Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
Email From DQDick (?) Dick Montgomeryh

I just received an email from Dick Montgomeryh saying that Oprah says this is the best. The email address is Dick Montgomeryh . Notice the person is from Poland. I recommend you do not open this.

Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:25 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Please don't. You'll notice the H on the end of my last name. That's been hacked from a very early Facebook account not used for years. That account was set up solely to open a business account and never was used or had any contacts. The folks who are getting these emails have never been on a contact list of mine, ever, but are on this forum. I have no idea how this is happening, but am now resolved never to use any Facebook account again ever.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:12 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dick, if you have any access to that FB account, or FB in general, you can report the account as hacked and request it to be closed. That will help, maybe, some.

If you want more specific directions with this, PM me.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
I also received the email but deleted it.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
commish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14397
We quit Facebook over three years ago just for this type of problem.
commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I received the same email this morning. This is the second such email I have received from members of the MOC. I do not open any email that is in the least bit questionable, so no harm done, however if this is coming from a Facebook account that is still active then it must be dealt with, not everyone is as diligent as I and others who have posted here.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Please don't. You'll notice the H on the end of my last name. That's been hacked from a very early Facebook account not used for years. That account was set up solely to open a business account and never was used or had any contacts. The folks who are getting these emails have never been on a contact list of mine, ever, but are on this forum. I have no idea how this is happening, but am now resolved never to use any Facebook account again ever.
Contacts are only from here on the forum? That is playing havoc with my mind as to why not to use Facebook and ....and....set up the security Facebook offers. . That is ok. Every one has choices!!! We choose what works for us personally.

On another note... If there is anything suspicious in my email, I do not open either.....ie something I know is not in keeping with this person. As we know here.... There is a very strong chance that Dick has never served Oprah a DQ? And....if there is a mis-spelling of the name .... That is a red flag. (Guess getting A's in spelling helps with this clue!)

Peace....
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We do several hundred internet orders a year a lot of those from over seas. We started to get a lot from Indonesia and we knew someone was trying to rip us off. Everyone in the firearms industry was getting these orders. We didn't send them anything so finally we got an order from Beyoncé. I thought she lived in California. No she didn't get her powder measure either. I'm sure she was heart broke. Not.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Dick, if you have any access to that FB account, or FB in general, you can report the account as hacked and request it to be closed. That will help, maybe, some.

If you want more specific directions with this, PM me.
Thanks, but this is the second round of this. The first round was a couple of months ago and I took that and my active account down then and I don't plan on having anything to do with Facebook in the future.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #10
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
My email account has been hacked via the problems with Home Depot. Most of what I receive looks like legitimate advertisements from businesses. First thing I look when these are received is the email address of where they were sent from. That is usually a dead give away that it is a scam. I remove all via the junk file as either a phishing scam or a hack. Also, never, never, never open an attachment on a hacked email or respond to it.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:45 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Unfortunately, we have to deal with this type of PITA in our high-tech age, lots of kids in their grandmother's basement (or grass hut in some third-world country) making all of us miserable. I just wish I was better at knowing what is safe. I'm learning...
I have to laugh at all the people that are conned into clicking on some post on their facebook that says something like: If you love your: Country, wife, Dodge Truck, Military, Dog, or whatever, 'Like' this post.
I like them, just don't click on the post...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
Grey Nomads
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8781
Also received email, Did not open. Deleted.
Grey Nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:03 AM   #13
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
If you use the internet this will always be a problem. It doesn't matter what site, what email. You can get a virus off any site period. It's just the way it is. So not using FB is not going to cure it. In fact if you look at it in that way this is coming thru the MOC to some extent. But shutting it down will not cure it. Being careful and paying attention is all we can do. And that by itself won't make it go away...........it's just the way it is.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:35 AM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You have a point, but I was fed up with Facebook for a number of reasons already.