Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #641
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
When the truckers hauling food & dry goods have had enough and stop hauling; food, etc. will be hard to come by and I predict a revolt
will be in the making. When our elected officials can't get the food for their own tables then something will get done.

Diesel in La Crosse is 4.79 gal.

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #642
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We as a Country are 15 years behind. Should have been drilling any place were we could possibly find oil. Now we are in serious trouble and the future is bleak. There is a small majority of people who want everything to go back a 100 yrs. And these same people don't have a clue what will or is happening today. Just a matter of time before America will be in a situation of which will be hard to return from. America runs on Oil, to get anything close to replacing Oil will take many years if ever

Just walked out on our deck over looking the Tennessee River and there are hundreds of boats and Jet ski's runing. Looks as if Oil is cheap. Guess the though is just keep going the Goverment will fix it, well that want happen. We are so Blessed to have traveled this beautiful Country before what is happening has happened. I feel bad for all those that probably want ever be able to experience what we have lived. It is very sad to watch all this happen and to have been caused by just a very small majority of uneducated people. Who are only think they know it all. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #643
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I'm sitting here on the tennessee river (chickamauga lake) and seeing just what you described about all the boats and jet skis. I seen one boat that looks like the ones the drug runners on tv uses taking off and I know he had to used 20 gallons of fuel just on the take off. I think high price fuel is here to stay. I also think people will adjust some how just as I did when gas was 17 to 23 cents a gallon. when it reached 65 cents I thought no way could I afford to drive. But I did as we all did. I started fulltiming in oct 98, with a diesel motorcoach, diesel was 95 cents a gallon while regular gas was &1.05 on average. I wont stop rving, maybe change a few ways in doing it. The American people has been thru worst and we will weather out the so called coming storm. There has been many many storms before and we made it, and we will this time. This Memorial weekend, we should give thanks for what we have and seek out solutions to the problem, I think we are smarter and tougher then to give up. I dont have all the answers, but together we can and will survive and find the answers.
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #644
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Wayne and Carolyn.. diesel in Austin is 4.69 today.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #645
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Diesel here three days ago was $4.99 a gallon. Haven't had the courage to look again in the last day or so. It's a Holiday weekend so I don't imagine it's gone down any & probably has gone up. If tradition on fuel prices around here holds true this year we won't see it going down between now until after the 4th of July. Ugh! Sure puts a damper in the upcoming plans. Not going to stop us but surely will slow us down a bit & we'll have to do much less sight seeing, along with other fun stuff.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #646
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Know what..we don't care anymore,,For us the damage is done. We are leaving for the MOC N.E Rally in Gettysburg tomorrow morning which should have been the start of our Summer adventure to all the new England States. We had to scrap those plans and there is no going back now so it is MOC rally and back home where the truck and camper sit.If the fuel prices allow it we will go to Florida for the winter..If not rv'ing will be history and we will come up with a affordable alternative. Diesel 4.899. Gas 4.059
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #647
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Rich
I agree with you. A storm is a brewing and it's going to be a big one. Just hope we can make it through it. And they say that we are better off now then 8 years ago???????
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #648
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
hazmic, the ones that will make it thru the easiest are the ones that have been and still are "debt free", people that does not live beyond their means, people that doesnt buy new trucks and carsevery year or two so they could keep up with the neighbors who most likely are the ones having their homes taken back because they over extended. I am living as good as I was 8 years ago, because I have never lived beyond what I could afford. I know times are going to get hard, but they have before, and a person cant put the blame on certain people in office. Remember whos in congress! lol, about time people takes responsibly for their own welfare. I dont have a "shiney" new truck , but I do have a nice shiney 1999 truck. There is no way in hell I would pay 50,000 for a new truck then cant afford to drive it even if diesel is $6.00 a gallon. Anyways The gloom and doom isnt solving anything. changing a lifestyle can and will. I'm done LOL, thanks
Tom
Old 05-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #649
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Tom I hear ya, I don't have a choice. We have to live within our means we are both retired and know exactly what we make. When we were full timing we didn't have any bills. But we quit and build another stick house. And still didn't have any bills, but then decided to sell the Cambridge, but the people wanted the Truck also. So we went ahead sold both. Which was a mistake because we just couldn't spend another winter in Tennesee. I ordered another Truck a 2008 Chevy 3500 and paid cash for the Truck. Then in Feb we ordered another 5th wheel. So took some equity out of the new house which BTW is the only way to buy a 5th wheel (very low interest). So we have a 2009 SOB and are looking at the Big Sky 10th Edition for the Future. So we are doing what we want. But we are in a position if we don't travel we live on the Tennessee River and our back yard is 1,200 acres of forest and all kinds of wild life. So we are living good and within our means. I just wish that the Oil situation hadn't gotten out of ours hands. So the People who haven't been able to do what you and I have done could be able to experience this Country as Delaine and I have. I really don't think we will travel 25,000 miles in one year again. But we did and seen just about all we wanted to see. I hope the future does let people see our wonderful Country as we have. But look whats coming in Nov. It sure looks sad to us, our choices aren't very good. But we will see. GBY......
Old 05-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #650
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Living within your means is relative .Many of the folks who are caught up in the mortgage crisis purchased in good faith from folks they trusted . We are not all financial experts. Many folks who are in trouble did not have the financial expertise and relied on those who supposedly did, these are the folks who should be in jail for out and out fraud. We have a shinny new truck,Paid for, a 06 3400, paid for. We have more in assets than we do in liabilities. For us that is living within our means. As for the travel budget we will spend the money we budgeted for travel at the first of the year..which was within our means. Skyrocketing cost of energy and everything it effects means that budgeted money will not take us as far..so we cut back..in order to stay within our means....so you see it is all relative..
Old 05-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #651
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Well I guess different people looks at "relative" in different ways. As far as loan companies I see them making loans to people that cant afford that much house, or a new car. thats bad loans, thats why we bailing them out. But you are in fine shape Rich. but think about it, when diesel was $3.00 or even $3.25 a gallon most people were ok with it. They still traveled. Lets say most pulling a trailer gets avg. of 10 miles a gallon. thats 100 gallon per 1000 miles, which is quiet aways for a month or two of towing, (for me anyway) so at $ 4.75 gallon now, a 1000 miles will cost $150.00 more then a yr ago. Now since you are like me and debt free, dont you think you could come up with a way to afford that $150.00 per 1000 miles? 10,000 miles is $1500.00 if diesel averages 4.75. When a person has no monthly payments, and he has planned his trip, like stay at state parks, COE parks, and PPA parks I think most can still afford to travel in an RV, even staying a few nights at flying J or walmarts. So you see it isnt "relative". Its planning for anything you do and staying the course. So maybe we arnt to far off course here, we did discuss diesel prices and the extra cost,LOL, thanks
Tom
Old 05-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #652
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Relative??? Relative??? That reminds me... I was going to check into moving into the "relatives" driveway/front yard to make up the difference for my CG rent vs diesel budget...

Tom, you are right about the price difference for travel of then vs now. I could travel to FL from N. MI for ~$230 more than a year ago. That's doable. That's nothing that would stop us dead from making that trip - just would give me something else to whine about.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #653
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree if Diesel stays at $5.00 a gal or under its not so bad. Question what do we budget for the trip in to Florida for Dec, Jan, Feb. Do you really think Diesel will stay under $5.00 a gal. I sure don't, I believe it will be about $6.00 or as high as $8.00. Now how is that going to effect the RV parks. Do you think they will keep their same prices? I don't see how they can, Oil puts pressure on everything you buy. We are just going to have to wait and see and save as much as we can. As Ben Stein says we better get with the program and put pressure on Congress to let the Big Oil company's go after more resources, its there we just have to get it. Chairman of Shell told Congress thats the only way prices will come down. Well we will shoot for a budget of $7.00 a gal for Diesel for the Dec time frame, and keep our fingers crossed. GBY....
Old 05-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #654
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
There but for the grace of God, go I.

I happen to know several families who are really affected by this entire mess, jobs gone up in smoke, caught somehow, in that mortgage mess, fuel and food expenses going up every moment.

Now, does that make them stupid?? Nope. It makes them in a mess, I can tell you.

I know that several of them are going to lose their homes, it is a given. They will lose any equity they may have thought they had.

I also know a number of us, are counting our blessings and praying that we are not next. That our health insurance keeps getting paid by our company that we gave 30 or 30 plus years to.

Counting our blessings that we can still pay that grocery bill. Cannot afford to drive much, so the errands and shopping are about all we do.

Counting our blessings that we can still pay the mortgage payments, not all of us were able to pay off that mortgage before retirement, was that smart?? maybe not, but it is our reality.

Some of us cannot even think of selling our homes, the value went way down, and there are no buyers.

Is, this our fault, NO. Is this our reality, for a bunch of us, YES.

For those that got out from under the stick and bricks before all this stupid stuff started happening, we are really happy for you. Some of us are not there, for a variety of reasons, family commitments, boring stuff like that.

For those that got to travel and see the USA before the price of fuel went up, you lucky devils! You lived a dream a a bucket load of us dreamed, many of us will never get to see our dreams. Is that our fault, maybe, maybe poor planning, maybe responsiblities.

OKKK,I took some exception to some of the posts today, I am sorry. No, I am not, please, lets all try to remember that some MOC people, and lots of Americans are hurting right now. It is NOT all their fault. We cannot say, ohhh, ya know what, I think that $4.00 a gallon of gas is more than you should charge, so, I think I will only pay you, ohhhh, $2.50 a gallon.

Much of this mess is NOT in our control.

It won't be long before the moderators come in and shut this thread down, cause we are way off subject again. GULP

And, I cannot even tell you the price of gas or diesel today, cause we are home, sitting, trying to save the $$ to afford that fuel to get us to Mission next winter.

Please pray for those of us who are losing their homes, who have lost their jobs. Pray for those in Iowa last night who lost their lives (that one hit home real hard, as Al's family were in 2 of those towns hit, Parkersburg and New Hartford).

Sometimes things are out of our control, and what with maybe a bad choice we end up in deep doo doo.

There but for the grace of God, go I.

Anyone know the price of fuel in Lenawee Michigan today??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #655
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Carol, your gas is running around $4.10. Diesel is around $4.98 today by you. We also have family members and friends who are hurting and on the verge of a disaster.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #656
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
This thread is getting off topic in a serious way. There has been some great information shared on the various posts but either it gets back on topic and stays there or it gets closed down.

Take your pick.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 AM   #657
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had to go back to the first few post to remind myself what the topic is/was. The first post was Feb 29th 2008 and it related to fuel prices. D iesel was at that time in the 3.30/to 3.50 range ..We are leaving for Gettysburg is a couple of hours and diesel is over 5.00 per gallon on the Ohio and PA tpks.. that is only @ 1.50 per gallon higher in 3 months. Then I guess the topic is the price of fuel . The cause and effect is perhaps for another thread maybe in "Around the campfire."It is interesting to me as to how the price of energy effects folks. We opened a thread in Around the campfire on..Interesting facts about Oil. Perhaps that is a better place.Or a thread over there on..How the price of energy affects us.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 AM   #658
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Charleston Area, Diesel is up to $4.49, Regular is at $3.75, it goes up some nights $.06 per gal. It was amazing how all the stations went up before Friday and the Memorial Weekend.

These are the cheaper prices, some stations are up to $4.70 on diesel.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:09 AM   #659
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Rich, you are right about another thread like around the campfire, maybe a thread like..How to cope with rising fuel prices and still travel...This is my last post on this thread..fuel prices are going to stay high and most likely higher, no need to ponder on that, just ways to deal with it.. thanks
Tom
Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 AM   #660
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Sense most of us are going to let the diesels set a lot and hopefully summer is coming and hot weather,just don't forget to put anti fungus or algae killer in the tank[s]. That stuff grows fast in hot temps. Might just save you some problems. Yes tom all we can do is grin and bear it. Going to fill it today and wash it and put it on the neighbors garage. Won't need it as the Montana is 1150 miles away. I will post how much it is here but we are pretty much the same as everyone else. Usually diesel goes up as the farmers will be using it to plant crops.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote