? If so, just dont buy it. Best if it doesn't have cable slides but not a deal breaker. Does it have the kitchen table in the slide that mount perpendicular? If so make sure you can actually get yourself and a chair in place to use it. If you extend it out, more than likely it will slope down about 3 inches. I made the mistake of not spending a LOT OF Time looking at other Keystone models and other RV makers and looking for the little things that you typically dont realize until you used it a few times. Good luck. They all have issues but Keystone seems to have more than their fair share. Many forum members can fix things on their own and enjoy it but many of us dont

cghsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #22
Silverado Sam
Established Member

M.O.C. #17348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgeisser View Post
Hi
My wife and I are getting ready to buy a new Montana 3020 rl . The six point auto leveler is the selling point. We have been traveling in a 2004 Carraige Cameo 29rks3 (3slides / 30’ ) for 5 year with no Problems at all . I am already nervous about the cash outflow for the new unit , but after reading about all the problems, quality/ quality control / support issues I’m having second thought .I read another review that’s said Keystone had the 2nd worst problems of manufacturers for 2020. I can see the issues reported here are over several years in your form . Should I be concerned ? Has the quality slipped in resent years ? Are there a lot of problems buying a new unit? Or is just that problems that gets All the press, ? We have seen the 3020 Montana just once,and we loved its look at first site, We plan on driving 9 hour to buy the unit in 6 days. Getting cold feet ! Thank you for any comments .
Hi there,
I had a 2004 trailer and upgraded to a 2014 because I wanted the leveling system. I'm not saying I am sorry for the change but I will say that the leveling system is not all it's cracked up to be. When it works, it is fine but when it desn't it can be very expensive. I just recently had to replace the touch pad and it is $300.00 for a gismo no more complicated than a transistor radio. If you are satisfied withe your present trailer, there are leveling system retrofits for it out there that are a small fraction of the cost of a new trailer.
Silverado Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #23
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Thats a great point. When we had our old unit with no level up, I looked into these guys. Im not sure if there are locations in other states or not.

http://www.bigfootleveling.com/

Could be a better way to go if you are liking your Cameo.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #24
Clark Anklam
Established Member

M.O.C. #23192
I don't know if I'd ever buy another new Montana. We had a 2011 Monty and traded up for a 2017, only because of the floor plan. Still suffering buyer's remorse, as the quality between the 2 years models is significant. Not that we don't love the new one after doing many upgrades to it, but if we would have bought used we could have done the same upgrades, but with a lot lower overall cash outflow. If you can find a good used one, you're money ahead. Our last one, the 2011, the previous owners hadn't used the range at all! So, buyer beware on new ones. Let someone else take the off the lot depreciation!
Clark Anklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #25
stlucia

M.O.C. #13838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Anklam View Post
I don't know if I'd ever buy another new Montana. We had a 2011 Monty and traded up for a 2017, only because of the floor plan. Still suffering buyer's remorse, as the quality between the 2 years models is significant. Not that we don't love the new one after doing many upgrades to it, but if we would have bought used we could have done the same upgrades, but with a lot lower overall cash outflow. If you can find a good used one, you're money ahead. Our last one, the 2011, the previous owners hadn't used the range at all! So, buyer beware on new ones. Let someone else take the off the lot depreciation!
Same here. I highly doubt that I will ever purchase a keystone product again. That being said, after the first few years and working out the issues, it’s been OK.
stlucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:58 PM   #26
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Anklam

Quote:

"Same here. I highly doubt that I will ever purchase a keystone product again. That being said, after the first few years and working out the issues, it’s been OK."

We won't buy another Keystone product. The biggest mistake we made was trading our 2010 Carriage Cameo for a 2015 3790RD in 2016. Nothing but problems with the Montana.
In my opinion, look at putting the big foot system on your Cameo. I found that it worked better than the level up system.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #27
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Out of all the thousands of Montana's out there, I'm sure there are significantly more happy customers than not. You only read about the problems, which thankfully this forum is for, so we can figure issues out. My good friend has a brand new Grand Design Reflection 35' 5th wheel. The main slide for the fridge tore up a small portion of his floor, his fridge is also having issues (All warrantied & repaired) Problems occur with everything. No different than the truck forums.........you only hear the complaints and not much of the good, regardless of manufacturer.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #28
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Out of all the thousands of Montana's out there, I'm sure there are significantly more happy customers than not. You only read about the problems, which thankfully this forum is for, so we can figure issues out. My good friend has a brand new Grand Design Reflection 35' 5th wheel. The main slide for the fridge tore up a small portion of his floor, his fridge is also having issues (All warrantied & repaired) Problems occur with everything. No different than the truck forums.........you only hear the complaints and not much of the good, regardless of manufacturer.
This Above!
Old 08-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #29
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:

^^^^This would be right. Before purchasing this last trailer we looked at lots of different units from lots of manufacturers and did our due diligence. There is no such thing as a flawless RV or RV manufacturer. If one lets a forum like this sway them then they are doing themselves an injustice due to the circumstances cited above. As I've said many times, Keystone still provides the best floorplans and build for the best price - bang for the buck, which I'm all about. The other finalist in our choices for a 5th wheel was a GD, which are virtually clones of Keystone floorplans. The premium they wanted for the GD brand and lack of improved quality led me to the MHC.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #30
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Go get it. We searched everywhere for one, even out of state and they and other quality trailers are hard to come by. I'd literally find one and it would be sold. You only live once.
There are 2 closeouts in coos bay.. one is a 40 foot with front kitchen.. msrp is 98, the have it 4 74.. another is 55000..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying new montana, problems?, quality ?