Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Montana_5882

M.O.C. #5882
Structure Problems

WE have been having structure problems with our 3575RL for quite a while and gradually got worse to the point that everything in our bedroom was shifted. The tv cabinet began breaking away from the ceiling and walls, the ceiling was bowed and cracking in the corners. Trims became bowed and warped. the sliding bedroom doors would not close and came off track. The clothing cabinet was at a severe angle and the drawers would not open. When checked it was found that all the welds in the front end had broke aloose from the frame in the bedroom walls. We are stranded 2000 miles from home and have been on Foley's parking lot for 1 FULL MONTH. Foley's tore the fiberglass when repairing the welds. They then sent the wrong fiberglass and it had to be reordered. When reordering, Keystone sat on the order for 8 more days before shipping it.
Keystone had a care less attitude and very very rude.
Keystone and Foley's get a big fat 0 from 1 to 10. I have never seen such a poor way to take care of a problem. The service has been absolute CRAP !!!!!!!!
I will never buy another Keystone product.

David Karr

Montana_5882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Sorry to hear your having such a bad time, how old was your unit??? and has there been any determination as to what caused such a sever amount of damage to the frame. It sounds like the pin dropped to cause that much damage...our you unit got a sever hit up front to break those welds?? Just wondering....

2005 Dodge 3500 4x2 Dually Cummins Diesel, Line X /2005 Montana/""MOC TRAVEL ASSISTANCE VOLUNTEER"" ""TOPEKA, KANSAS AREA"" 3650RK
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
What a story David.

One of Keystone's problems is that you sometimes have to connect with the right person to get the job done. Although they come through the majority of times and make everyting good you can get bogged down if you deal with the wrong person. I wish this wasn't the case.

I see you are new to the forum and if you had been with us before this happened you would have known to call Dave Brubaker from Lippert for advice on what to do,since the framing is jointly Lippert and Keystone. Keystone design and Lippert construction.

But, welcome to the forum and I hope you keep us posted on the repairs. Good luck to you.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I would be interested in the year also. I have a '03 3575RL and have none of the problems that you describe.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB SRW
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
David,

I am genuinely sorry that you have had to experience such frustrating circumstances. I would probably be as irate as you seem to be under the same conditions. I am also sorry your one and only post had to be one of such unhappiness. I wouldn't presume to defend the dealer or Keystone. If they were discourteous and incompetent in fact or in perception, so it is for you. I hope that your RVing experiences improve greatly. It sounds like you are so for down at this point that the only way is up. Here's to better days ahead.

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

Go to Top of Page

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
David,
Sorry to hear of your problem. I don't believe it is insolvable. Though it is a severe problem, I believe that Keystone will take care of it for you. A starting point might be for you to make a call to Keystone Customer Service, ask for Art who is in charge of Team Montana. They have been extremely good to us even when our rig was 4 years out of warranty. A lot depends on how you approach them. Sure, you're upset as anyone would be, but if you call Art and lay out the problem calmly and ask they if they can help you, I believe you'll get immediate help. Tell him what has occurred as calmly as you can. He will know you're upset (wouldn't anyone be?). I talked to him personally when I was at the plant back in the middle of August. He's doing his very best to help everyone who needs help. I had just stopped in to tell him how pleased I was with the help I had gotten over the years from Keystone.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but it could be a start.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Well said Stiles, I think you have spoken what we all feel.

Lonnie
2006 Montana 3000RK, Reciever Hitch for Boat and Toy Trailer
2003 F250 CC PSD, LB, 6 Speed Manual Trans., 4X4, Air Suspension, Husky 15K Hitch
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #8
Montana_5882

M.O.C. #5882
My unit is a 2003 3575RL. I do not think it was caused by any rough roads or severe bumps as I am very careful as to where I go and seldom drive over 60 mph. It was a very gradual problem and we began noticing little tale-tale signs of things going wrong, such as doors not lining up and things inside shifting around more. It wasn,t until things really got worse that we put 2 & 2 together and had it checked. The first person that checked it said that it was a safety issue and that he had never seen one so bad.
I was very calm and understanding at first, until there was mistake after mistake on trying to get the problem resolved. After 1 Month of waiting on Foley's Parking Lot, I have used up all of my patience. When the lady from Keystone called today saying that they had done all they could do and would not even consider any of our additional expenses, I finally blew up. She could have cared less. I previously asked for Art and he transfered me to someone else. Keystone did agree to pay for the repair to the frame, but has not made any attempt to repair any internal damages.

The floor is also seperating in the bedroom. It is raised 1/2 under the carpet. Neither Keystone or Foleys, have made any attempts to address this problem. I will just be glad, if and when, the strucural problems are fixed and I will be trading this piece of CRAP off. I still love the RV life and plan on many more good years, just not with Keystone !
Other problems I have had in less than 3 years. 3 air conditioner repairs and 2 AC/S replaced, Cooling unit replaced on Refrigerator, Shakles replaced on suspension, Black tank cracked and leaking, 3 seals in hydraulic slide reservour and still leaking, straighten axles and replace tires due to uneven wear, and many many smaller items.

David Karr
Montana_5882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is the kind of story we do not like to hear on this forum. The 03 model year has the known "frame flex" problem that has been repaired many times by keystone. Judging on what this man has written there is no excuse for the treatment given him by the dealer and Keystone. Of course we do not know the entire story but at best ALL the structural damage caused by the frame flex problem should be and has been repaired by Keystone as for internal damages I would think that Keystone would/should be responsible for damage caused by their design problem however insurance should also cover internal damage. You are a very patient person dkarr1 as I would not have waited around on any dealers lot for 1 month waiting for something to happen. I would have been shaking dealer and Keystone trees in about a week. Then again it is very possible you got a lemon and I would make sure you traded it in at a Keystone dealer after all....it will be //as good as new when fixed...what a deal for the dealer. Don't know where you are right now but perhaps you should come to the National rally in Goshen next week...The Montana plant is right there..I would jump at the chance to get up close and personal with the folks you have been dealing with.. The service center is right there also..I've got the feeling they would be of great help..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,
I thought I read in a thread it was the earlier 8" frames that had the flex problems.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #11
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
No, we have had the same problem with our '04 and over the last couple of years we have been on MOC there have been several people with this type of frame problem. Actually ours was a lot more severe than Dkarr1's sounds, but if it doesn't get fixed soon, they can easily catch us--besides the frame problem, we had another 48 items that needed fixing by the time we got to the factory. Ours was 10 months old when the problem started and it hadn't been abused.

This is a Lippert problem. According to folks on RV.net, there are several manufacturers which use Lippert frames and they have all had problems over a wide period of time.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
David,

Taking it to the factory would be a wise decision. That way you are sure to get to the right people.

I have read quite a few post on this problem and if I understand it properly the main frame is still intact and the rig would be towable even though it looks bad. The welds for the walls is what broke loose from the main frame so the main frame should still support towing.

A 2003 is still under the five year warranty for the frame and I am sure Lippert will make it good. They always have.

Tom
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I can understand your frustration. I have had an issue with my bedroom slide over the past 2 years and my dealership has not been able to find a solution. I just picked up my coach this afternoon from the Keystone plant in Indiana where they have gone above and beyond in getting my coach fixed. You can ready the store in the General category. I hope you are able to get you rv fixed soon and have you back on the road.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Keystone has been very good about taking care on any frame type situations. Even on units out of warranty.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote