Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
Charlie W
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23396
Noise at night

Hi all, I have a 3701lk
At night when I walk through my front bedroom the floor makes a tinny sound. And I get loud banging noise at night. Solid as a rock during the day. Sometimes the bang at night will wake me up.
Someone mentioned that it might be my self leveling jacks that there's did the same thing and there's a recall on it, for the oil. does that make sense? They had a landmark 365.
Thanks Charlie

Charlie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Charlie,

If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below:
1. Torco RFF Grade 15
2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15
3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891
For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the audible disturbance.
Preparation:
1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid)
2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.)
3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
Process:
1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir.
2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid.
3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully.
4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid.
5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual.
NOTE: If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:17 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I bought some rubber paving stones at Menards. I put them under jacks, helped a lot to stop popping
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Had the same noise. Lippert manual lays out in detail how to add the antistiction fluid. As far as I know, never been a recall on this issue. Adding the fluid fixed it for us. Minimizing extension length of the legs with some blocks also helps.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Charlie,

If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below:
1. Torco RFF Grade 15
2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15
3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891
For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the audible disturbance.
Preparation:
1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid)
2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.)
3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
Process:
1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir.
2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid.
3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully.
4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid.
5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual.
NOTE: If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.

We did this - (twice) and still have popping from time-to-time! Depends on how hot or cold it gets. We put pads underneath the jacks also - still popping!
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote