Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wierd Fridge Problem(Fixed)

My freezer is plenty cold at about 27 degrees but the fridge is only getting to the high 40s. I replaced the sensor at the Glakes rally and had the door mods done at Goshen and all was fine untill about three days ago. I have had the temp setting at 5 and the fridge area was a constant 38. I have checked the outside areas and there is no obstructions. Not sure what to do now. The fridge is the 4 door Norcold. Any ideas?.... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Dave, do you have the plastic slider on the fins that is used to control temp in the frig box? If so, slide it up or down to see if that changes your temp. Never remember if up is colder and down is warmer or vice versa. CRS disease?
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Jim, I tried that route with no difference. I called a local mobile service guy and he told me to remove the thermistor leads and let it run over night and call him in the morning. The freezer is supposed to be 03 degrees at a 5 setting and the fridge should be around 35. I will let it go for the night and see in the morning. He said if the cooling unit is gone then it will be around 1600 or more to replace it. Damn! If it ain't one thing it is three others. I am going to call Camping World in Pooler and check their prices also... Dave P.S. I just called Norcold recall center and this unit IS NOT on the recall list.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Possible too full and no air circulation?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,
Wow! That is expensive. I know you have the BS and thus the larger fridge but still that is a lot of $$$$. Have you ever considered getting an apartment style replacement? I've looked at them for my rig and they have some that would fit perfectly. I don't think you folks do a lot of dry camping so that type thing might work great for you.

Good luck.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Dave mine blew up this pass saturday yellow stuff every where. I didnt know it could make that much of a mess. Talked to a guy in ak and he is sending me a reman cooling unit. he rebuilds to better than factory and had a special on for less than 400$ and 5 yr warranty. it will be here thurs with full instrs and pics to install by. also burned up the elect side of my WH. I am having so much fun I cant stand it.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
OK, sorry about the delay in following through, here is the situation. After doing a thermistor bypass test (removing thermistor from system) and letting the fridge run full speed for 48 hours and it got cold again. So I ordered two new thermistors so I would have a spare for the next time it fails. This is the second thermistor failure in 10 months so I will have a spare for awhile... Dave
Old 03-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dave--one tip about thermistor failures--you may already know this, but I didn't learn it until after having our second thermistor go bad.

If you get frost on the cooling fins that is heavy enough to bury the thermistor, it can kill the thermistor. So keep watch on the frost and, if it starts getting heavy, turn the temp control warmer until the frost dies back. And good luck!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had the same problem Dave with the thermistor. Got two of them at C.W. They were under 10.00 each and they were in stock.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave,
As soon as you have a spare you should never have a problem again with the thermistor. Isn't that the way it works?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Really good info in this thread, guys. Thanks. I learned something.

Bobby, good deal on the rebuilt cooling unit. Ours was replaced under warranty last August but I saw the bill. The parts cost for the cooling unit itself was $950.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Or get a Whirpool Apt Size residential Fridge. Less than $350. Frostfree, bigger on inside. But you need a generator if you want to boondock...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote