Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Kitchen Tip Out or Slide?

I read a post a month or so ago where somebodies 3400 kitchen slide would tip out on a corner and then launch the Apollo out of the cabinet when the slide slammed shut. I starting thinking of how our tray broke the glass in the Apollo door, and maybe ours tips out as well.

With the slides in, I can give a hefty push on the top of the kitchen slide and it will tip out. I have looked at everything on the slide, and it all seems normal. I assume it is because of the shallow depth of the slide and the actual weight, but I don't know.

Has anybody else tried this? I can't see if it actually tips out around a corner, as any right turn puts the slide on my blind side. Is mine broke, or just the nature of the beast. Should I use a interior slide jack?

MIMF2 - any ideas?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brad, I haven't tried it exactly like that but the slide adjustment procedure includes putting the slide partway out, loosening and setting the slide adjusters, then rocking the heck out of the slide to move it into the new position on the adjusters. I have done that.

Thus I'd guess it's normal to be able to rock the slide when retracted. But using the slide button should not cause a violent action that would launch the oven out of it's home. I haven't checked but surely that oven is not a press fit but should somehow be secured in position. And it should not move enough to break the glass tray. Vicki puts some "things" on that glass tray for when we're on the road. She doesn't do it to protect the tray but just uses the space for things that otherwise sit out on the counter. Maybe that extra weight keeps our tray from getting broken.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Good info on the slide adjustment Steve, thanks.

It's not a violent reaction with the switch, it centrifigal force going around a corner - and I imagine in the other guys case, actuall hitting a curb. He said he could watch his slide tip out from the TV mirrors. I actually can't see that happening, but I guess it could given the ability to push out on the top of the slide with it closed. Evidently after he made the turn, the slide slammed shut knocking out the Apollo (It just sits in a bracket behind the trim ring. Trim ring breaks easily then out it goes.

Brad
Old 04-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Hey guys, that kitchen slide is slightly different for a flush floor system than the other two main floor rooms in our units. That system, because the way the kitchen slide is built, is more flush or level with the floor of the coach. That means that the arms at each end of the room go straight across from one frame beam to the other. The arms for the other two are at a 5 degree angle from the beeam on that side the room is on going upward to the beam on the other side.

Therefore, it would stand to reason that if any rooms are going to do any tipping in and out at the top as you go around a corner, would be the two other rooms. If a room is tilting out ward at the top as you go around a corner, there has to be a good reason. That reason, to me, would be that the lag bolts that go thru the room bar and into the floor are loose. Granted, since that room moves mostly straight in and out like our upstairs bed slides and since it has some pretty heavy appliances in it, I could understand how that would happen. But, my guess would be that if that is happening, something is not quite right.

As far as room blocks are concerned, I wouldn't hesitate to use them in an emergency situation as long as you remind yourself somehow that, before you push the switch to extend the slides, you remove that block. If you don't, something will surely get broken!
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dale,

Are the room bars you are talking about (lag bolts) above the main floor?

I'll have to do some more playing. I'm not sure if mine actually tips out on the road like the other guys, but there is sure nothing stopping it. I'll look below the slide to see what it looks like.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Brad we have not had any issue as stated. We will check it out however. Thanks for the question as it does pose some questions.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
I made the first post. Our TV is a 610 Volvo pickup so I have big mirrors, on a right turn looked back as the Montana came around, saw the kithen slide out at the top about 12/14", then it slammed back into place. COULD not believe what I saw. The mocrowave was thrown out on our last trip but dealer did not know why.
Bolts under slide are not tight and are bent.
Dealer has been talking to Montana and the maker of the slide, no word on what they are going to do.
For what we paid I expected better response. This is our first Montana, traded a Cardinal for it, wish we had the Cardinal back. Took a list of 28 major items to dealer and are now told that they are waiting for Montana to call them.
Sorry, Just ticked!
Robb
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Remembering that post I did try to do that and could not budge the kitchen slide.I should have asked Helen to try it as she is much stronger than me....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
Thanks, Rich.
This makes me think I have a real problem.
Robb
Old 04-05-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Robb,

Are the bent bolts those out at the end of the slide (outer edge)?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
The Bolts go down at the outer edge of the slide and go through the 2X2 steel on the end of the hyd. shaft.
Robb
Old 04-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Robb, I'll look at mine. Keep me posted on your fix - assuming you get some answers
Old 04-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
NO guys, the room bar is the square steel tube under the floor of the room just in behind the skirting. The lag bolts go up thru it into the floor of the room. At each end of the room bar is where the adjustment heads are welded to that altimately connect to the inner tubes.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks MIMF2 -

Now I'm really curious. Wish the monty wasn't at the body shop.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
(borrowed this pick from another post) Are these the room bars and bolts with nuts extending down as shown in this picture?

Old 04-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #16
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
Yes those are the bolts, not lag screws.
Robb
Old 04-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Looks like this guys are bent too - hmmm
Old 04-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #18
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Brad,

That's it. I forgot about the bolts. I was thinking about several other manufacturers that use lag bolts and go up thru from the bottom. I forgot that Keystone does it better by going thru from the top.

Dale
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:28 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mine are also bent..Have been since day one..I would guess that is normal..It had better be??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
I just brought the coach out of the garage from its winter nap yesterday afternoon. I went and tried my kitchen slide to see if it will tip out at the top while retracted. It is solid, won't budge at all, thank goodness!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote