Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
New Knee update

I am now 2 months post surgery for my new knee. I can walk without a limp and can wear long pants without having the material irritate the scar. However I am still having trouble sleeping at night because of positional pain while laying in bed. A pillow helps but pain meds wuld help more. The Dr took me off the Vicodin 2 weeks ago, (thanks a lot Doc) I am taking anti-inflammatory meds. They do help a bit but my at home therapy has slowed because of the pain. Hopefully things will improve shortly. I have gotten a trainer for my bike so I can ride without hitting the road. We took this pic of the bruising on the back of my leg one day after the surgery.

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Glad you are improving, it's a tough road, but you can do it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
The knee is harder to rehab than a hip and the best advice I can forward is to exercise the knee to get all the parts back in working order. If the incision is healed, start swimming, do a lot of stationary biking, and get on an eliptical trainer. Good luck.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I have had full range of motion since the 3rd week after surgery. I will be swimming soon. The new bike trainer works great but my wind is in need of work too. After the Dr took me off the Vicodin therapy got to be a very painful. This slows down my activity including my PT. Now I have to work on the deck to get that finished and I can hardly walk after several hours out there. I thought this would improve a lot faster.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's not a lot of fun. That's why I'm still procrastinating on getting the other one done. Keep working at it. It will get better and better as long as you keep working it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I had my left knee done Dec.6 but it felt loose to me and had a lot of pain. I kept telling them it was loose and finally they agreed it was loose and did a revision on May 4. The surgeon took out a #11 disk and put in a #16 to take up the slack and it seems better on the been loose but I still have the pain. I took Perocet for 3 months the first time and started over with the pills after the revision. My knee still has deep snaps and is swollen. I think I am having a reaction to something in the parts as my pain is still at 5-7+ with the pills. I am trying to talk the surgeon into testing at this time. I want to have the test done by Orthopedic Analysis out of Chicago. We will see next Wed. when I go back to the surgeon. I am tired of pain!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sorry to hear you're having difficulty. I had my left knee replaced in 1994 when I was bowling steadily with the Senior Pro Bowlers Association and really worked hard at the rehab. I only took the pain medication for about three weeks even though I was experiencing pain. My initiative to get back to bowling was what got me through it and soon I had minimal pain. However, I also experienced snapping and clunking and the knee seemed loose. Doctor said that was normal (NOT). After 13 years, in 2007 I had to have it repaired because all the bowling and other activities had worn the teflon meniscus thin so that it cracked and infected the knee. The repair was better than the original surgery--no pain two months after surgery, no clunking or snapping. Since about four months after the surgery I have been pain free (in that area of my body). Have not gone back to bowling yet since I've had two back surgeries since then.

If my other knee were to go bad I wouldn't hesitate to go under the knife again.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Orv,glad to hear you are on the road to a good recovery. You will be bowling 300 before you know it! My problem is I am 58 and have worked as a steamfitter for the last 38 years. I also have been rode hard and put away wet a lot over the years. At this point I would have to think twice about have my other knee worked on. I sure hope Dave gets the cause of his pain figured out so he can give me a few ideas.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I think you all are having the same knee problems I am...that sucker's old!
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I had my appointment with the Ortho Surgeon today, He took xrays and said it was normal pain from Surgery. He did give me a new script for a none narcotic pain reliever, Tramadol, woop woop, it aint a narcotic but it sure as hell works. Had it before and glad to have it again and he has no problem prescribing it for long term. So I am happy and I go back to therapy next Monday. am happy about that too because I thought I needed more strengthening work on my quads. I give it another 4 weeks and I should be back to normal or close to it. I am pain free after only one Tramadol and I get one a day for 3 days then 2 twice a day for 3 days then up to 4 a day after that (one at a time) That is WAY more than I will need I think. I will keep you informed on progress...