Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2009, 03:35 AM   #41
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Steve,
Thanks for the graphic. Tom is right, it says it ALL.

Tom,
Allot of folks refrain from using the grease fitting because if the entire drum center is filled with grease it's not hard to develop enough hydraulic pressure to push the seal out and get grease on the shoes. I agree as Steve's graphic shows, a person CAN grease both bearings from the Zerk. My personal preference is to leave the drum empty in the center so the grease has somewhere to go should I decide to add grease while on the road. Actually, I worry more about the smaller outer bearings. They are usually the first to show signs of wear. When on a long trip I can give a couple of pumps to the inner bearings then it's easy to check the outer bearings. If I'm that concerned, I can inspect and repack the outer bearings without turning the procedure into a big deal. Just in case I always carry a complete set of bearings, races and seals in the tool box. Usually in June or July I pull everything apart for inspection and repacking. Hopefully others will offer their experience.
BTW, I like your signature pic. Is that a Tucker track setup? Where was the picture taken?
John

WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:00 AM   #42
bwney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4633
Thanks for all the replies. Confirmed what I suspected about the price and the work that is needed.

I'm going to crawl under to see how bad the wear is, Nothing is broke, but I can see the bottom of a bolt hole in 1 hanger. From just looking between the tires.

Thanks for the info on the tool needed. We are full-time, and have all the tools except the jacks and jack stands. You know, the weight thing....... I've found the bottle jack for the truck, and a stack of boards will jack up the axle enough to change a tire on the RV. That won't help with the hangers, though.

I'll keep shopping. I may get the repair kit sent here, and carry it along. $150 and $20 shipping.......
bwney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #43
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Brant,
Sounds like you are on your way to safer travels. Wish I were there to give you a hand. It will feel good to KNOW how things work when you are done. Work safe and let us know how it went when you get done. I did an edit on the tools needed. You'll need a grease gun, grease, and rags.
See Ya,
John
Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #44
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
John,
I don't know if it's a Tucker or not, but there can't be too many manufactures of track systems, so it probably is. We saw the truck in Valdez, Alaska. At one point I knew what those systems cost (from another board) but like many things, I have forgotten what it was. I would sure like to try driving one though! I bet they are nearly unstoppable in mud and snow.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:41 AM   #45
bwney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4633
Just an update. I stopped at the Camping World in Wheat Ride, CO. Service guy referred me to a trailer sales and repair business just down the road.

$181 foe parts and 3 hrs labor ($75 an hour)

Scheduled for Tuesday on our way through Denver to the Black Hills.

Life is good.

bwney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #46
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Make sure you get that 3 hours in writing, because unless they have two (or more) guys working on it, there is no way they will get done in that amount of time! I have all the tools they do (probably more) and the mechanical experience, and it took me a tad over 6 hours. Of course I don't move as fast as I once did, but I'm not twice as slow.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #47
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Make sure you get that 3 hours in writing, because unless they have two (or more) guys working on it, there is no way they will get done in that amount of time! I have all the tools they do (probably more) and the mechanical experience, and it took me a tad over 6 hours. Of course I don't move as fast as I once did, but I'm not twice as slow.
I had installed, two new axles, shackles with wet-bolt kits, 4 new 6-leaf springs, and 2 new Dexter equalizers. Labor rate was for 4.40 hours or $385.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #48
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I paid $1,000 for everything out the door. ARGH! Knowing what I know now I paid double than what I should have.

But I wasn't in the MOC and didn't investigate it at all. In your case whatever they quote you, and you get it on paper. If they squawk about taking too long or try to have you pay for their extra time, it's their dime. Since guys like me overpay, it evens out.

btw (off topic) - as usual, Tom S. has great pictures in his signature (I already miss the 'tracked' pickup truck).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #49
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Wen I changed the shackles and the rubber blocks on my 06 I did one side and then swithed over and did the other. took me about two days working real slow and taking lots of breaks. I did not touch the ubolts and when they align the the axles they bent them or rearch. The arch is on the top and u should be able to see the curve. Took then about 3 hours to do both axles
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #50
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am seeing two general prices for these wet bolt shackles (before labor): ~$115 for some and then several $150-$180 posts. Are these 2 different shackle sets? And where are we getting these from? Straight from Dexter?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #51
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

I am seeing two general prices for these wet bolt shackles (before labor): ~$115 for some and then several $150-$180 posts. Are these 2 different shackle sets? And where are we getting these from? Straight from Dexter?
Dave,
I was quoting the LABOR cost for the entire job. The Dexter wet-bolt shackle kit was ~$150. Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Art,
Mine was ~$1300 for everything including labor. You did just fine, if you got the same parts as me.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #52
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Robbie!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #53
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
dsprik,
When I did the original research for this project I discovered there were two HD Shackle kits from Dexter for our Montana's.
You measure the axles from center to center and you have 33-34” that takes Dexter kit # K71-359-00 for about $119.00
OR
You have 35-36” spread center to center and that takes Dexter kit # K71-449-00. That was my size and I paid $167.00.
The kit was manufactured by Dexter and I got my kit from my local RV dealer.
It took me six hours working alone.
Hope this answers your question.
John
Old 08-07-2009, 03:56 AM   #54
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, John! Just the info I was looking for.

With the 2007 3400, I assume I will be paying for the larger amount...

That's measuring center of one hub to the center of the other, right?
Old 08-07-2009, 04:35 AM   #55
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
dsprik,
That is exactly correct. The exact center of the axle is the point on the Zerk fitting so I measured from the center of the black rubber insert that covers the hub. Most of the newer rigs have the 33" axle separation. As you can see from my earlier posts prices vary quite a bit. Probably has a lot with the economy. (Whatever the market will bear)Shop around it's definitely worth the effort.
John
Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #56
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
35". GREAT! I get the more expensive ones... Just what I need - to spend more $$. In the process of replacing rear stabilizers and rear quarter panel on my 3400 (don't ask).

Shouldn't complain. Some one here are facing much higher out of pocket expenses than me.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #57
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As far as the time it takes, apparently a shop with the proper tools are considerably faster than most of us do it yourselfers. When we had our axles and springs replaced and the wet bolt kit installed, we dropped the Montana off at 8 a.m. and picked it up just after lunch. I'm sure it would have taken me far longer but those guys had the tools and the knowhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #58
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I took our Montana for a new Hydraulic pump and asked how much to install the wet bolt kit.They are now installing it for me for 2Hrs labour cost. For that amount I couldn't see myself doing it.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #59
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
2 hrs. labor, what a bargain
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #60
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Clarification please!
Ok, i'm convinced that I need to take a look at my 07 Montana shackles, etc. Does it matter which parts kit if you have Mor/ryde? Is that the same as ez flex. My axles are the 35" measurement. Also, one kit states HD the ez flex doen not say that on the Dexter website.
LCarter
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote