Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
Installing new batteries

Hello all. I am planning to replace my 2 grp 24 batteries with 2 six volt 235AH batteries. I'm currently in NM and plan to travel to TX to see my daughter and purchase the batteries.

Here's my question. If I pull the 12V batteries will the 12V system still run off the 110VAC converted to 12VDC? Are there other potential problems that might happen if left for a week without batteries?

I'm still learning about these RV systems. It seems to me the converter would operate the 12VDC part of the system. Thanks

Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
You will need a 12V battery to operate your trailer brakes in the event of a disconnection.
The battery will also need to be there for you to operate the slides and jacks.
The battery is also needed when you buy the new ones as a core$
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
As long as you're connected to shore power the converter will supply 12 V, but you won't be able to run jacks or slides.
If you're planning on pulling the batteries for a while, make sure you insulate the charge cable coming from the converter to the batteries, because if it touches the chassis for even a split second you'll blow it's fuses.
I did that last summer when I replaced my four batteries, wanted to take my old batteries so I wouldn't have to pay the core charge then return to get it back.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I thought that 2 6V batteries are better than a 12V battery. But 2 12's were better than 2 6's. Someone else should chime in here soon.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:32 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
You can get more amp hours from 2 6 volt batteries in series than 2 12 volt batteries in parallel. 6 volt batteries wired in series double the voltage (which gives you 12 volts) but the amp hour rating remains the same. When you wire 2 12 volt batteries in parallel, the voltage remains 12 volts, but the amp hours will double. With that, most 12 volt batteries even doubled are slightly less amp hours than the 6 volts. Also, 6 volt batteries have heavier and thicker plates and are made to handle the charge/discharge cycle better, so they will typically give a longer service life assuming they are maintained well.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
When we bought our rig used in oct 15 the dealer installed 2- 12 volt battlers. We already had 2 -6 volts. I wired them all together and they are still going strong today. I just check the water level once a month or so and add distilled water when needed.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
When we bought our rig used in oct 15 the dealer installed 2- 12 volt battlers. We already had 2 -6 volts. I wired them all together and they are still going strong today. I just check the water level once a month or so and add distilled water when needed.
Whoa that is not recommended to do a series parallel mix with different batteries, in fact you should always use like batteries.That is a potential recipe for disaster.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
get 2 6 volt batteries.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarwin View Post
Hello all. I am planning to replace my 2 grp 24 batteries with 2 six volt 235AH batteries. I'm currently in NM and plan to travel to TX to see my daughter and purchase the batteries.

Here's my question. If I pull the 12V batteries will the 12V system still run off the 110VAC converted to 12VDC? Are there other potential problems that might happen if left for a week without batteries?

I'm still learning about these RV systems. It seems to me the converter would operate the 12VDC part of the system. Thanks
Frankly 2 6v or 12v will only get you by you chould consider if doing a battery upgrade to install 4 6v. That will also provide mild dry camp capability. Like overnite in a parking lot if needed. Also note there are alot of GARBAGE batteries out there like the Interstate 6v that Costco sells

Here was my upgrade

For the OP I installed my 4 Trojans today removing the two 12v. As you can see the battery box barely fits but is doable. Even if you only buy two 12V you should still buy the 4 battery box so you can easily upgrade. You can just build a filler to take up the extra space.

As mentioned above I purchased 4 Trojan T105 Plus 225 AH $125 Ea no tax and no core required ($500 total )https://www.onlinebatterysale.com/store/

the Battery Box was purchased from All Battery Sales and Service $80 https://allbatterysalesandservice.co...atteries-gcq-g

I bought the 2" vent for the lid from Amazon $5
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I Just ordered the Watering system for $79 so they will for the most part be Maintenance free as I will gravity feed the system.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Flow-...bg-u24v-4g.htm

Total Cost of new 4 new batteries and box $665

Old 08-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Whoa that is not recommended to do a series parallel mix with different batteries, in fact you should always use like batteries.That is a potential recipe for disaster.
The setup has been in the rig for 5 years not one single issue. They were all fairly new when I put them in. When they're done I will definitely go all 6 volt
Old 08-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #11
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
The setup has been in the rig for 5 years not one single issue. They were all fairly new when I put them in. When they're done I will definitely go all 6 volt
and that suggest what you have been LUCKY??? (so far). Also those those batteries will not charge at the same rate which is highly problematic. People like this should not be giving advice about batteries
Old 08-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcneal View Post
you can get more amp hours from 2 6 volt batteries in series than 2 12 volt batteries in parallel. 6 volt batteries wired in series double the voltage (which gives you 12 volts) but the amp hour rating remains the same. When you wire 2 12 volt batteries in parallel, the voltage remains 12 volts, but the amp hours will double. With that, most 12 volt batteries even doubled are slightly less amp hours than the 6 volts. Also, 6 volt batteries have heavier and thicker plates and are made to handle the charge/discharge cycle better, so they will typically give a longer service life assuming they are maintained well.
'well said'
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #13
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
and that suggest what you have been LUCKY??? (so far). Also those those batteries will not charge at the same rate which is highly problematic. People like this should not be giving advice about batteries
I never gave any advice whatsoever. I merely stated my situation. Before I did so I did some research and the consensus was somewhat like you said but they wouldn't charge at the same rate but that doesn't matter to me. I was merely trying to make use of the new batteries that I had, 2 being 12 volt and 2 being 6 volt.

I just looked again and I can't find anything that says that what I've done is dangerous in any way. Definitely not an ideal situation and I know that
Old 08-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #14
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
I never gave any advice whatsoever. I merely stated my situation. Before I did so I did some research and the consensus was somewhat like you said but they wouldn't charge at the same rate but that doesn't matter to me. I was merely trying to make use of the new batteries that I had, 2 being 12 volt and 2 being 6 volt.

I just looked again and I can't find anything that says that what I've done is dangerous in any way. Definitely not an ideal situation and I know that
Here is one example

While a few variables may be involved with overcharging a 12v battery, the results are simple to check. A battery can quite simply die from being overcharged. This is the safest side-effect, but not the only thing that can happen. An overcharged battery will boil the sulfuric acid and distilled water mix. The casing of the battery can become hot to the touch, and begin to melt or swell. Flammable hydrogen can build up inside the sealed cells of the battery, causing swelling of the casing under pressure and seepage through small vents. Once the hydrogen is introduced to oxygen, it becomes a sitting time bomb. A small electrical spark can ignite the gas and cause the battery to explode, sending plastic and lead shrapnel flying around, in addition to a caustic sulfuric acid spray. Obviously, this is the most dangerous side-effect of an overcharged battery.

it is important to have a balanced 12v electrical supply system
Old 08-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #15
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Here is one example

While a few variables may be involved with overcharging a 12v battery, the results are simple to check. A battery can quite simply die from being overcharged. This is the safest side-effect, but not the only thing that can happen. An overcharged battery will boil the sulfuric acid and distilled water mix. The casing of the battery can become hot to the touch, and begin to melt or swell. Flammable hydrogen can build up inside the sealed cells of the battery, causing swelling of the casing under pressure and seepage through small vents. Once the hydrogen is introduced to oxygen, it becomes a sitting time bomb. A small electrical spark can ignite the gas and cause the battery to explode, sending plastic and lead shrapnel flying around, in addition to a caustic sulfuric acid spray. Obviously, this is the most dangerous side-effect of an overcharged battery.

it is important to have a balanced 12v electrical supply system
I am well aware the batteries can and do explode on occasion for many different reasons. However there are many that are not caused by and improper installation.

For example I bought a brand new 2002 Chevy diesel truck and five or so years into owning it I got home one day and heard a noise under the hood. I proceeded to open the hood to find one of the batteries extremely hot and boiling. The two batteries were factory installed and were never changed within those five years. Luckily it did not explode and I replaced both the batteries.

So if you wish to think i have had good luck, then we all have that same luck since none of our batteries have exploded.

Trust me when I tell you I take extremely good care of everything I own be at the car truck van camper mower heavy equipment whatever it matters to be.

4 stage converter Chargers in these RV are pretty good with keeping the battery correctly and fully charged.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #16
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
I am well aware the batteries can and do explode on occasion for many different reasons. However there are many that are not caused by and improper installation.

For example I bought a brand new 2002 Chevy diesel truck and five or so years into owning it I got home one day and heard a noise under the hood. I proceeded to open the hood to find one of the batteries extremely hot and boiling. The two batteries were factory installed and were never changed within those five years. Luckily it did not explode and I replaced both the batteries.

So if you wish to think i have had good luck, then we all have that same luck since none of our batteries have exploded.

Trust me when I tell you I take extremely good care of everything I own be at the car truck van camper mower heavy equipment whatever it matters to be.

4 stage converter Chargers in these RV are pretty good with keeping the battery correctly and fully charged.
Based on your response i have to ask then... If you are aware of this then why would you intentionally config your batteries knowing the safety ramifications of series/parallel complications and major potential safety compromises with mixed batteries in this fashion? It is like you are asking for for trouble...
Old 08-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #17
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Certainly not asking for trouble just trying to utilize 4 nearly brand-new new batteries I had at the time.

Like I stated earlier when these are done I will definitely go to 4 -6 volt batteries
Old 08-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #18
chapman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10801
I run 2 6volt lifeline batteries , AGM 440 amp hrs. The last pair lasted 7 years ! 0 maintenance . A lot of dry camping The batteries always bounce back to full charge.
chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #19
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapman View Post
I run 2 6volt lifeline batteries , AGM 440 amp hrs. The last pair lasted 7 years ! 0 maintenance . A lot of dry camping The batteries always bounce back to full charge.
I'd love to have those but my pockets aren't deep enough.lol
Old 08-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #20
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I thought that 2 6V batteries are better than a 12V battery. But 2 12's were better than 2 6's. Someone else should chime in here soon.
6V golf cart batteries are just built tougher. Think about it, almost the same physical size but half the voltage.
When I took delivery of our new rig a few years ago it came with two 12 V batteries with a total of 150AH (75 usable) but I replaced them with 2 6V Trojan T105's, 225AH (112.5 usable) for a gain of 37.5AH usable power or 50% gain in usable power. Now I have gone Lithium.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote