Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Found Our Cold Weather Limits

On Sunday afternoon the park water froze up, I put a bucket over it with 100w Halogen flood light, to thaw the hydrant pipe. Ran up to Wally World and bought a bunch of gallons of water for the toilet and dishes. Did not thaw out Sunday so today I went to Lowe’s and bought a 250w Halogen work light and aimed it to the ground and covered it with a 5 gallons Lowe’s bucket to thaw the ground where the hydrant pipe come out of the ground.

Success...... water is now flowing at the park faucet, well it still has not coming out of the 5th faucets. Went in the basement and took the panel off to get behind the convenience center and the pecks pipes where slightly froze. Yes the furnace is on and my ceramic heater is on, anyways I put my ceramic heater and directed the heat towards the pump and pipes and after two days we have water once again. I guess subzero weather is its limits, oh and now all 3 of my tank valves are froze so I can’t open them

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:12 AM   #2
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
On Sunday afternoon the park water froze up, I put a bucket over it with 100w Halogen flood light, to thaw the hydrant pipe. Ran up to Wally World and bought a bunch of gallons of water for the toilet and dishes. Did not thaw out Sunday so today I went to Lowe’s and bought a 250w Halogen work light and aimed it to the ground and covered it with a 5 gallons Lowe’s bucket to thaw the ground where the hydrant pipe come out of the ground.

Success...... water is now flowing at the park faucet, well it still has not coming out of the 5th faucets. Went in the basement and took the panel off to get behind the convenience center and the pecks pipes where slightly froze. Yes the furnace is on and my ceramic heater is on, anyways I put my ceramic heater and directed the heat towards the pump and pipes and after two days we have water once again. I guess subzero weather is its limits, oh and now all 3 of my tank valves are froze so I can’t open them
wow, this sounds awful.
What Temperatures you are in?

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:08 AM   #3
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Our first year in this 5er on the first cold night our pipes all froze behind the CC. When I opened it up to check it I could see daylight below all the pipes. There was an open space between the frame and J-wrap where the factory had neglected to insulate. I stuffed a piece of foam there and put a heat gun to work and thawed it out in about two hours. Haven't had a problem since. I usually keep a remote thermostat sender down there and it usually runs about 60 in that area now. The furnace is right next to it.

I had already put heat tape on the spigot pipe from the valve to just below the ground line. This is a private site so I can do that. If you're in a camp ground and know the temp is going below freezing it's best to shut off the city water at the spigot and use onboard water till it warms up.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:12 AM   #4
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny07 View Post
wow, this sounds awful.
What Temperatures you are in?

Mike
Day time it’s been an average of 8 to 10 degrees, but Sunday night and Monday night had a low of -12. It’s going to start warming up today and by the weekend back in the 40s

2017 3160 RL
Old 02-17-2021, 06:57 AM   #5
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I got through 0 degrees when fulltiming while working at the refinery, but only for a few days. Ended up having to cap off the lines to my outside shower in the back because it would always freeze first and then leak.

If I had to fullltime in cold weather again I would hire an outfit to come out and skirt my rv, probably about 3 grand.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:56 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We are having similar historic weather here in Northeast Texas (Longview--Tyler area).

My main purpose of this post is to say that I wish our identity would include states. How many "Marions" are there or "Florences". Big difference between Buffalo, Texas and Buffalo, NY.

Has anyone else wished for this?

View of our country home with 8 inches of snow--in my 88 years have never seen this much snow or below zero ( -4 ) temperature, OR below 32 degrees for a week continuously.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
http://dwilliamson.com/snow245.jpgThis is a link to view of our country home
Old 02-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
Be real, our trailers maybe rated for zero degrees but that doesn't come without many thought out & advance preparations. Maybe a night or two you will get lucky without freezing up but any prolonged expectations of staying frost free without adequate preparations can become very costly. I survived the entire winter last year in Northern Wisconsin and believe me it was alot of work & very stressful at times. It is doable with sacrifices but not as easy as some may lead you to believe. If severe cold is expected sometimes it is best to drain and prep your system for that particular time frame. Frozen lines, faucets, valves & other fixtures become costly & can be avoided with a well thought out advance plan.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our Goal when we started long timing was to tour our great county and stay out of cold weather. We have done so since 2006.The coldest we saw was a few days in Florida during the winter several years ago when it was in the mid 20's for 2 or 3 days. We stayed in Northern Ohio this winter. It was 5 degrees this morning and 26 degrees now. We are warm and toasty in our S&B. The Montana alongside the S&B is covered in snow with the entrance door frozen shut. It will not move till maybe April
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by padredw View Post
....My main purpose of this post is to say that I wish our identity would include states. How many "Marions" are there or "Florences". Big difference between Buffalo, Texas and Buffalo, NY.

Has anyone else wished for this?......
Actually as you have discovered, one can put the full name of your location, including the state in the "Your City" entry in a Profile. But not everyone realizes this and probably assume the next field "State" is propagated to the left pane of any post. It would be handy to have the "State" field show up as I too have had to look a user's profiles to see which Buffalo is actual.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #11
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
We are having similar historic weather here in Northeast Texas (Longview--Tyler area).

My main purpose of this post is to say that I wish our identity would include states. How many "Marions" are there or "Florences". Big difference between Buffalo, Texas and Buffalo, NY.

View of our country home with 8 inches of snow--in my 88 years have never seen this much snow or below zero ( -4 ) temperature, OR below 32 degrees for a week continuously.
Actually, this week I'm thinking there is very little difference between Buffalo TX and Buffalo NY except they probably have more snow plows in NY.

As you can see, I've added my state to the city line in my profile. I recommend everyone do that.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:04 AM   #12
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Not really, we’re not home very much being we travel for my job. In the 3-1/2 years I’ve been on this Forum this has never been a topic, I would gather some choose not too like me.

Anyways, the weather is looking up here in Arkansas from today forward, everyone be safe out their.

2017 3160 RL
Old 02-18-2021, 09:39 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Hi neighbor in Florence, ARKANSAS! We are about 70 miles southwest of Texarkana. Hope you are getting a break from the weather by this weekend.

Or maybe you are in Arkansas and Florence is NOT ? ? ?

Probably one more really cold night--tonight (Thursday) then a heat wave all the way up to 50 degrees.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #14
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Would your tank heaters thaw the dump valves out I wonder?

Mark
Old 02-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #15
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Hi neighbor in Florence, ARKANSAS! We are about 70 miles southwest of Texarkana. Hope you are getting a break from the weather by this weekend.

Or maybe you are in Arkansas and Florence is NOT ? ? ?

Probably one more really cold night--tonight (Thursday) then a heat wave all the way up to 50 degrees.
Today is a great day and looking up, finally above freezing @34. Still the early am will be about 10 degrees but that’s better then -12 like it was Sunday/Monday.

Working in Fort Smith, and your right NOT lol

2017 3160 RL
Old 02-18-2021, 02:26 PM   #16
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Would your tank heaters thaw the dump valves out I wonder?

Mark
No they did not, I had to add RV/ Marine antifreeze to all the tanks and then hot water, got my restroom take working yesterday and finally got my Black tank and galley tank working. I added a gallon to each tank in hopes not to have this issue again, and keeping 6 gallons as spares for those just encase moments.

2017 3160 RL
Old 02-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #17
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
I cut a hole n the bottom the panel to the convenience center and partially put my ceramic heater in it, this will also allow heat to be pulled in and pass by the pump and piping....at least in theory anyways.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1613691718

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1&d=1613691718
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8962290F-B070-4625-AB35-D191E2BEB438.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	8488   Click image for larger version

Name:	2D9C4EE1-AE11-4143-BD53-6977775D2666.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	8489  

2017 3160 RL
Old 02-21-2021, 01:22 PM   #18
Razahoryin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18958
I’m up in the snow below freezing many times a season..Stay self contained in below freezing weather as much as possible..
Keep your dump valves closed and fresh water tank full and disconnect.. the water house and waste hose will transfer the cold to the tanks and belly of the beast..which should be otherwise heated by the furnace or installed tank heaters
Razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:33 PM   #19
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
We were full timers from 1988 through 92 in the Dallas area and our first freezing temperatures gave up a big wake up. Found out try not to have your utilities facing north and in the shade all day. Keep the drivers side in the sun to let the sun keep it warm. We would open the tanks when a freeze would be forecasted. Also we put a heat tape on the water line and had the hose in pipe insulation. We would use two space heaters with one plugged into the pedestal via an extension cord. We also went out and bought some fiberglass insulation in would insulate areas in that compartment. The furnace does keep your tanks from freezing, but that first TT the tanks were exposed.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote