Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
ronaldcbrill

M.O.C. #7424
Slider Hitch

I have an F-350, short bed, 6' 10" long. Slider hitch was not installed and I have had 2 broken rear windows trying to make somewhat of a tight turn, not close to 90 degrees. I would like to hear the pros and cons of the slider please and has anyone else busted out their rear window?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ron

ronaldcbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I've got a 16K Resse slider in a SB Chev. I've used it a few times and probably didn't need to when I did use it.
You will use it more backing up than you will going forward.
Pros and Cons.
Pros no more broken rear windows if you remember to use it unless you have the auntomatic slider. It will take up a little more of your bed space.
Cons...more $$$ and heavier.
Hope this will help you.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I have the same TV set up and a slider.....it has saved me two window repairs when I had the square nosed Sprinter...it was well worth the extra dollars.....I have a new rounded nose RV now and even though I might not ever need it,I will have it there because as you know...we can get ourselves into some very awkward positions........(towing positions)
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Ron to the MOC Family....

NEVER even came close to taking out the rear window and here's why...

If you look at my signature you will see my 3485SA Montana is hooked to my short bed GMC using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding hitch.
I am firmly convinced that the PullRite SuperGlide automatic sliding hitch is the only hitch for short bed trucks. Although an automatic sliding hitch may cost a little more up front, it has some decided advantages.
First, it rules out the possibility of forgetting to slide the hitch rearward before turning. To me this peace of mind of never having to remember to get out of the truck and manually push or pull some lever to activate the slide mechanism is worth every penny of the difference in price. Not to mention the temptation of leaving a manual slider in the potentially unsafe rearward position during highway driving. Also, there are times when manually operating the hitch is virtually impossible, such as during emergency U-turns or when the trailer jackknifes on icy roads. Under these conditions, the extra cost of an automatic sliding hitch could easily be recouped in damages prevented.
Just forget to pull that manual lever one time and take out the rear window, like this guy did, or do body damage to either or both the truck and trailer and I promise you will wish you had that automatic slider. The SuperGlide has an automatic rearward travel of up to 14" while making a turn, going forward or in reverse, that's 50% farther than the manually adjusted "slider" designs. In most all cases, turns as tight as 90 degrees are possible.
The SuperGlide also features the unique, gear driven, automatically locking, latching mechanisms. You won't be dropping the trailer accidentally on the bed rails because there is no safety lever, pin, or locking handle to mess with. The way it works is the SuperGlide wraps 140 degrees around the king pin totally enclosing it into the latch. There is no "clam shell" closure that might open if you forget to lock the release handle in place. The reason the clam shell hitches have potential of dropping the trailer is all the force is pulling against the opening of the latch. When you back into the SuperGlide you can watch the release handle slide close at which point you are locked in. You can also get out and look directly into the opening where the king pin slides into place and see the silver latch totally wrapped around the king pin. This positive locking mechanism is as close to foolproof as you can get. If the release handle is all the way in, the hitch is locked, period. Unlike the "clam shell" mechanism, a pull test to be sure you are locked in is unnecessary.
Another plus is when the hitch is out of the truck "everything" is out of the truck. Absolutely nothing, no rails, no nothing left in the bed to interfere with whatever you want to haul.
You almost have to see it to believe it, either go to your RV dealership and take a look at the display model or contact PullRite and request their FREE video showing the hitch in action. In the mean time read this PullRite Article in RV Lifestyle.
When you consider the total overall cost of the your 5er, your tow vehicle and a manual slider what is another few hundred bucks for the safety, security and peace of mind of a PullRite SuperGlide hitch?

And NO I do not have any financial interest in PullRite other than being a 200% happy user/owner in a SuperGlide.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
In my opinion, there are two types of sliders for short beds..

1. Those without slider who eventually get caught in a tight spot and need to find a glass company.

2... those with manual sliders who most of the time stay out of trouble, except for that one time wen, i think I can make that without the hassle of sliding the hitch, opps

3.... those who make the smart decision, autoslider.. hey a paid a few extra bucks, but this thing is great.

I am a #4. Cheaped out with the manual wishing I went autoslide... so far, no glass issues.. , just the regret and plan some day to get the autoslider .. the most expensive way to autoslider.. start with manual slider, break glass, get frustrated, fix glass, dump manual slider purchase new autoslider

My advise, that the autoslider route from the start..
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I have a manual slider and it has worked fine for me. In fact I have to use it to get the front cabinet open sometimes. (can't do that with an automatic slider).

However, after two broken windows, I definately would look at something a little more passive, like the Superglide. Another nice option is the Trailersaver Slider, that gives you the benefit of an pneumatic slide release from inside the cab plus the benefit of one of the best air ride hitches around.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Ron, the Pullrite Superglide is our hitch of choice. We have a shortbed 2007.5 Chev. I believe the bed is 6'6", shorter than yours. It has been a great product with no disappointments. It's auto and because I'm not an "expert" on towing, Glenn makes all the valid points I could not.

Pro: all parts can be removed and Pullrite is a leader in product design

Con: $$$ in costs and heavy. The base assembly on my Superglide 18K is more weight than one person can handle to remove/install on your own. I can remove and lift the 5th wheel plate assembly and the rails on my own. Good luck.Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ron, I own the Reese "manual" slider hitch and am very confident enough in my backing that if I need it, I "will" be able to remember to "manually" pull the handle.
This is my secong s/b truck it has been in and as of today, it's 7 years old, I have never used it! My Reese cost $872 installed compared to the $2300 for the other brands that automatically slide. Cheap, no, I feel I am capable of getting out of my truck and pulling the handle!
If you feel the need, go for the Superglide and then you won'y have to worry about it!
And, yes, if I ever do break out my rear window, then I will be able to handle the flack that may come my way!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
We put a manual slider in our short bed and the only time we should have used it we broke the window! We were backing into our driveway and had not used the slider in the past. The truck tire hit a rut,twisted the bed and bang, one broken window. The next time we went to use the slider, we couldn't move the bar. Luckily, we didn't need it that time. I wish we had an auto slider.

Judi
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
As an afterthought on the Superglide and its cost, do an internet search and the retail price of $2k or higher is much lower. Many distributors will ship the Superglide and the needed accessories free, no sales tax directly to you or your Rv dealer. FYI. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
We have your same setup. We also use a reese manual slider. Works fine for all our camping. What I would normally do,if I am not familiar with a camping area is when pulling in,I slide it back first thing,that way I am covered for any tight spots. I leave it there until after we dump. I found a couple spots that had a very tight turn to get into or out of,so that way I am covered until we leave the campground. It is just part of my routine,so it is no problem.
I do not know how much you use your unit, but if you are out a lot with it,maybe a auto slider would be a better choice. But that is your decision.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all when you put out the big bucks for a TV and a Monty what is another 1800 bucks for a reputable, time saving, mind easing automatic slider.

Secondly, I have been in situations where I have had to make a totally unexpected U-turn. One case in point was on an 2 lane state hiway where there was a serious accident just ahead. The accident closed both north bound lanes and was subject to stay closed for hours. The State police instructed all drivers to turn around and exit up the on ramp. Without thinking I pulled to the shoulder and completed a full U-turn. The trailer was at a near 90° to the TV. Without the Superglide I never would have made that turn.
Sure had the manual slider owner had the state of mind, during all this commotion, to get out and pull the slide lever he would have not had a problem. BUT, what if he was half way through the turn when he realized he needed to slide the hitch? Too late. Now all he can do is try to straighten out the rig in order to slide the hitch.
You say that's a bit far fetched? It'll never happen to me as I never forget to slide.

Brad,
I have a manual slider and it has worked fine for me. In fact I have to use it to get the front cabinet open sometimes. (can't do that with an automatic slider).
Can't argue that one, I have no comeback as I never had to try to open the front compartment with the TV at an angle from the trailer. You could be right and you can bet I will be checking that out next time I get hooked up.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glen, my 5th airborne is another 1-1/2" shorter, so I cant open the front cabinet even when strait and level unless I move the slider back. I've only had to do it a couple of times to reset the generator breakers.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
You're right, Glenn, if you don't want to get out of the cab and easily slide the manual handle, then by all means, pay the extra $1800 for your piece of mind!
However, having a manual slider, I know I have to do it manually, so, if I had to, I would!
As I said, Ron, you decide if you want to manually slide the hitch or have an auto slider, you are the one that has to justify the extra cost.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:25 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
My estimation of 1800 bucks was wrong as I did some Googleing and found this...

RV Supply Warehouse---PullRite SuperGlide 5th Hitch

and this...

PPLMotorhomes Hitches

These prices are much much closer to the Reese Sliders.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 AM   #16
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Still looks like about half price to me Glenn.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #17
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
By the time you fix the rear window and the front cap you bought the pullrite hitch , so why wait,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've had both the Reese manual and the Pullrite Superglide. Clearly the Superglide is superior in that it eliminates any mistakes leading to damage to truck and fifthwheel. However, I wouldn't say it's the best option for everyone. The manual slider works perfectly fine so long as you don't forget to use it when needed. I did forget, once, and now have the superglide.

I made some pretty sharp u-turns without popping the manual slider and could have popped it if necessary. With the new nose on the Montanas you can turn pretty sharp. My problem came when backing into a site where the truck did not stay level with the fifthwheel. So, that sharp backing turn became a slight collision between truck and FW.

If the Reese fits your budget better, it will work just fine. Just be aware of when to use it. If you will rarely need the slider, such as if you weekend and vacation but rarely need a really sharp turn, the Reese will work fine. I never encountered any road condition where I needed the slider. It was always getting into a campsite I needed it. But the Superglide sure provides a lot of peace of mind and I'm not sorry I made the purchase.

Brad brought up a good point I've not seen before. If your truck comes too close to the fifthwheel front locker door so you cannot open it when hitched up, then the manual slider provides a way to get into that locker. You might need that if you pop a fuse on the landing gear, for example. Fortunately, none of my Fords (1999, 2003, 2005) or my Dodge has that problem. I can open that door when hitched. But it sure is something to check out before making your decision whether to go manual or auto slider.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #19
kingrving
Established Member

M.O.C. #6577
I have only been pulling a 5th wheel about 4 years and I also have the Short Bed Ford. I have used the slider whenever I can't get a real straight line backing into the spot. I just feel more at ease with it in the back position. We were out 2 weeks ago and I pulled into a Walmart Diesel pump and knew that the turn pulling out was to tight so when I was finished pumping I had my son who has never spotted for me when backing got out and was directing. Well I got concerned about a light pole that was directly behind me and cut to sharp, not paying attention to my son who was directing and I barely hit the corner with the Monty. If Wifey hadn't been in the back seat with the grandkids to stop me I would have done some bad damage. So for my vote I'll use the slider whenever I'm backing just for the ease of mind. It gives me about an additional 15 to 20 degs turn radius.

CHeers
Perry
kingrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #20
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
My brother in law had a slider in his SB Dodge and didn't use it when he was practicing backing up. Guess what???? I happened to be at the dealer ordering my LB Dodge when he came in yelling about his broken rear window.

If you're prone to forgetting get the automatic slider or a long bed.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote