Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Inverter use 12v/110

I have seen elaborate setups in other owners rigs for using 110 power from an inverter connected to batteries. Would there be a problem in just plugging the shore power cord into the inverter? That way, you could use any 110 outlet in the 5er for power, Within limits, of course, and not have to rewire anything or use extension cords.

Am I overlooking something?

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I think the question is can you connect to the inverter using the trailer's shore power cord, not actually pluging the inverter into shore power. The quick answer is it's not a good idea. At the very least, I would take the converter out of the trailer's wiring system. Otherwise, you would be trying to charge the batteries with their own power. Kind of like filling your water tank from the outside shower.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:14 AM   #3
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Scattershot,
That is how I run my rig. I have a 2KW inverter and it runs everything except the Air Conditioner. I do turn off the converter when boon docking. The Microwave and Stereo system draw power from the system even though they are not being used so I unplug them when not in use. It works for me and it is very convenient to have all outlets available as if I were plugged into shore power. Basically I have a 12/3 Romex with a plug at one end to plug into the inverter and a 30 Amp receptacle on the other end of the Romex where the trailer plugs in. (Just a long extension cord) If you decide to go this way be sure and mount the receptacle on a good solid surface and NOT the fiberglass sidewall of the trailer. Plugging and unplugging that 30 Amp plug puts a lot of stress on things. Hope this helped.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have done this on occasion, just so I can run the radio, TV or small appliance. I only have a small inverter, so there is no way I can run everything. I always switch off the power to the converter, and put the fridge and HWH on gas when I do that.

Now my question, whenever I have seen a big inverter, (e.g. 3000 watts), they seem to have two 15 or 20 amp U-ground outlets, that being the case, can you actually get 30 amps to power an RV from one of these inverters? Is it possible to "parallel" the two U-ground outlets in the same way that you can parallel two inverter generators?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 AM   #5
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
John, I had the same question. I called Xantrex when I had my 1,000 watt inverter. He hinted that YES each plug was a 15 Amp circuit protected by 4 fuses, but he would not bless combining them for 30A service. He did comment that the two circuits should not be very long before being combined because imbalance or a difference of potential would become a problem. Mine ARE bridged but I have not tested to prove 30 Amp service and have not seen an improvement that suggests benefit. I haven't seen smoke but then again I have only recently had cataract surgeries. I can't smell smoke since I had the septoplasty at the VA. Running the few 120V devices we have does not require 30A. My brain sez when plugged into shore power, 15A required for the charger and misc. lights, TV, CPAP, elec shaver etc. and the other 15A for the AC, water heater, ,microwave, coffee maker. When running off the inverter I just don't run big draw items like the coffee maker, and microwave at the same time. Of course the charger, A/C and water heater are always turned off when using the inverter. Understanding that, the only heavy use items are the coffee maker at 800 watts and the microwave at 900 watts. Those two items are used for a very short time and usually once a day. Everything else requires very little power. We just got an ice maker and a 5 cu ft. freezer to harden the ice cubes and a 2,000 watt inverter. NONE of this has been tested so it could all turn into a giant fiasco. If my plan fails, it's back to the VA for another septoplasty when the DW breaks my nose again!......... Teasing
Bottom line I did it but can't prove I have 30A because I can't measure higher than 10A with the equipment I have. I can also offer that combining the two circuits did not damage or let the smoke out of my inverter. Hopefully someone will come along with experience that proves or disproves ganging two 15A inverter outlets provides 30A @ 120V.
Regards,
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:34 AM   #6
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Remember that the inverters have a modified sine wave output that not all electronics, and motors, like to see. Although the inverter is quieter, the Honda inverter is much closer to a pure sine wave and takes less setup with the rig. I'd prefer to wire the inverter into specific circuits with a transfer switch.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #7
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
How do you disconnect the converter? Is there a circuit breaker or fuse that needs to be disconnected? Didn't think of that, thanks for the tip.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #8
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scattershot

How do you disconnect the converter? Is there a circuit breaker or fuse that needs to be disconnected? Didn't think of that, thanks for the tip.
On my unit (2006 Mountaineer 329RLS) Keystone wanted to save a few dollars so they "Piggy Backed" the Converter onto the breaker feeding the GFCI circuit in the Power Center, I added a New 15 Amp Circuit Breaker in the Power Center for the Converter, so I could Power it Off - On when necessary.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Thanks. My unit is the same year, so they probably did the same to mine.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
scattershot, on my 2006 3400 there is a seperate breaker for the converter. I don't know if it is piggybacked to anything else. Check your breaker box.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote