Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2022, 11:52 AM   #1
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
Water Pump question

Hello all, I have a 6-month old 3231, and noticed something a few weeks ago. When we are using fresh water/water pump on (like at a Harvest Host) , the pump will occasionally/randomly turn ON for a split second, then off. This might happen once an hour, maybe less, and never for more than a split second. I have searched everywhere for a leak but see no evidence of any water leak. Is this normal? I thought initially it might be related to the ice maker calling for water, but turning off ice maker made no difference.

Also, on the topic of water pumps, it is normal when you do have a faucet open and pumping water for the pump to "surge" or should it always be a steady monotone pump sound with no variation?

Thanks!

Robokatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
While running the water the pump will surge. This is normal. If your pump randomly starts and stops you are losing pressure somewhere. If you don't see a leak there could be air in the system that needs to be purged. Run all faucets until air is purged and see if it continues.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #3
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Yep.......same experience on a boat.
Old 10-19-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
Make sure where the hook ups you turn the knob back to normal flow or it will kick on every now and again. Not sure why.
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:30 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Exactly as cotter stated above. Make sure your valve is flipped to Normal Flow and not "Fill". And just an fyi.... if you water pumps starts running for no apparent reason after filling your fresh water tank and it really not pumping water ... you have flipped the RV Antifreeze valve. Both of these valves are easy to flip, or not flip. Whenever you hear your water pump run, and you are sure it should not be, check these two valves in the convenience center. Almost always, these are the causes.

(um... don't ask how I know, or how many times ... um ... my wife responds ... "Honey? Did you flip the right valve?" Oh DUH! That's IT Every time!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:18 PM   #6
Robokatz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28338
Thanks all. I confirmed the valves all correct, and turned on all faucets to make sure no air, but the pump continues to turn on for a split second occasionally. I’m trying to time it, the last 2 times about 30 minutes apart, but I only just started to make note, so that might not be representative as my initial impression was just once and hour or even less. Anyway, your suggestions didn’t cure. I looked behind baggage wall and there is no water on floor anywhere, no leaks under any faucet….now what?
Robokatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:42 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
A shot in the dark here but if I'm not mistaken the pump has a built in check valve of sorts so once it primes and pressurizes it maintains pressure. If the pump check valve is failing that would explain it. The preset pump pressure would have to be grater then the fresh water input pressure.

It just dawned on me.....if you're connected to city turn off your pump! You dont need it.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:19 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Sounds like you have a check valve that’s in the pump leaking back in the tank. I have the same type of pump on my farm sprayers. This problem if it’s a problem comes and goes. Some times worse and sometimes about like you have and sometimes not at all. Something might be under the seat and maybe not. Use it a while and see if it quits leaking if it doesn’t take the pump apart and check the bypass seat.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:21 PM   #9
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
seems like every RV we've owned,(5) the pump always gives a random BRRRR and quits a couple times a day, we've gotten used to it and have never found a leak, the wife says its purring and happy

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:08 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Did you check your water heater. If the drain plug / anode rod is not tight it could be slightly dripping there.

About that surge you hear. Without an add on pressure tank on your system, it takes only about 3 ounces of water for the water pressure in your hard pipe lines to change the water pressure to where the pump turns on and where it turns off. And then again, when it turns off and when it turns on. 3 ounces of water is not much. The condensation on your toilet bowl can easily drip this much on the floor and you may think you have a leak.

So when running water at the faucet, depending upon how fast the water is running, the pump may run constantly while running water, or it may surge on and off. 3 ounces to turn it on is not much at all.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:56 AM   #11
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Having owned boats that had water pumps plumbed as mine is on my Monty I intend to install a pressure tank to end the pump hammering when a faucet is opened. I did this on my boats and was much happier with the pump only running to pressure the water tank to 55psi and remaining off till 35psi. Pump is then very quiet and pressure is very steady at the faucet too. Any reason this is not good idea on a Monty?
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 03:08 PM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
...Any reason this is not good idea on a Monty?
There is no good reason to not do it? OK .... that's a very confusing statement, isn't it.

Put it this way... If you want to add a pressure tank to your Monty, it will be 100% perfectly fine to do so. Folks have been doing this for some time with very happy successful results. Just make sure you provide a way to drain the tank and be aware of how much RV antifreeze you'll need that will be added to the tank. You might install a cut of valve so you can stop the antifreeze from entering the tank. But do make sure it's positioned to drain and you'll be perfectly fine.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:05 PM   #13
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Just make sure you provide a way to drain the tank and be aware of how much RV antifreeze you'll need that will be added to the tank. You might install a cut of valve so you can stop the antifreeze from entering the tank. But do make sure it's positioned to drain and you'll be perfectly fine.
As I store my Monty in a heated shop during the winter I probably have nothing to worry about otherwise we're living in it during our travels.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #14
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Robo turn off your pump when on city water.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:00 AM   #15
DougVelting
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27691
We added the pressure tank to our system, what a difference. I cant remember who originally posted it but im glad they did.

We dont get the random purr any more, and now the pump runs for 1 minute and is off for 2 while showering. And we get a nice steady pressure instead of doing the chacha in the shower to stay under the water.
DougVelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:15 PM   #16
Maks
Established Member

M.O.C. #19245
We had a similar issue with our 2019 3790rd when we bought it new. When boondocking and using the fresh tank/water pump, we would also get the annoying "burrrp" of the water pump once an hour or so. Double and triple checked for leaks but found none.
Then it dawned on me....... our trailer was piped for a washer/dryer in the bedroom closet, but we chose not to add those appliances.
So...... found the hot and cold taps in the back of the closet. Hooked up a garden hose into a pail and purged out the air from both the hot and cold lines.
No more burrrp!
(And those taps are on the list to run antifreeze through when winterizing........ they are easy to forget if in a rush. )
Maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:41 PM   #17
Reelfoot

M.O.C. #26456
Make sure you did not leave the water flow selector switch in the fill position. Place in normal flow position after you fill the tank and the intermittent pump running should stop.
Reelfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:12 PM   #18
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you had an active leak, the pump would be more active than what you are hearing. Ours does the same thing, and it’s nothing more than really slight seepage at the pump check valve. We are running off the pump right now because we are experiencing below freezing weather and have disconnected from city water and the pump twitches several time a night, daytime also.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote