Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Tank Flush

Love these rallies. This morning as I was flushing the black tank prior to leaving the CG, the water was starting to run clear. H John and Dave, ExNavyDiver, came by and told me about filling the toilet bowl and flushing it while running the flush hose and leaving the valve open. Instant stained water. Seems like using the hose to flush the black tank does not remove all "stuff" on the upper sides and adding the full toilet tank of water a couple of times gets this also. Oh, yes. I almost forgot, my older RVs had a separate pedal to fill the comode and the newer Sealand does not and I did not know until John and Dave came by that lifting up the flush pedal with the foot fills the tank. As I said above, Love these rallies. Thanks, guys!

boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Jim

you have just discovered the "power flush"

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Color me uniformed. I never knew that but Lorraine said she always knew it. Than again why would I ever want to fill the bowl??? I have always used the flush to fill the black tank and than dump. After 2 or 3 fills the water runs clear.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Color me uniformed. I never knew that but Lorraine said she always knew it. Than again why would I ever want to fill the bowl??? I have always used the flush to fill the black tank and than dump. After 2 or 3 fills the water runs clear.

Glenn, as I learned today, after you have clear water leave it running, go in and fill the bowl up to almost the top then have Lorraine dump it and watch the stuff come through. You just thought it was fully clean.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:37 AM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I have taken a 5-gal pail and poured in into the toilet while the rinse is running to get a good surged to shake things up.I don't do this all the times,just occasionally.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
And while on the subject of black tank flushes, those of us in the northern freezing-prone climates need to remember that the black tank flush needs to be winterized as a seperate process. Compressed air and blowing the flush line out seems to be the easiest alternative (but make sure you have pressure relief somewhere, dump valve open preferably). I have never tried to get the pink stuff into this line, but assume it can be gravity fed through the connection. I also have never done the flush toilet procedure...the forum educates again...but will try it out this weekend on our next to last camping adventure of the year. Good information!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I have done the 5 gallon bucket in the past and it always worked but the back ain't what it used to be so lifting the pedal with my foot works well also. It is a bit slow and you can fill a bucket with the hose faster but the pedal is easier on the back... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
It makes sense, the surge from a full comode. I'll have to try it this week.
Thanks for the idea.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:21 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah! Good information as always!
Even if it is a "crappy" job!

Thanks.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote