Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Computer Software

I could not find a topic on computer software so here is one.

What type of computer software do you use to plan trips?

I saw a post where someone was using Google Maps to plan a trip to Florida. So I guess that is one way.

I have two software programs. The first one I purchased is Microsoft Streets and Trips for about $25 at SAMS Club. One could also purchase directly from MS. The second one I purchased is CoPilot. Although not as intuitive as MS S&T, it does allow you to put in a height and be warned when their are low bridge clearances on your route.

I really like MS S&T. I wish they had height clearances, but they do not. But, it does have some great features. Once a route is calculated and you want to vary it, you can just click on the rout and drag it to where you want to go and it automatically adjusts the route.

One of the better features I like about MS S&T, is the live search option. MS S&T is a stand alone program. If you have internet available, you can click on "Live Search," then put in RV Park, and the center of the map you are on will pop up red markers with all the RV Parks. There will be a list on the left that will take you to internet information about that park. I use MS S&T exclusively for planning. Before I got the TomTom, I purchased a GPS Receiver for MS S&T and used it in the front seat for navigation. TomTom is quite more portable in size, but not that great for planning.

Anyhow, what else is out there?

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
On this site there are several files that can be downloaded and used in MS streets & trips,I use them as back-up on my laptop before I go on the road and then I us a GPS so my DW doesn't have the laptop on her lap. http--www.discoveryowners.com-cginfolinks.htm
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I use the Map Source program from Garmin that came with my GPS. Granted the version that I am using is 4 years old the in a lot of cases it doesn't list roads that are newer but overall it works much better than Map Quest. The few times I have used mapQuest it has lead us around our butts to get to our elbows. We used it to get directions to a camp ground in Fredricksburg Va. last year and we ended up in a sub division 3 miles from the CG and we were in a cul-de-sac. Not fun with a trailer behind. I am hoping for a newer version of Map Source for my Quest GPS... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I like S&T. We use it both for planning and travelling. We have files that provide locations of low bridges, as well as Wal-Marts and Flying J's. You can put almost anything you want into S&T to customize it, if you search around the internet you can find files like these to use. My laptop will sit comfortably on the console of our truck, so the navigator does not have to have it on their lap. A friend has Co-pilot, and he can't seem to make it work right, and neither can I although I have not spent much time trying. I suspect that any of these programs require a bit of learning to get used to their quirks, and once you have one figured out, you likely will want to stick with it. Google maps are great, but I don't think they will take a GPS input. Google Earth will take a GPS input, but the detail is not good in some areas.

I just wish there was a mapping program as good as S&T for the Mac.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I use the GPS software for laptops sold by ALK. Its called Co-Pilot Live. It is great for planning trips, has an RV application that avoids sharp turns and low bridges (only bridges on major roadways)and seems to be very accurate in GPS mode. It is not as portable as a Garmin unit because it is on our laptop but its trip planning features sold me.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We use Delorme's Steet Atlas with GPS.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We have an older version of Delorme too, and wonder if anyone out there is using it in a wireless application. While in the truck I have so many blasted wires hooked up it would be nice to eliminate one of them. I have found a Delorme that uses blue tooth technology, but the reviews are varied and mostly apply to phones and pda, (I think that's what their called? )

So, hoping that some MOC friend out there has this newer version or at least some experience with it and can't either recommend it or pooh pooh it.

Thanx,
Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:27 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wow! There seems to be a diverse line of products.

Garyka, Link does not work directly. It also appears that it is a members only site.

Dave, One thing i don't like about the small portable GPS is the capability to get you into a situation like you described. While out and about this past couple weeks I wanted to see where a road went. TomTom adjusted and appeared to like the new route, only to find it was a dead end. I didn't have the Hanna, so turning around was not a big deal (Well, CC, Long bed!)

John, very interested in the heights and other navigational aids you mentioned. Can you share them or are they a cost item? Also how did you put them into S&T? Guess I need to learn a little more. PM or email me or put location of files and instructions here for all to learn.

Come on all! I know there has to be tons of software and modififications out there. POST.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Wayne -

The Big Two are Delorme Street Atlas and Microsoft Streets and Trips. You can do a search and you will find all kinds of free data to download - like the file for low bridges. I believe you can import the GPS .csv files into either of them. You can use a handheld gps or one of the new gps receivers built just for either of the programs. I'm not sure about the TomTom, but Garmin has a program called nroute that works with its handheld gps units and a laptop. It's a free download. I currently am using a Nuvi 680, but used a Garmin GPS60C before that. If you know what you're looking for and can't find it, pm me and I'll try to help.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Here is more information that you will ever need. It gives files that can be downloaded into various mapping programs including S&T.
http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm
Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
And here is another GPS unit that is designed for truckers that has restrictions built in. (I have posted this link before).
GPS Link
Old 03-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks John.
Good links.
Downloaded several files.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
The link is not a member only site,it was given to me from a MOC member and it is mentioned again in this topic.Once it is imported into s/t it will show all bridges below 13'6'.Also the walmarts,flying j's and any other file taken from this site.I use these files in s/t.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Garyka,
the link you posted QUOTE http--www.discoveryowners.com-cginfolinks.htm UNQUOTE would not work. The one John posted is the exact same link correctly hyperlinked. I took your post and went to www.discoveryowners.com and that was a request to become a member
Somehow the slashes // got transposed to dashes -- in your link.

Thanks for your post as it brought out what I was needing.