Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2006, 04:29 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Water leaking around Fantastic Fan. Product?

Came home to soaked carpet at the kitchen island the other day. It appears the seal where my Fantastic Fan is installed on the roof is cracking and needs attention.

Does anyone have any advice on what type of cauking I need to buy. Is there one I can pick up a local hardware or does it have to be a RV speciality product? I read the labels on a bunch of water seal products in ACE Hardware, but none of them specified they would adhere to rubber.

Any input is appreciated. I will check back after work tonight.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Use caulking that is friendly to rubber roofs. You can pick it up at any RV parts and service facilities. I purchase mine on-line at http://bestmaterials.com/caulk_sealants.aspx. Much better price than at any RV store. I usually buy 3 to 6 tubes at a time. I don't believe you can use too much caulk on our units.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
When at the Rally Dicor recommended EPDM rubber roofing Lap Sealant and the color used on Montana's is Dove Grey part number 501LSD. You can call Dicor at 800-837-2059 and they can direct you to a dealer or tell you how to get it.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:12 AM   #4
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thanks. I will check them both out.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:53 AM   #5
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Try "Eternabond" tape.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:24 PM   #6
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Sorry for the late response, but I just found this thread.

Funny thing you should ask about a leaky roof vent. I went to an Extended Learning Class on RV Care & Maintenance last week, put on by the Community College. The Instructor was a Service Manager for a large local RV Dealership.

As for a sealer, he recommended Dicor as the only sealant to be used on a rubber roof. NEVER use any petroleum based products on a rubber roof.

As for the vent being cracked he said that you could use Dicor as a temp fix. He strongly recommended replacing the cracked part because if you just seal it, it creates a dam around the vent and could continue the leak. He said that the part was not expensive($15-$20) and you could replace it yourself. Remove 4 screws on inside and the screws on the roof and remove cracked part. On the new part place some tape seal all the way around on the bottom of the part. Reinstall the part and screws. Cover the screws with Dicor and around the edge of the part. Reinstall the inside screws and you're done.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote