Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2021, 05:14 AM   #1
Gypearce
Established Member

M.O.C. #25095
Lippert levelers loosing pressure

We have a 2020 Montana 3791RD an we are campground hosts for 9 months in one campground. After leveling our Montana all is well for about a week then we start to have movement when we walk around in the camper. I go and make some manual adjustments and that fixes the movement. A few weeks later I have to adjust again. I this normal? I did have one of my hydraulic lines go bad and I replaced it and there is no more leaking hydraulic fluid. Any ideas on how to stop this movement when walking around in the RV?

Gypearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:42 AM   #2
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
When you replaced the line did you make sure the air was bled out of the system by raising your jacks up and down and while doing so looking in the fluid tank to make sure all the air bubbles have stopped. It takes several cycles to remove the air.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I believe the system is self clearing of the air in the lines. I have had the system since 2008, after market add-on. I have the same happen while I am sitting for the winter, but is about 4 week intervals. I have not found a leak, I have wondered about a small leak in on of the piston assembly?
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
What kind of surface are you parked on? Dirt, gravel, asphalt, concrete? If you are on dirt or gravel, it's possible the weight of the trailer on the jacks is causing the ground under the jacks to sink and there really is nothing wrong with your jacks at all. On many occasions, when we first park on gravel, especially new laid gravel, I have to readjust the jacks a time or too. In my previous travel trailer, I had to tighten the stabilizer jacks often on gravel and especially on dirt and grass.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Gypearce
Established Member

M.O.C. #25095
Lippert levelers loosing pressure

Thanks guys for the replys:
DadsHemi: no I did not bleed the hydraulic system. I thought I would have to but the guys I bought the hose from said it would take care of itself (just as BW2 indicated).
DutchmenSport: it is parked on asphalt with plastic leveling pads. Pretty stout I would think.
I'm going to level again; perhaps, there is still some air in the system.
Thanks for the replies and ideas!
Gypearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I have been on multiple surfaces but for short stays week or so the time is too short. On concrete for the winter months. I wonder if the weather conditions, air pressure changes may impact some? (low fronts/high fronts) It is not a big issue so I just make an adjustment as needed.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Occasionally ours does the same. Other times it'll stay solid as a rock. No idea what the difference is. I've got a quart of the CAT fluid to put in but haven't had a real opportune time to do it. I've heard it makes a big difference.

Local CAT dealer had it in stock for about half what folks on eBay were asking.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Gaff the dealer that sold you the hose was right and wrong both. It would take care of itself IF you were on the move and cycling the slides and level-ups for setup and departure BUT not if you are setting in one place for the amount of time you are. My suggestion is since you will be releveling I would hookup the unit to the tow vehicle, close the slides, and rotate the slides and the level-up system numerous times. I know it's a pain the butt but you don't want to level the unit while the slides are out or you can tweak the frames doing so. You can leave yourself plugged into the power post just don't move the unit and just hook up and do the rotations. This will bleed any air out of the lines and the cylinders and put it back into the tank and let it escape through the vent hole. If you want to add the CAT fluid this would be a good time to do so also. Just make sure you remove the same amount of fluid from the reservoir as you add the amount of CAT fluid or you'll overflow the reserve.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The only thing the CAT fluid will do is stop the stiction popping from the system. It will not stop leakage and will not fix the system that has air still in it. I put the CAT stiction fluid in our system in 2013, right after Lippert issued the bulletin about the stiction popping fix, and haven't had any popping since.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:17 AM   #10
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Do you guys retract the slides before you re-level your Montana? I would seem to think that you should but I can be overly cautious at times. If it is just slightly out of level, maybe not necessary?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2021, 07:13 AM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I leave the slides out while re leveling.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:28 AM   #12
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Id do as other OPs suggest and cycle the levelers and slide outs in and out about 3 times each.. pause between cycles to let hyd pump motor cool off

Also.. check the Hydac valves// there are three.. one for LG and one for each mid/rear side levelers and make sure they are turned fully CCW otherwise hyd pressure that holds the levelers in position will bleed past the Hydac valve or valves

The LG has one located directly on either left of right side LG and the mid/rear levelers have two hydac valves located on the manifold board along with one for the hyd slide outs

I run only AW32 with no ATF and have not ever had stiction issues
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #13
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Do you guys retract the slides before you re-level your Montana? I would seem to think that you should but I can be overly cautious at times. If it is just slightly out of level, maybe not necessary?

Thanks in advance
I always level/re-level with slides in. As to the Op's problem, I think a call to Lippert should be made. It sounds like more than a stiction pop.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bob-- Didn't mean to mislead anyone on the reason for the CAT fluid, if I did SORRY! The reason I mentioned the CAT fluid to be added was just incase that may be causing the problem. You are correct in saying that it will not fix a leak or remove the air from the system. It is only used for a striction problem. I just thought I would add that and Gaff would be ahead of himself IF he should have a striction problem or to help possible prevention of one.

To those that level or relevel your units with the slides out-- We were told by the Lippert/LCI reps at one of the National Fall Rallies to ALWAYS pull your slides in prior to releveling and never put your slides out prior to initial leveling at a site. With the slides out it puts extra stress on the frame and the slide out frames when leveling or releveling the unit. This can cause extra stress to the hydraulic rams on the slides also.

Another thing to remember is to check and see what type of fluid you have in your level-up and slide systems. Some units may have ATF in them and others may have regular hydraulic fluid and if you have to add any fluid it is not a good idea to mix the two. This also comes from Lippert/LCI reps at the National Fall Rally.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling jacks, lippert hydraulic system, movement when walking