Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
2020 331rl

I am a new 331RLHigh Country owner. We are about ready to ink the deal, as we really like it! We are experienced RV owners, so I am turning to the community with a question... What do I need to be on the lookout for with this new unit? Anything stand out? I realize there are petty issues with all of them, but I am concerned of anything big! Thanks and looking forward to our new adventure!

Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard! That's a nice floor plan. Nothing specific to look for but everything in general. Just conduct a thorough PDI to make sure everything works as it should. Look for any signs of leaking under sinks or around the roof/slides. Make sure everything is good or repaired before you sign the deal.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! When we purchased our first Monty the landing gear was cracked and we noticed it because we closely looked at everything. It's not just the manufacturing process, but the delivery driver and the dealer can also cause issues.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
We purchased a 2019 MHC331RL exactly one year ago. As suggested above, find the PDI list from this forum and go over everything on it. We used the list and spent about 2 1/2 hours going through our unit at the dealer.

We've been fortunate to have only a few minor things to address. We did have a plumbing leak in the washer drain, we had to replace the KeyTV controller and we recently replaced our factory mattress with a better one.
A few leaks around the basement compartment doors required some adjustment on my part but other than that, we have been happy with our unit.

Good luck to you on yours. Take your time on the walk through and don't let the dealer rush you. Make them show you "everything" working!
Old 01-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
Roadtravelers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19116
we have the same year and model love it we had a slide cable frayed , a few doors that needed adjustment, we also had a left front jack attachment bolt that was rubbing the LP tank the bolt needs to be turned around so the head is toward the tank and nut is pointing forward. that is it. congrats
Roadtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Enjoy the new rig, good luck it’s your PDI
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Welcome and we'll ditto the previous posts. Hope it all goes well for you .
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #8
rsaylor3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24033
We have the same unit, bought it back in June of 2019. We absolutely love it! Did a long very detailed PDI and caught most things. Took it back after the first trip for a couple more. 5 trips since and still doing great!

One thing I will mention to watch for is the distance front the island to the fridge door. On our first trip, with the fridge lock in place, the fridge and/or island moved enough to dent the fridge door. Lazy days got approval form Keystone to replace the door. They also recommended a few adjustments to the island to better secure it. Lazy days moved the fridge out from the wall and replaced or modified the wood braces behind it so that the fridge sits another 1-2 inches back in the slide. Between these things we have not had another issue with it.

The floor plan is really great! Plenty of room for our two boys, the dog and us we have always liked the large living area and just do a really nice blow up mattress for the boys. 5 minutes to set up and tear down each morning and night, leaves huge amounts of room for the rest of the day!

Enjoy your new camper!!
rsaylor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:19 AM   #9
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaylor3 View Post
We have the same unit, bought it back in June of 2019. We absolutely love it! Did a long very detailed PDI and caught most things. Took it back after the first trip for a couple more. 5 trips since and still doing great!

One thing I will mention to watch for is the distance front the island to the fridge door. On our first trip, with the fridge lock in place, the fridge and/or island moved enough to dent the fridge door. Lazy days got approval form Keystone to replace the door. They also recommended a few adjustments to the island to better secure it. Lazy days moved the fridge out from the wall and replaced or modified the wood braces behind it so that the fridge sits another 1-2 inches back in the slide. Between these things we have not had another issue with it.

The floor plan is really great! Plenty of room for our two boys, the dog and us we have always liked the large living area and just do a really nice blow up mattress for the boys. 5 minutes to set up and tear down each morning and night, leaves huge amounts of room for the rest of the day!

Enjoy your new camper!!

I'm curious, what info can you share for better securing the island to the floor?
Old 01-19-2020, 05:53 AM   #10
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
The islands move while traveling????
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Myers View Post
This must have been a manufacturing defect that had to be corrected. This is the first I've heard or seen of this particular issue. It's not likely to be a common problem. That's not to say that you shouldn't give the island a jiggle in your walk through to test it's stability. It's impossible to anticipate everything that can eventually require a warranty repair but this is why a thorough PDI is important. Humans are putting these thing together...and pretty quickly at that so an inadequate number of staples, nails, or screws is possible at any phase of construction. If you can get away without the need for any warranty repair I think you'll be part of a rare breed.

Our model is a little different but still similar in that everything closes up pretty tightly around the island. We haven't seen any additional movement in ours. We had some loose trim and a couple other cosmetic things in ours but that was it so we feel pretty fortunate. We also had to deal with the leaking slide motors but that's not a concern in newer models. I'm also pretty handy so I'm game for fixing little things myself.

Just check everything you can think of, using a good PDI list, and start your adventures. On your first outing you'll probably start your list of things that will need attention. It's part of the journey...just enjoy the ride.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #12
rsaylor3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24033
I thought it felt fine in my walk through, but apparently it was not. Service department said it was not broken or lose, said the fridge was also secure as it should be. Service department so said they had seen several of the same issue of the fridge hitting the island in our model. They got the approval as I stated above to replace the door. They themselves made the change behind the fridge to get more clearance. Keystone recommend some adjustments or bracing to the island as well. Not sure what those adjustments we're but I will take a look next time I'm at the unit to see if I can find anything that was done.
rsaylor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #13
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hi

Check if you got the slide out motor trays installed.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...t=74690&page=6

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #14
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Myers View Post
I wouldn't say the island "moves". It's more like the floor and the island connection to the floor allows some "play" in it. If you push firmly on the top of the island, it will flex enough to move a little. If the space between the fridge door and the countertop is minimal, I can see why the island might hit the fridge while traveling down the bumpy road.

I would like to see Keystone's recommendation for securing the island a little better and reducing the flex in it!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #15
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaylor3 View Post
I thought it felt fine in my walk through, but apparently it was not. Service department said it was not broken or lose, said the fridge was also secure as it should be. Service department so said they had seen several of the same issue of the fridge hitting the island in our model. They got the approval as I stated above to replace the door. They themselves made the change behind the fridge to get more clearance. Keystone recommend some adjustments or bracing to the island as well. Not sure what those adjustments we're but I will take a look next time I'm at the unit to see if I can find anything that was done.
I will follow this awaiting your opportunity to check it out! Thanks!
Old 01-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #16
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
Love the HM331RL floor plan. 2 years full time. 20k miles. Furnace quit when it got moisture into the control board. Replaced under warranty Kitchen faucet leaked around the handle. Selling dealer ordered new one I replaced it and returned defective to dealer for warranty, also gave me a roll of tape caulk that I used to seal the furnace access door. Overall very satisfied with the unit.
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
As everyone has said do a very thorough pdi (walk through) and make sure everything works. When we bought our 310RE it was a 90 degree day and we didn't run the furnace, two days later we are in South Dakota and 30 degrees and the furnace doesn't work, there were parts missing. Took a couple months but finally got the selling dealer to send me the missing control board. Now we are taking it in this Friday our slide motors are leaking oil and has bubbled the rubber membrane, and we have found cracks in the shower stall. Scares me to think about how they would replace the shower stall.
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:53 PM   #18
Sharmanclan
Established Member

M.O.C. #23552
331RL

Congratulations! We have a 330RL. The main door did not fit correctly and took four attempts to resolve, one of the recliners had been scuffed but was not picked up when the dealer checked the unit and the propane line to the kitchen slide was pinched so gas flow to the stove and fridge (the latter won't affect you) was restricted.

Good luck!
Sharmanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #19
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
We purchased a 330RL in March 2019 and also love the floor plan, the double sink and 40 percent larger bathroom. The 12 cu ft gas/electric fridge that we opted for is very decent size. It has great storage inside and out. I bought this model also because it uses the higher rated axles and tires than slightly shorter models.

Our maiden voyage was a 3 1/2 month, 15,000 mile trip across the US and Canada, down the West coast and back to Virginia. Some roads were godawful. Everything worked, no slide or roof leaks. We're leaving for FL next week until Spring.

I recommended trying down everything because roads can beat the devil out of anything that can move. I roll up a couple of microfiber cloths and stuff them above the sliding wardrobe doors because we hit some bumps so hard it jarred the sliding wardrobe doors off the tracks. We put child locks on cabinet doors. We tie the bathroom door knob to the bedroom door while traveling because road shock jarred them open, seriously. Not only that, we gently tie the tall kitchen faucet in place because some roads flip around the faucet. We couldn't believe the shock the trailer endured.

Yes, the island tends to shake some if you rock it. I thought anchoring it a bit more into the floor. As I said, it's a rolling earthquake and the island is tall and narrow. Two times, the island drain trap nut worked loose from shock and we caught the leak. Now, to be safe, I routinely reach under the sink to ensure the drain pipe nut is tight.

I'm gonna test our furnace on this trip to ensure that it cycles correctly before my factory warranty expires. One small piece of trim came off, and I reattached that.

I did upgrade the original factory tires with Sailun tires before I took delivery. I heard so many horror stories about blowouts, that I was not going to drive across country on factory tires. Peace of mind. I also recommend a tire pressure monitor system.

Given the abuse this trailer endured, I'm impressed.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #20
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
We love our 331RL
Issue with Refer not working while driving. Must manually turn on inverter.
kjohn6363 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2020 331rl