Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
reetzer

M.O.C. #14460
Bike rack

I'd like to take my electric bikes with us this summer . Racks say they're not rated for fifth wheel. Are any rated for fifth wheel?
Reetzer

reetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
Cbrez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28306
We installed a “snow plow” hitch below the front bumper. With quick connect clamps on the seat posts the seats are easily removable so DW can see over the bikes when she is driving. Bike handles are placed facing the passenger seat. Works very well.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #3
RickyRobert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27598
Camping World sells a bike rack that is advertised as safe for mounting in the receiver hitch at the back of the 5th wheel. 80 lbs weight capacity. On sale at the moment.

https://www.campingworld.com/two-bik...ch-112262.html

You could also look at a cargo carrier, adding the bike rack attachment the vendors sell as an add-on.

Remember that if you block the trailer's tail lights you should really add a set of magnetic tow lights, or permanent lights to the additional frame.

2020 3931FB (every option but exterior kitchen)
2019 RAM 3500 DRW 4X4, HO Turbo Diesel, 4.10 Axle
B&W Companion 25K OEM Puck System
RickyRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:50 AM   #4
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Do they fold up? If so, maybe you can put them in the back seat of the pickup. That's what we do when we are towing.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetzer View Post
I'd like to take my electric bikes with us this summer. Racks say they're not rated for fifth wheel. Are any rated for fifth wheel?Reetzer
Because electric bikes typically weigh 50+ lbs you will need a rack designed/rate for that weight carrying capacity. I recently researched electric bike racks and found the ones listed below with price and bike weight carrying capacity. Rack selection depends on whether you have a bumper and/or receiver. If you have a hitch receiver you will likely have to install a 12” long 2" hitch receiver extender, which you can purchase from an auto parts store, as I did. Be sure to install a Hitch Tightener, Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for 1.5" and 2" hitches, which you can purchase on-line.

Swagman Escapee $400 60 lb/bike
Yakima HoldUp Bike Rack for 2 Bikes 8002443 HoldUp 2 Bike 2" Trailer Hitch Platform lb 60 lb/bike $400
Areo $569 75 lb/bike
1Up Super Duty $619 75 lb/bike
Hollywood RV Rider Bike Rack for 2 Electric Bikes, Frame Mount $570 80 lb/bike
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetzer View Post
I'd like to take my electric bikes with us this summer . Racks say they're not rated for fifth wheel. Are any rated for fifth wheel?
Reetzer
I just did a ton of research on this and found one rack that is for use with RV's and 5th wheels. It is the Swagman E-Spec bike rack......70lb. rating per bike. We just bought one, cause our E-bikes weigh about 55 lbs. each. This hitch was also recommended by our bike manufacturer (The Electric Bike Company). This bike rack secures the bike by the frame and not by the tires. Our bikes have fenders and front baskets. Hope this helps out. We just got ours last week and it is rock solid and built like a tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3624.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	8764  
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote