Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2009, 04:52 AM   #1
zippys

M.O.C. #9617
Beautiful Boondock site in South Okla.

We just returned from a beautiful spot in South Oklahoma off of I35 about 35 miles. Blue River. It is North of Tishomingo and you can google it. It does require a valid fishing license but.... no one came by to check. Two of us in 5th wheels sat on a peninsula out into the crystal clear river and we were surrounded all around except where we drove in, with waterfalls. The sound was awesome. No utilities but designated rv sites. Fishing excellent and weather awesome. We boondocked for a week there. As a bonus, it is 35 miles south of our cabin on lake Arbuckle. Put 2 deep cycle batteries in with 4kw inverter.
Hooked jumper cables to batteries in morning and let Dodge diesel charge the batteries at up to 100 amps. 30 minutes of that and good for another day.

Our rig is a 2005 4dr Dodge 3/4 ton with 400hp Cummins diesel.
36.50RearKitchen quad slide Montana.

Life is great!

Larry and June

Larry and June

zippys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Any GPS coordinates?

Sounds wonderful! We will be cruising through OK next week. Any more details?

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Yeah, coordinates? Sounds like just the type of place we like to find. Thanks.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OK has some surprisingly pretty areas, at least surprising according to my expectations. We were quite pleased with the scenery when towing south on US 270 and US 259 in far eastern OK a couple of years ago. And, now, here's another location. Thanks, Larry and June, for posting this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
This is such a pretty area of the state. Thanks for the info. We spend most of our summer at Lake Murray or the Chickasaw National Park near Sulphur. We are going to have to check this one out.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Is this the spot?

[/img]

Click here for a short video.

If this is the spot (in Area 1), the way in is not for the faint of heart. First there is the semi-collapsed concrete "bridge" with quite a dip (I don't think that I scraped, but it was very close), you must then go past the desired spot about 1/3 mile doing some narrow winding road with tree trunk dodging and low limb avoiding, finally making a U-turn at the dead-end loop of some other campsites so that you can come back to the spot and back it in. To add a little more to the difficulty scale, we arrived an hour before dark, parked just past the broken bridge, and after I did my reconnoitering walk of about 1.5 miles to be certain of not getting trapped in a no turn-around situation, I drove in, parked, and set up in the dark. At least it was done raining before we got there!

There was another camping area on the other side of the river somewhere, but the river fording "Hughes Crossing" was roped off with a closed sign. It was running about 2 feet deep and quite fast because of very heavy rains earlier that day. The water was brown and murky, but according to some locals, it is not usually this way.

Each person is supposed to have an annual fishing or hunting license, or a Blue River Passport to stay here. There were warning signs stating that this was strictly enforced, bur nobody came to check on us over the two nights that we stayed, but I went in to town the next day and bought an out-of-state 5 day fishing license for around $23 because the area is funded solely through hunting & fishing licensing fees. It didn't make us really "legal", but it just felt like the right thing to do to help support the area.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:58 AM   #7
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
Send a message via Yahoo to countrylady
yes, the Chickasaw National Park near Sulphur is a beautiful place...used to go thru the park alot in my childhood as my grandmother lived just south of it!!! You gotta check out "Little Niagara"...a popular little swimming hole supplied with water from an underground spring...always ice cold even during our hot Oklahoma summers!!! Hope to spend alot of time there when we get our 5er. My dad likes to go to Lake Murray with his RV...I haven't been there, but he loves the area!
countrylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
We were recently on I-35 (about 3 weeks ago) and I agree...Very pretty! Lots of water though as I believe it had rained about 2 inches day before and some before that! So lots of standing water! Be careful!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Blue River Camping
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote