Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Gotta Love this Aircard!

Here we are on the way home from our weekend trip with our grand daughter Aleyah and I'm on MOC and actually posting. This is way too cool. I hardly ever have time to do much more than read here and now I can post!

Dick is loving it as well as I am being quiet. I asked if he missed me talking and he said "no". I guess after being together 25 years he's heard enough from me.

Now is we could only travel more.

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Which air card did you get

john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Hi John,

I have the Verizon Air card, it is one of the cheaper ones but it fits in both the new lap top and the old one I use in the truck. That was the main reason for choosing it. Our cell service is with Verizon too, so it makes the monthly fee a bit lower.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:12 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congrats, Patty! I didn't know you had a new aircard. I had noticed that you were on the forum a little more lately and now I know why. They are awesome, aren't they? We're parked in the neighbor's driveway while visiting my dad in northern Illinois and have WiFi. It doesn't get any better than that.....unless it's posting while you ride down the highway!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Patty, We just got our aircard from Verizon on Saturday! We can't get cable or DSL where we live, so this was the alternative. It's neat to have it at the house now and can't wait to take a trip in the Montana with it! We have always had good service from Verizon and the price was right. We got a mail in rebate which will make the aircard itself free. It's pretty fast I thought, not as fast as the DSL I'm used to at the store, but it'll be fine. Look forward to more of your posts!
Lisa
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Congrats Patty, I don't know what Lorraine and I would do without our AirCard (also Verizon). We can usually get online anytime, anywhere.

On EDIT......
You can also use it at home and get rid of the Cable modem or DSL and not lose much connection speed.

AND, if you get the AirCard router you can use more than one computer. AND with the router, when in an RV park you put out a WiFi single allowing close by neighbors to also get online using your single and it does not effect you at all. In most every RV park we are in I have allowed others to connect on my signal but I do keep it password protected and pick and choose who gets that password.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 AM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We canceled our DSL at home since we have the air card and router. Love it! Don't know how we did without it before.
Only difference is we have Sprint. Phones and air card. Have a Linksys router. Works great!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
We currently have our home up for sale and we are going to build a new one. We have to downsize from a one acre lot. The new place will be a LOT more maintenance free.

Anyway, I am thinking of doing the same thing. Let my Comcast cable
($53.00 per mo)go as we will be living/traveling in our Monte for several months while the new place is being built. I want to get a Verizon Aircard for a KR-1 aircard router, so that we can use in the TV or Monte. Then when the our new home is completed, set it up in the new home. That way we can be fixed or mobile. As for cost, after the initial outlay for equipment, the monthly cost should be $69 per mo for Broadband as we have Verizon cell phones.

Glenn, I have a couple of ?s for you. Do you have your router mounted in the TV or Monte or switch back and forth? I was thinking of mounting it on the Monte bedroom closet shelf near the OTA TV amplifier for easy permanent access to 12VDC, whether parked or traveling. I would add an antenna on the shelf behind the fiberglass nose cap. If so, is the signal strong enough for the laptop in the TV as we are traveling?

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also have the Verizon aircard/expresscard. One thing to be aware of though, is in the fine print of the contract. If you exceed 5GB per month Verizon can cancel your service. I guess that's what "unlimited" means. Our first month we used 2.8GB. This month we'll use none as this park has an outstanding wifi system, blazing in speed.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I, too, ordered the Verizon aircard today along with the router. 3Gstore.com is where I bought mine, old Booster antenna.com. They hooked me up with the Sierra Aircard 595 and Top Global MB6000 router, both of these support the new REV-A technology. I am going to try without the antenna but may add the "shorty RV Antenna" at a later date.

Looking forward to having my own intenet system and not have to rely on "CG WIFI". So far, my limited experience has been that I have to go to the office or somewhere other than my TT to receive a signal. I think some parks are using the WIFI advertising to lure people to them, then you find out it is limited service or even non-existent. One park told me they had ordered a new antenna and should be in in a week or so. They had told someone else a different story and someone else, who had been there last year, the same story.

So, being on my own system will be nice.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Phil and Cathy, You will love that aircard. I'm sitting in a gas station in Iowa while typing this post. There are some adapters that can be used to attach a Wilson antenna to some aircards, I think. It might be worth looking into.

Don, we haven't mounted our router anywhere. It is about the size of a small/medium hardcover book (Steve and Vicki's is a pyramid shape so there are different designs). In the rig, it sits on the dining table which is at the back of the rig. The power cord stays in the rig. In the truck, it rides on top of the plastic bin that carries our campground books and other necessities for travel. We pick up the router and attached antenna and move it to the truck, attaching it to the power connector that goes into the cigarette lighter socket.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #12
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Since Verizon disconnected my mobile office --- I now have their air card. Don't know how these things work, but it's working great right now.
Hated going from "free" to "pay". Verizon is checking for the mobile office users. They got me.

Carl
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I am coming to you tonight from my own WiFi. This is great. I got my router and verizon aircard from 3G today and plugged it in and VOILA!!!!!, Everything worked as promised. The guys from 3G activated my aircard and it truly was Plug and Play. DW is on her desktop computer internet and I am on my laptop through WiFi.........

The only thing I need to do is figure out how to secure the wifi system........

Love this new technology. The park I am at is putting out wifi at 10mbps. After hooking up my own I am on at 54mbps, not blazing but I will take it.........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Yes I would make it secure or everybody will be on it an you might run over on useage. I think it is 5 gb a month. I have had one now for about a month and it is great. I am in a campground in Lamar Co using their wifi. We will be going into Pueblo,co tomorrow and should have good broadband there.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #15
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I looked at my contract and saw nothing about how much usage I have. It says unlimited. Where would it say 5 gb? Or am I getting confused?

Carol
Old 07-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #16
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

I looked at my contract and saw nothing about how much usage I have. It says unlimited. Where would it say 5 gb? Or am I getting confused? Carol
i'd love to see a legible picture of your "unlimited" verizon contract!

here is verizon's official terms and conditions for broadbandaccess:
http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/bba_terms.html

i'll quote the relevant part about 5GB, from near bottom of terms:

"Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice."
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #17
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
What I have is a Verizon Broadband Access Card. Under Feature Billing is Unlimited MB Allowance, Unlimited Kilobytes. Are we talking about the same thing?

Carol
Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #18
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

What I have is a Verizon Broadband Access Card. Under Feature Billing is Unlimited MB Allowance, Unlimited Kilobytes. Are we talking about the same thing? Carol
what card do you have? how much are you paying a month?
i don't know of anything else verizon sells that could be mistaken for "BroadBandAccess"

did you read the content at link i provided?
do you have some other set of terms that apply to service you are paying for?
if so, is there a web page you can point as to?

would be interesting to know if you have some unlimited plan others don't know about.... but i doubt it.
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:20 AM   #19
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I just had a lengthy conversation with Verizon. Yes, I have unlimited broadband access.

Carol
Old 07-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
EVDO Alex////What does this mean??

Included Features:

$0.15 Per Text Message sent or received
1XEVDO
Call Delivery

UNLIMITED MB ALLOWANCE