Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > House Keeping
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Spice Rack

Just read a suggestion in an RV newsletter. Using a strip of hook and loop fastener (velcro), attach a strip of loop side onto the back of the wall in your pantry or cupboard. Then cut the hook side in 1 inch sections, (or longer for larger bottles), and attach them to the spice/herb bottles. Push onto the loop strip. This could be used on the back of cupboard doors also. It will use up that upper section of wasted space in some of the cupboards. This will also help in keeping them in place while travelling.

Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Myrna
Tried that with my last rig and it worked for awhile. The heat gets to the sticky after and then the bottles drop off. Spice clips work better, although the clips tend to fail after repeated exposure to heat/cold.

I've opted for magnetics in this rig. Bed Bath/Linnens & Things have some spice tins that have a magnetic bottom and clear lids. I've labeled each of mine and store them on a jelly roll pan. I've attached some super duty (available at Radio Shack) velcro to the pan and to the wall where I wish to put them while in camp.

Due to the fact that the lids don't screw on, I remove the pan from the wall during travel. Also, powdered spices like garlic or onion powder, don't remain pourable so I store those in a zip bag right on the tray. I have a drawer under my fridge where I store the spices during transit or when the unit is in storage. You could use your oven for the pan storage if necessary.

Hope your system works for you!
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Lisa

PHOTOS!! please!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Thanks Lisa, I wondered about durability. I currently have several of my often used spices etc in baggies in a plastic container. It works for weight etc. I just thought the other was a good idea, but experience is best.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Had a thought (no laughing now, sometimes I do have one! )

Myrna, you are living in your unit full time, Lisa is not. When Lisa puts hers in storage for a week or two, it can get hotter than blazes in there, thus the failure of the sticky stuff for the velcro.

??????

Myrna might not have that issue.

whatchathink??
Old 06-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
There's still the possibility of extremes of temp even during transit between CG's. I know it's almost impossible to maintain an even temp inside the unit when you are traveling. The sticky does fail after a while.

As you stated Mrs Country, the unit is in storage, but I'll get them the next time we're out.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
I have a plexiglass spice rack--three tier--on the rear wall of my 2850RK. I have a piece of hook and loop fastener on the bottom of each tray. They a piece of fastener on each spice bottle--I try to get the small platic ones from Kroger or a small grocery store. I have never had a spice container come out while traveling. We are on the road 7-8 months of the year. When we store the RV, I take the spice containers into the stick house.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Further thought.. Maybe the 3M velcro would work better. I have used it on pictures, tiles and horse brass and other decor throughout the rig. It has been up for 3 years and no loosening. This summer will be the acid test as we have had over amonth of 100 plus temps. We can maintain an 80 degree temp with the one a/c. (2nd a/c to be installed July 1st). Inside the cupboards tend to be a little warmer. Time will tell.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I know this is about spice racks, etc. But, our wandering over to velcro falling/melting off the wall is interesting to me.

Lisa, how hot does it get in your rig when it is full summer in Virginia and you are traveling?? I think I have seen it as high as 88 in ours on a travel day, but, I don't live in VA. That said, we do get some days that are warm. And, I know that it gets much warmer in there while Tana is sitting in the drive waiting to go again.

So, how hot must it be, and for how long, before that glue stuff starts giving???

And, maybe all velcro with glue is NOT created equal??

I am sitting here trying to remember if Tana has any velcro with glue, cannot remember any at the moment. She does have some of that double faced sticky tape, lots of that, holding most photos, and dodats on the walls, including a very very heavy wooden raccoon. Funny thing is, the really small pieces on the walls seem to be the ones that come down, not the heavy ones. OK, we really put a lot of that stuff on the raccoon, for example. The few things that came down are odd shaped, or odd fabric/materials.

Interesting.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Last summer we saw days at 110 with heat indices's of 125. I'm not sure if its the heat alone but the extremely high humidity in combination that destroys the sticky. I know it about destroys my ability to stick to anything! If a car at ambient temp of 80 can get to 110 in 45 minutes, I suppose a closed camper could get 30-50 degrees hotter than ambient.

I know when we travel and the temp is around 80, the internal temp of the Monty is near 98. This is with constant airflow over the trailer! We installed the second air conditioner just for this reason. The main one just couldn't cool it down, even using the fantastic fan to pull the heat out of the unit first.

Not all velcro is created equal--thus my directions to the super stuff (marine grade) at Radio Shack. This stuff, when installed after cleaning the areas with alcohol, works great and is one of the only ones that actually sticks through a Virginia summer. It's not so good on wood surfaces, though.

Some other velcro I put up last year has already given way, but I think the cold and damp got to it. So either way we go, all velcro is not created equal.

Myrna-
Please consider not running the second A/C unit through the Monty's electrical panel. we utilized the existing wiring to a point, then broke connections and ran additional wiring through the walls. Then we hooked it to a heavy duty 110 cord. The cord runs out the convenience center just like the water does.

We sometimes are forced to run on 30 amp-last weekend-and since we ran the front unit on its own 110 "extension" cord, we can run both units even when using 30 amps. We just plug the second AC directly to the post. It's also convenient when you need to service your converter/inverter/fuses and need to cut power to the rig. Having air conditioning in the heat is a boon--ask our dealer!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Paper-Towel...ayphotohosting

This is what we bought for our 2955, which we installed on the end of the cabinet. The spices stay put and we use the towel holder for paper towels. This photo does not show the top portion for spices that well, but we have about 10 spice containers in ours.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #12
Tootucky
Established Member

M.O.C. #7909
I like the looks of your little cabinet for spices and paper towels. But it looks like it also has some drawers. How do they do while traveling? How do you keep them from sliding out?
Tootucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I have a spice rack in our 3400RL,from Walmart, that is atttached to the island, under the counter top, right next to the stove. It has three adjustable shelves that you snap onto runners. I don't leave the spices in the rack when traveling. Those go into a ziplock and into the sink. I also have made one in the pantry. I use the stackable shelves, from Walmart, and a spice rack that you should attach to the wall. I haven't done that as I don't want anymore holes in the walls then necessary. It also allows me to change the space and use it for something else if needed. The spices don't move when traveling. I do strap the doors with velcro when we travel. I must have as many small spices in the Monty as I have at home.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 AM   #14
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Sorry to be late in posting a reply. There are no drawers in the spice unit. It has 2 holders for plastic wrap and foil. They work great. Even the paper towels do not unravel.
Nancy
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote