Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Scare lights

The switches for the scare light light up when turned on but the lights themselves do not turn on.
It’s been awhile since I used them, if ever. I doubt that both bulbs could need replacing and the fuse box shows no sign of a blown fuse. Any suggestions? Thx

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Not knowing the year or model of your camper, it's highly possible the bulbs are blown out, unless they are LED light. If they are LED lights, then something else probably going on.

All my previous travel trailers had single filiment 1156 automotive bulbs on the outside lights, even the amber one above the door.

My Montana, now has all LED lights, except for the amber one above the door.

Also, do you have the Dometic Power Channel on your awning? If so, the switch you are turning on may go to the Power Channel. If nothing is connected to the Power Channel, like the floodlight for the fan, nothing happens when you flip that switch.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Again not knowing the year of your rig, if it has a remote and they were turned off with the remote they can only be truned on by the remote.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:15 AM   #4
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
My apologies for jumping your thread. But my scare light would come on by itself. Using the remote it always shut off until now. New batteries didn’t help. On another tread I learned that it’s the grounding at the control box. My question is where is the control box? I’ve got a 2010 3400RL.
Worthington MN
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Your control box should be above the battery. mounted on the dividing wall up high. It has many wires attached to it with screw terminals.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
Thanks. Found it. Unhooked the scare light so it’s not on all the time. Very seldom used the light anyway. Nothing works with the remote. It’s $200 to replace the system with a new remote and controller box. Just not sure if it’s worth it just to use the remote for awning, slides, and landing gear. Something to ponder I guess.
Worthington MN
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Most people, including myself have abandoned the remote system. The batteries in the remote itself do not last long at all.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:28 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
Thanks. Found it. Unhooked the scare light so it’s not on all the time. Very seldom used the light anyway. Nothing works with the remote. It’s $200 to replace the system with a new remote and controller box. Just not sure if it’s worth it just to use the remote for awning, slides, and landing gear. Something to ponder I guess.
For those of us who actually use and like the Remote, the failure is upsetting. But usually the failure can be overcome. And not by paying $200+ to replace the "brain".

There have a been a number of Posts over the years about the relationship between the Remote and the "Brain" it interacts with. Here is one from 2011 that is still applicable and should help you. You could do a Search but this should get you going again.

=======================================
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=47547

This is becoming a common problem. Several members have apparently figured out a bypass to buying a new control module. Basically the problem is an interlock designed to prevent concurrent usage of the external switch and the remote fails to reset. The result is only the remote functions. Replacing the control module is the standard solution as the interlock is built into the control board circuitry (~ $200).

The bypass is to move the ground wire from the switches from the connection on the control module to a chassis ground. This negates the interlock and enable the switches once again. The problem of using the external switch and the remote at the same time is not one I consider an issue.

Here are several threads which supply all the knowledge you need to correct the problem.

Page 4 of the discussion - GTOWag (second post on that page) describes the problem and solution.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...remote,control

Jackel1959 describes the problem and solution with pictures!
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46515

Even more discussion of the problem.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46379

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote