Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
This I won't do again!!!!!

Well we had put it off for weeks and as the weather got cool decided we had better get it done. So took mop and water hose and cleaner in hand and up the ladder I went. Walt came up and we started the process of cleaning and conditioning the roof. Well let me tell you that the more cleaner and water we got on it the slicker it got.LOL

Finally got it done with a lot of slipping and sliding around, and that was not bad enough I have to sit down and slide onto the ladder backward and got a cramp in my leg, thought I was going to fall.

Needless to say it was my first and last time to wash the roof, there are too many young people that likes to earn spending money.LOL

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Oh my lord, what a picture you painted in my mind.LOL. Sure hope you didn't hurt anything. It was funny because we have been in somewhat the same situation. We just feel so young and think we can do anything and then the old body betrays us. At least it is done and you can relax for awhile. It is a long way up there....
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
...*LOL Prariepoodle!....going up on the roof is kinda like flying.

I'm not scared of flying... I'm scared of falling!!

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:11 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We still think that we can do it all, but our bodies tell us differently. At least we still have the presence of mind to figure out that we should stop doing somethings and let others more able do them. Glad to hear that you did not get hurt.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:57 AM   #5
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Oh my word, I'll bet it was a sight. I'm afraid of heights so going up there wouldn't be an option, it could and would stay dirty. LOL
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Think that we will think two or three times before we haul up there to do the roof!! Glad that you survived unscathed
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:19 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I think that it would be simplier to hire some young people to do that kind of work. Glad you didn't hurt yourself. Happyrving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
pariepoodle,

I had my "first and last time" cleaning the roof too! I had rather be dangled from a helicopter basket than try to slide, slip, or inch my way back to the ladder. I think you were as traumatized as I was!
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:29 PM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I just did a complete cleaning of our Montana yesterday, starting with a thorough cleaning of the roof. But then, I am only 72 years old so that wasn't a problem for me. I then washed the entire ouside of the coach using a brush with extension handle. I only waxed the front cap. I have found that with waxing and with the "bug remover" from Camping World the bugs come off with ease. Since we live and travel in the humid South, we have to know about bugs. Our Montana is "shining like a new moon," as my wife would say.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:44 PM   #10
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
You're braver than I am Linda. I am hight phobic. We did that in the summer, but I was the ground crew.

The stuff we used for the conditioner was not good for us. Our roof is filthier than it has ever been. The conditioner seems to attract dirt and grime. What did you use?

When we saw the Rally pictures we couldn't believe how bad the roof was. Since the Rally the weather has been pretty much crummy and we need to get it cleaned up. We can't find the Dicor products for conditioning anywhere in the South East corner of Michigan, so we don't know what to use.

We have to get out there tomorrow, I'll be on the ground again and clean it up. A man called during the week and wants to see our Camper and maybe buy it. The ad was 10 months old and forgotten. The call really threw me for a loop.

Now I am in panic mode. Afraid he won't buy it and afraid he will!

I think your idea of a younger person is a good one. Remember you are young, you just need a younger person.
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 06:57 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Patty, I have to admit yours was dirtier than ours but ours was definitely second. When on our roof at the rally we had opportunity to survey all the others. But we have the excuse of having been on the road and under some trees when the leaves fell and in a very dusty area. And we got light rain during that two weeks. Actually, with the outline of the leaves still on the roof it's kinda pretty in an artsy way. Tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful day so I'll get up there and clean it unless it's very windy like today.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:46 AM   #12
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Hey we are picking up our new Montana 3400RL tomorrow. What type cleaner and conditioner do you folks recommend for the exterior? We want to start off right in caring for our new "road home". I know I will definitely be the ground crew too and would like to keep my better half on the ground, but that will probably be impossible. He's not ready to admit that he needs a "younger" person to do anything!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:02 AM   #13
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Native Tex, If you will search through this area you will find a numbers of ideas on what to use. We have not waxed our Montana as of yet, when we did the roof it was with some kind of stuff we got at the RV store here. It did work very good but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.

Congratulations on your new montana I just know that you are going to love it. The 3400RL is a beautiful unit, Please keep us posted on your great adventures.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:48 AM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
There are lots of good products out there, almost any automotive wax will be fine. My personal preference, after trying a few, is liquid NuFinish. (Orange bottle). Reasons: reatively cheap, readily available, easy to apply, long lasting, can be applied in sun or shade, (this last feature I really like, especially since most other finishes shouldn't be applied when it is sunny).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 12:25 PM   #15
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
No doubt, everyone has their own favorites, but I'm willing to share mine. I just cleaned up the exterior of our Montana this week, so I have all the material still before me. I started with a full cleaning of the roof using Thetford Premium Rubber Roof Cleaner and Conditioner [sprayed on full strength then washed off thoroughly with water] from Camping World. Next I cleaned the bugs off the front cap using Thetford Premium Bug Bust [same type of application as the roof cleaner] also from CW. Next the sides and back using Trailer Glitter RV Wash [mixed with water, then rinsed immediately] also from CW. Finally I waxed only the front cap using Meguairs NXT Tech Wax bought at WalMart.

We have had our Montana just a year and a half, but it looks as good as it did the day we bought it. The wax protects the front cap and makes it much easier to get the bugs off the next time. By keeping the roof cleaned and conditioned we do not have any black streaks.

So far so good.

Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 PM   #16
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
padrew - thanks for all of the great information. I notice on your signature that you guys are in East Teaas. I am from Texarkana originally; only transplated to Alabama. Thanks again for the great information.

...No doubt, everyone has their own favorites, but I'm willing to share mine. I just cleaned up the exterior of our Montana this week, so I have all the material still before me..................

[/quote]
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:58 PM   #17
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Native Tex, I had a feeling that your handle suggested something about your origins. We live in the little town of Ore City, just about an hour Southwest of Texarkana. My parents and grandparents were not only native Texans, but natives of this same little piece of Upshur County. Thanks for your greeting, and come back home to see us sometime.

You can visit our home online at: http://www.dwilliamson.com
Old 10-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padredw, how effective is the Bug Bust in removing the bugs? I'm always looking for something to make this job easier.
Thanks.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:50 AM   #19
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
In regard to the "Bug Bust". It is the best I have found. I started the waxing just before I started using the "Bug Bust", so I'm not sure which is more important. The bottom line is that together they make it mighty easy to get the bugs off. I use the same type "squeegy/sponge" that is provided at most service stations to clean the windshields. It worked before pretty good before (with a lot of "elbow grease"). It is much easier with the products I have mentioned. I mean much easier.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:57 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, David. That's what I was hoping to hear. I bought some when we were near a Camping World at the rally. I believe this is what OntMont (John) recommended, too. I haven't yet tried it but will once we're on the road again.

Do you know if it removes the wax?

Thanks again.