Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
heinzk1

M.O.C. #9227
Gray Tanks are they connected together?

I have read another post here that explains that the 93 gal of gray water is actually split between the kitchen and the shower. I was wondering, is there an over flow from the shower tank to the kitchen tank or I am hoping that the shower tank is alot larger than the kitchen tank.

I hate doing dishes; So I will be using a lot more shower water than kitchen water.

Just wondering,
Kheinz

heinzk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Kheinz, the 93 gal is a combination of both tanks and not one tank. The galley is a seperate smaller tank than the shower.
There is not a factory overflow, but many of us have installed a valve at the sewer end so that we can equalize the tanks when boon docking.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Steve is correct about the factory design. You gray and black tanks open into the same discharge line very close together. The galley tank empties into the discharge line down stream.

You can learn how to manipulate the existing valving manually to equalize the gray and galley tanks. That would require a slide valve at the end of your discharge line to shut off the discharge so you can equalize.

At your RV store, you can purchase that slide valve for between $10 and $20. My preference is to cut the discharge pipe behind the current bayonet connect and cement the new slide valve, with a bayonet outlet, on to the end of the pipe. Then you can close that valve and open the gray and galley valves to equalize. Personally, I would never equalize with the black tank.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The photo below is what Emmel is refering to---

Keep this valve closed and the shower and galley tank valves closed. As water will seek it's own level you are now sharing the 2 tanks. OF COURSE, you will also keep the black tank closed.
When you are ready to dump...[list_to_fix][*]Close Gally Valve [*]Close Shower Valve [*]Open Black Tank [*]Open extra valve pictured above.
during this segment you can also flush the Black Valve.[*]Close the Black Tank [*]Open Gally Valve and Dump
When Gally has dumped Close Gally Valve[*]Open the Shower Valve
After Dumping of all 3 tanks, Leave the Black Tank Valve closed and the Extra valve closed. Leave the Shower and gally valves open
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Haven't seen a gate valve like that, Glenn? Could you explain that configuration for me?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Look at your gauges. You will have Fresh and Black for each of those tanks and then you will have one or two grey/galley/bath tanks. If you have one indicator then you have a single 93 gallon tank, otherwise, two indicators means two tanks.

To do what Stiles and Glenn describe you can purchase a one piece solution called a "Flush King" that is clear plastic, has a valve and has a hose connector and attaches to the drain outlet.

If you don't want to do what Stiles and Glenn describe some MOCers will keep their gray valves open and let the drains flow freely. Towards the end of their stay they will close the valves to collect gray water. Then when draining the black tank, this grey water is used to clean out the black water from the plumbing. But this is an owner/user preference and requires some planning.

Reminder: Like others have mentioned. DO NOT open the Black tank when the gray tank valves are open. This is very unsafe, unclean and unhealthy.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Haven't seen a gate valve like that, Glenn? Could you explain that configuration for me?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I could swear I see an attachment on the bottom of your valve? Is that an optical illusion? OH I see! It's the original cap before the gate valve was put on. I'm getting older...

Don't believe I've seen a cap attached with that type of tether before... Is that what is being put on newer units now?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The valve didn't come with the cap. That's the cap that came with the Monty.

I should also point out that the valve is filthy. The result of a wet gravel driveway.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801

[/quote]

Glenn, where did you get your valve? Is this the one that you glue onto the outlet pipe after cutting off the old mount?

I keep checking with Camping World and they don't have it in stock.
Thanks,
Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
What Glenn and I use is not glued on, it actually screws on just like the sewer hose. We used a huge hose clamp to secure it on the outlet so it won't fall off while traveling. The clamp was Glenns advise and it works great!
I purchased mine at our local rv dealership, was in stock.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Kheinz, the 93 gal is a combination of both tanks and not one tank. The galley is a seperate smaller tank than the shower.....
It used to be that all the dirty water type tanks were the same size (38 Gals.) For the 2010 models I see the Black (Waste) Tank is 50 Gals and the gray (Galley and Shower combined I assume) tank is 93 Gals.

How much smaller is the galley vs. the shower tank? Is this documented anywhere?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:49 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I won mine at the 2006 Fall Rally.

I know that CW doesn't carry them in stock but I believe you can order them.

It is a Valterra T50 Assembly

The photo I used came from Sun Country Services
I also found it listed at rvparts4u.com
I have no good or bad information on Sun Country or rvparts4u.

This valve attaches with a 1/4 turn twist just like your sewer hose attaches. I do not suggest cutting the sewer pipe or gluing.
Use a Hose Clamp where it connects to the Montys sewer pipe and forget it. As I said, I won mine in 2006, installed it the next day and it works just like new 3 years later.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
heinzk1

M.O.C. #9227
Thanks for the information, a little disappointing but I can deal with it. It would have been nice not to have to rig up a new trailer to use the capacities of the gray tanks that they advertise.

What could be a reason for Keystone not automatically linking the 2 tanks together straight from the factory?

And as another person posted here, what are the sizes of the tanks?

Just curious,
Ken@rlmrlm.com
heinzk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I got the valve that just twists on. Then I close that one and open both gray tank valves, as others described. This also increases total gray water capacity by the volume held in the dump pipes.

I once lost the clipon valve while on the road. I do not like to remove it each time we hit the road because eventually the o-ring seal wears and starts to leak. So I leave it on all the time. I used a bungee cord to secure it so it will not twist off while on the road or accidentally when I'm pulling the handle to dump the tanks.

Another advantage of this valve is you can connect the sewer hose with that slide closed so you don't get the leftover water that's worked its way to the dump cap while bouncing down the road. Less mess, in other words.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote