Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #21
oeeman
Established Member

M.O.C. #14662
Just used an old phone and Alfred. Turns phone into a security camera for $0. If you don't have an old phone you can get one cheap.

Will alert you to motion and can set up multiple phones. If you have internet then $0 monthly cost

Kevin

oeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #22
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Install a monitored security system in your home. Put stickers on the windows showing the presence of a security system. Do creative things with light and sound to make it seem that someone is home. The post office will hold mail for 30 days at a time. If you know someone who can collect the mail from the post office at the end of the 1st 30 days, you can place a second 30-day mail hold order. If that doesn't work, have your mail sent to a mail forwarding service.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:24 PM   #23
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
Install a monitored security system in your home. Put stickers on the windows showing the presence of a security system. Do creative things with light and sound to make it seem that someone is home. The post office will hold mail for 30 days at a time. If you know someone who can collect the mail from the post office at the end of the 1st 30 days, you can place a second 30-day mail hold order. If that doesn't work, have your mail sent to a mail forwarding service.
We've gone paperless or are going to go paperless on most of our statements/bills, and already have most auto-drafted or pay online. We're looking at the possibility of signing up for mail to be forwarded. I checked on one of the mail services previously suggested in this thread that is headquartered in FL, they've been in business for 28 years, reasonably priced and have great reviews.
Thanks for sharing!
Deejaybee727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #24
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeeman View Post
Just used an old phone and Alfred. Turns phone into a security camera for $0. If you don't have an old phone you can get one cheap.

Will alert you to motion and can set up multiple phones. If you have internet then $0 monthly cost

Kevin
Thanks for this suggestion Kevin! I'm not real tech savvy, and had never heard of Alfred security app. After seeing how many times the app has been downloaded and the good reviews, I'm a little shocked that we hadn't heard of it. We've got SEVERAL old phones around here...
This is very interesting, and I appreciate the info!!
Old 03-07-2021, 09:45 PM   #25
Mocron
Established Member

M.O.C. #23093
Since retiring a few years ago we began volunteering and traveling at least three weeks out of the month. Our S &B had a monitored security system that worked well. We initially relied on the USPS to manage our mail service while we were away and inspire of having the world's best mailman we had experiences similar to those previously expressed. Our without fail best mail service has been/ continues to be through Escapees. They're reasonable and reliable. And they're set up for the RV community. Our membership is in Livingston TX.
Mocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:24 PM   #26
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejaybee727 View Post
We'll be away from our home for long stretches this season - about 6 weeks at a time. I'd like to hear what solutions you have for the issue of security for your home while away. We live on a gravel road way out in the country, where you wouldn't think we'd have an issue...but unfortunately these days we have to try to think like a criminal! We don't have anyone nearby we'd be comfortable giving a housekey. Also, how do you handle your mail for the longer stretches? Thanks for your time!
Stopped getting mail long ago, most everything can be delivered via email. Live in Canada so don't even know anyone who has had a problem.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:00 AM   #27
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We have a monitored system with multiple in house pressure and movement sensing areas plus several outside Blink cameras (which are barely adequate). Additionally, the town security group (full police powers) is notified and they do at least a 2X daily or more walk arounds, confirmed by the Blinks. I do want to add an inside Blink. We also have motion sensing lighting on all exterior sides as well as warning stickers on various doors and windows. We also have a neighbor next door that watches things. For mail, officially, they will hold it for 30 days but will extend it by a couple weeks if you 'appeal' to the local PO manager. We also have good home owner's insurance, just in case everything else fails - which it did when we had a 'derecho' last October but with no damage to our property
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #28
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocron View Post
Since retiring a few years ago we began volunteering and traveling at least three weeks out of the month. Our S &B had a monitored security system that worked well. We initially relied on the USPS to manage our mail service while we were away and inspire of having the world's best mailman we had experiences similar to those previously expressed. Our without fail best mail service has been/ continues to be through Escapees. They're reasonable and reliable. And they're set up for the RV community. Our membership is in Livingston TX.
Thank you for sharing the info about the Escapees mail service. Also, kudos for being volunteers in your retirement!!
Old 03-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #29
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
What I like about our Blink cameras is I can be sitting in my chair by the campfire 1000 miles from home and just log-in to my system and watch the crook steal my stuff. p.s. I got my Blink system when they were a startup on kickstarter.

All kidding aside, if the alarm goes off and the cops come you will need someone back home to have the broken window/door boarded up when they're all gone. I worry more about fire or a broken water pipe than theft. Those are harder to monitor and usually do more damage by the time they are discovered and alarmed.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:31 PM   #30
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
I worry more about fire or a broken water pipe than theft. Those are harder to monitor and usually do more damage by the time they are discovered and alarmed.
Excellent point. I have a brother in South Lake, TX who (like so many others!!) is dealing with the
aftermath of water damage right now. It is truly devastating. Like you, I'd much rather deal with theft.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:08 AM   #31
Drdon1057
Established Member

M.O.C. #24426
I bought a security camera from Amazon that you can control with your phone. So if I want to see what's going on at home all I have to do is pull out phone. It cost less than 50 bucks. Just make sure it has 360 view. Mine works perfectly. I also taped the sound of a shotgun racking a shell. The camera I got has an option of talking thru camera for which I can talk to who ever is in my driveway. Works great.. Happy Trails
Drdon1057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #32
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We are generally away for 5-6 months during winter. Life in a small town makes this a bit easier. Several neighbors watch the house. We have a night light in the front window that will go out if the power is off or the temp inside drops below 45deg. Tell the mail man that we are going and he delivers our mail to the SIL who looks through it and trashes 90% (junk). She calls if something looks important, but we pay nearly all things online. When we get home we go through mail and trash another 90% of what she has held for us.
I shut the water off at the main to avoid any major flooding from a burst pipe and hire someone to blow the snow out of one side of the driveway incase I need someone to get in for a repair or something.
Never really considered a security system. Like I said, small town life is good.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:58 AM   #33
Drdon1057
Established Member

M.O.C. #24426
I find it is less stressful to just turn the main water valve off, and turn power off, to water heater. This way I don't sit and worry about broken water lines. I found that my electric bill goes down when I do this. Then when you return home, if you turn everything on, as soon as you get there, by the time you unpack from your trip, and get ready to relax, you have your hot water ready to go. Just a thought, Happy Trails and Stay Safe
Drdon1057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #34
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We just winterize the House the same as you would an RV, use the compressor to blow the water out of all lines, add RV antifreeze to toilets and all sink traps, drain the Hot water heater, call the Electric and arrange the date for power to be shut off. Hookup the RV and head out. Living in the sticks there is no wired Internet or Land line, so no alarm system would do anything. Been doing it this way for over 8 years, typically gone 8 to 10 months at a time.
And before anyone asks why we don't dump it, we're on almost 8 acres in the country and like our property, everything is paid for so only expense is insurance & taxes, but if we didn't have it we would have to find some place for a Summer home base.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #35
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdon1057 View Post
I find it is less stressful to just turn the main water valve off, and turn power off, to water heater. This way I don't sit and worry about broken water lines. I found that my electric bill goes down when I do this. Then when you return home, if you turn everything on, as soon as you get there, by the time you unpack from your trip, and get ready to relax, you have your hot water ready to go. Just a thought, Happy Trails and Stay Safe
We usually only turn off our water heater, but after reading feedback in this thread, plus hearing of friends and family member's experiences with water, we've decided to cut the water off as well. We spend time in the RV to unwind & reduce stress, so we want to do whatever we can to cut out worries at the homebase!
Old 03-16-2021, 09:32 PM   #36
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
We just winterize the House the same as you would an RV, use the compressor to blow the water out of all lines, add RV antifreeze to toilets and all sink traps, drain the Hot water heater, call the Electric and arrange the date for power to be shut off. Hookup the RV and head out. Living in the sticks there is no wired Internet or Land line, so no alarm system would do anything. Been doing it this way for over 8 years, typically gone 8 to 10 months at a time.
And before anyone asks why we don't dump it, we're on almost 8 acres in the country and like our property, everything is paid for so only expense is insurance & taxes, but if we didn't have it we would have to find some place for a Summer home base.
Being gone 8 to 10 months at a time calls for this thorough shutdown procedure, and I'm sure you have it down pat after doing this for 8 years. Its good info! Like you, our S & B and 4 acres is paid for, and adjoins a family farm that has my other half's multiple deer hunting stands scattered about, so we'll hang onto it...both for the family history and the great hunting. We do love to travel whenever we get the chance - especially during summer months to escape the heat, humidity and clouds of mosquitoes! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #37
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
We are generally away for 5-6 months during winter. Life in a small town makes this a bit easier. Several neighbors watch the house. We have a night light in the front window that will go out if the power is off or the temp inside drops below 45deg. Tell the mail man that we are going and he delivers our mail to the SIL who looks through it and trashes 90% (junk). She calls if something looks important, but we pay nearly all things online. When we get home we go through mail and trash another 90% of what she has held for us.
I shut the water off at the main to avoid any major flooding from a burst pipe and hire someone to blow the snow out of one side of the driveway incase I need someone to get in for a repair or something.
Never really considered a security system. Like I said, small town life is good.
I'm learning that we have the option through the postal service to do a temporary change of address & forward our mail to General Delivery at the post office near where we'll be staying most of the summer, so I'm thinking about doing that until about a week before we go home, then do an online Hold Mail order at home for our last week or so. If anyone has experience with the temp change of address I'd like to hear it. Hoping that wouldn't turn into a fiasco!
Old 03-17-2021, 06:33 PM   #38
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Cameras are good while you are away if you have internet service
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:56 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This web site can be accessed by anyone anywhere so it is nice that we can let everyone know where we are and what precautions we take so the would be thief will be prepared,
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #40
Cobra13
Established Member

M.O.C. #27542
I use the blink at both of my shops. Works well, is cheap and is super easy to use. Quality is decent for the money.

That said I leave the keys in all of my cars and don’t think much about it.

If you want more pictures I can get you more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3BCA551D-A4AC-49AB-A910-B030AC8448D8.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	9255  
Cobra13 is offline   Reply With Quote