Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Cracked Table

Much to our dismay this last weekend we took out our 2010 326RLT Mountaineer and discovered the dinette table was cracked right on a seam where the table is glued together all the way lengthwise on the table and also the leaf. Has anyone else had this happen to them and did you have any luck getting it fixed by Keystone? The crack is a good 1/4 inch wide.

restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Bulldog glue and pipe clamps is the solution as Keystone probably won't accept responsibility for it given the age of the trailer.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would certainly contact Keystone and see what they may (or may not) do.

Otherwise, a good wood glue and strong clamps will probably put it back together fine.

I don't remember anyone else posting about that problem.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
yes, you can clearly see that it is just bad glue joints. I am just afraid that once you glue that joint that another one will just give way.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Make a new top.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Always keep water (bucket or two) in ours when not in use, heat, cold and lack of humidity is hard on wood and glue joints. We have been in several dealers that have buckets to prevent drying of wood while on the lot.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
+1
That's what I would do!

Quote:
quote:[i]Originally posted by moutard

Bulldog glue and pipe clamps is the solution as Keystone probably won't accept responsibility for it given the age of the trailer.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Same unit, 2011, but my table was cracked upon delivery. Keystone sent a new top and its been fine since - now going on about a year and a half.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We have a 2007 3585SA model, and our dining table has split the same way. It's also warped over the last few months, so now one side sort of curls up a tiny bit. You can't tell the warping is there when you're sitting at the table, but if you look at it from across the room, you can see the bit of curl. We are fulltimers, so there's been no humidity change or temperature change to cause the table to split.

We haven't fixed the split yet, but we will with clamps and glue, I guess.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Ours was replaced under warranty for the same reason.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Another option, if you're coming to the Rally, is to visit one of the many RV salvage yards around Goshen. You might be able to get a whole new table for not a lot of money or just the top. Depends on what they picked up cheap last month.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
The extension leaf on ours is cracked like that. It's not that bad yet, my dinner hasn't fallen thru on to the floor yet, so I just cuss at it. Some day I will glue and clamp it.......
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:58 AM   #13
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Contacted Keystone and they politely told me that the warranty was up and that they could be of no assistance. I asked them if they could give me a price for a new table top and they said that I would have to go through a dealer here to get one. Well I couldn't deal with any of the dealers here when I bought the coach new so when I called a local dealer yesterday, he really wasn't interested in ordering me a new table either. He told me I should go to the original dealer that I bought it from. Another reason I won't deal with them again! Anyway I will call me dealer that I bought the Mountaineer from in Iowa and see if I can get any help from them. I thought that Keystone had better customer service but I guess they don't. Sure makes me think that my next rv won 't have the Keystone badge on it. Once they have your money they forget about you
Old 09-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rick,
I don't understand your being upset with Keystone. You said they "politely" informed you that they could not help you. You didn't really expect to get them to replace the table did you? If you have been on the Forum for very long you know that Keystone does not sell retail items. And I believe they won't or don't give out info on their suppliers. I may be mistaken on that but in general I believe that is their policy.

As far as their dealers ---- Well that could take up days of discussion. We all are at the mercy of the local dealer. Sometimes we get lucky and get a good one. Other times we get very disappointed. Most of the time we can try another dealer and often that is enough to get us satisfied. Best of luck with your table. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by restez

Contacted Keystone and they politely told me that the warranty was up and that they could be of no assistance. I asked them if they could give me a price for a new table top and they said that I would have to go through a dealer here to get one. Well I couldn't deal with any of the dealers here when I bought the coach new so when I called a local dealer yesterday, he really wasn't interested in ordering me a new table either. He told me I should go to the original dealer that I bought it from. Another reason I won't deal with them again! Anyway I will call me dealer that I bought the Mountaineer from in Iowa and see if I can get any help from them. I thought that Keystone had better customer service but I guess they don't. Sure makes me think that my next rv won 't have the Keystone badge on it. Once they have your money they forget about you
It would of been nice if you were in the Olympia area as we could of run the table through my saw and reglued the joints that are bad.
One thing you could do is take the top to a local cabinet shop and have them cut the bad joints out and reglue them.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
When I said "politely" I was being sarcastic. They were rude and acted like oh well we don't care that we sell a product that we really don't care about. I am working with the dealer that I bought the trailer from and they are being a hell of a lot nicer than Keystone was! The only problem is that they are 1000 miles from my home. Keystone should take lessons from them for customer service. Keystone also said that they had never heard of this problem before with the splitting tables, huh they should monitor some of these forums and maybe quality would go up a bit. Just venting here, I will buy a new table if I can just find out where to get one, I didn't expect anything for free.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
You might try looking online for a replacement.

Table
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Keystone replaced my table twice and now the third table is cracked.

They do know of this problem, but like all other issues they just play dumb.

Quote:

When I said "politely" I was being sarcastic. They were rude and acted like oh well we don't care that we sell a product that we really don't care about. I am working with the dealer that I bought the trailer from and they are being a hell of a lot nicer than Keystone was! The only problem is that they are 1000 miles from my home. Keystone should take lessons from them for customer service. Keystone also said that they had never heard of this problem before with the splitting tables, huh they should monitor some of these forums and maybe quality would go up a bit. Just venting here, I will buy a new table if I can just find out where to get one, I didn't expect anything for free.
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I would think a good cabinet shop could repair yours. I would ask them to drill horizonatlly into both sides of the table and add pegs when gluing it back together. It won't come apart again if you fix it that way.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:

When I said "politely" I was being sarcastic. They were rude and acted like oh well we don't care that we sell a product that we really don't care about.
Restez... That makes a significant difference. Normally one can put some sort of "emoticon" to indicate the real meaning of one's post.

Being rude is unacceptable! You should let upper management in Keystone know about this!
I am working with the dealer that I bought the trailer from and they are being a hell of a lot nicer than Keystone was! The only problem is that they are 1000 miles from my home. Keystone should take lessons from them for customer service.
Keystone does monitor some of the Forum. Or at least that is what we are led to believe. I'm sure this is an unofficial position.
Keystone also said that they had never heard of this problem before with the splitting tables, huh they should monitor some of these forums and maybe quality would go up a bit. Just venting here, I will buy a new table if I can just find out where to get one, I didn't expect anything for free.
I believe venting is allowed here. Some of us are just too dense to realize it when we read it. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote