Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #41
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
Thank you for posting this. I have never weighed my 5er but now I'm really interested. Do you just pull onto the scales at a Flying J or do you disconnect and weigh the truck first and then reconnect and weigh both? I don't want to look like an idiot when I go do this so any advice is appreciated.
Your pin weight as listed from manufacturer is EMPTY weight. And is most likely inaccurate.
Actual weights, LOADED, including full fresh water tank:

Go in the store first and tell them what you want to do, you will need 3 weights. They should be able to tell you where on the scale to put your truck and rig for the weights you want.

1. park rig and weigh rear axle with full fuel tank.
2. Drop RV on scales. Weigh RV with full load including full fresh water tank.
3. Weigh rear axle with rig on board.

You can really do this in any order you want as long as you have the 3 weights. You can now determine your actual loaded axle weight without the rig. Axle weight with rig, and actual weight of RV loaded. You can now determine how your weights fit within your truck axle rating, payload rating, and actual pin weight loaded. These are most critical to know. Best to know worst case/ heaviest loads and know what your wiggle room is, or if you are already maxed out or over weight.
Having said all that, I need to practice what I preach. Lol! Having new tires put on first of next week, then headed to the scales. Hope this helps.

Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #42
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Download the CAT, "Weigh my truck" app from Google play store.
Open the app and setup an account including how you are going to pay ($12 initial weigh + $2 re-weigh).
Follow the instructions on the app. Its really easy, walks you right through the steps.
Here's a good video

Great video, thanks. One thing I was curious about was how much load goes to front axle. Some part of that pin weight goes to the front axle and most never figure that in to pin weight. I guess rear axle pin weight is most critical.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:18 AM   #43
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Great video, thanks. One thing I was curious about was how much load goes to front axle. Some part of that pin weight goes to the front axle and most never figure that in to pin weight. I guess rear axle pin weight is most critical.

Mikelff that was a great video you posted. Now I'm curious to see the weight my rig is.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #44
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If you travel in or through Oregon, be aware the State scales are always operational even when the office is closed. So when you see a closed one, you can do an exhaustive weigh job. There is only one scale which means you have to weigh the front, rear, and trailer wheels separately. But a little simple math will give you totals. Before you unhitch and weigh empty, take the opportunity to do something you can't do at the truck scales.

Back the rig up and now weigh only one side of the front, rear, and trailer tires. If you are really good you can measure each wheel of a two axle trailer individually. Now that you know the weight of each wheel on one side, you can calculate the weight on the other wheel.

Lastly weigh the truck without the RV to determine the pin weight.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #45
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
In my case, the 3100 pin weight added 160lbs to the front axle
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #46
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Loaded for a 3 month trip, my 3121 pin weight was 3500 lbs. I suspect the trailer alone will put him over his limits, but that's just me guessing.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:21 AM   #47
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Here is what I would do. Hook up the trailer with all your stuff. Take it to the scale and weigh everything and then check the weight on the drive wheels. If you are below the GAWR than you are good to go. If you are over that weight then you need to unload something. Don't forget the load rating on the tires. That also counts. I do however think that your axle rating is higher than the tire rating. You are not overloaded if you are under the axle or tire rating.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #48
jelders25
Established Member

M.O.C. #26208
Smile Re Truck Capacity

I have a 2020, 3121RL and struggled with the same thing. I've attached the you tube video that helped me understand exactly what size truck I needed.

jelders25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #49
Dave10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23030
I talked to guy pulling a heavy DRV with a 2015 F250. He added air bags on the truck and claims he has no problem with he F250 pulling a 20k+ GVW trailer. I suspect the GM 250 and Ford diesels are simular in pulling charactorists.
Dave10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #50
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave10 View Post
....claims he has no problem with he F250 pulling a 20k+ GVW trailer.....
Right, that's what they all say.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #51
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I pulled a friend’s DRV with my 2008 F250 6.4 diesel. Before I started I was a little worried about the weight of the camper and the pin weight. You can believe any thing you wish but it was no problem, starting, stopping, up hill, down hill or anywhere else.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #52
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
This is the reason I bought a class 8 tractor to pull my fifth wheel. I'm never going to exceed the rear axle weight of the truck.