Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2022, 11:16 AM   #21
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
On my 19 it's almost 6 inched ahead.
Yeah, they moved the gooseball center quite a bit!!

CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:34 AM   #22
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
Yeah, they moved the gooseball center quite a bit!!
It's a Curt goose ball hitch that was on the truck.
I put a manual slider on it, so if I ever need it.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:42 AM   #23
Old_Salty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12298
From my experience - it depends on your rig.
When I had my 2018 3500 SRW short box with non slider hitch and our 2012 Montana3750FL, there was no worries. I could maneuver very tight turns without any issues.
When we purchased our 2021 Montana 3791RD, there were worries - which unfortunately, we found out the hard way. The new hitch is about 6" shorter to the front of the Montana. We quickly purchased a slide hitch, and a new window, and...
Old_Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:19 AM   #24
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
2020 Ram 1 Ton, short box, pullrite slider & correct capture plate = simple piece of mind but yes it is very heavy. Two people can lift it in and out but it is one of those things where a hoist or lift makes much safer.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:18 PM   #25
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Most likely will need a slider. Every truck/FW combo is slightly different and no one publishes a model to model comparison. My suggestion is to buy your hitch once and make it an auto slider, and not be concerned about that issue again.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:24 PM   #26
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Ditto jsb5717 .........I also towed many years without a slider hitch in my short bed truck then replaced it with a slider hitch to give me piece of mind during the few occasions when I needed to jack knife the trailer. A friend bought a short bed truck with a slider hitch and on his maiden trip jack knifed the trailer and damaged his truck cab and window. He then traded it in for a long bed tuck and installed a standard hitch. So, it depends on how careful you are.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:16 PM   #27
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I’ve towed thousands of miles over 25 years, the majority with an 8’ box.

I found a used Reese slider on CL and installed it when I still had an 8’ box just because it tipped side to side and my old Owens hitch did not.

Fast forward to 2 years ago when I got my current TV with a 6.5’ box. Towed all the first year never sliding it even though I could. I was always careful and could maneuver fine… and then it happened! Backing into my own driveway!!! It was a loud explosion and glass everywhere! Thankfully no damage to the cab or the cap on the 5er.

Now I take the time to slide it whenever I’m in tight quarters. Normal corners during regular highway and city driving are no problem.

After I retire and start traveling more I’m upgrading to an auto slide hitch.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:41 PM   #28
RicknTee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28444
Anderson

We have a 2020 Chevy 3500HD Short Bed. I put an Anderson hitch in there and have been in a couple tight spots, no issue at all with my 2017 3160RL Montana. 50 lbs is great to remove when you need to.

I have a buddy that has a pull-rite slider hitch and he loves it. The only thing he doesn't like is that it's 250lbs and impossible for him to remove.

You will find that everyone has their own reasoning for what they like. I would say, do your research and see what would work best for you.

Welcome to this great forum.

Rick
RicknTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:50 PM   #29
Ickman
Established Member

M.O.C. #21864
Slider 5th wheel hitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounRSB View Post
I am purchasing a GMC 2022 Sierra 1 Ton with short bed. Do I need a 5th wheel slider?
Hi there, I have a 2016 1 ton Chev Silverado with short bed too. Yes I highly recommend to protect your truck and trailer that you use a automatic slider type hitch. Other wise when doing a tight corner the front of your trailer will hit the back of your cab!
We purchased the Demco Autoslider 18K for ours and it works awesome!
Hope this helps you?
Ickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:59 PM   #30
MikeRP
Established Member

M.O.C. #22500
Just some thoughts. I recommend a slider. If it’s manual, you just have to get used to getting out and doing it in ALL situations.

Manual sliders like my B&W, are very heavy and I think auto sliders are even heavier.

So the problems with those two are ease of removal and impact on payload. I can’t stand taking it in and out.

Also I hit my cab, very early on over the back window near the top of the cab, small crease. This was in the wal mart from heck in Naples Florida. I caught a curb on a very tight turn and it tilted the camper into the cab.

So I bought a long bed and I now use the Anderson. I may yet go back to the B&W.

One thing to remember is pay attention to the payload. Even with 4200 lbs payload on my long bed Ram, with a tool box 46 gallon aux tank and everything full, the truck weighs 9300 lbs. so only 3000 lbs for payload. So when I’m loaded, to camp I’m 200 lbs short of max on the rear axle.

The Anderson hitch makes that 400 lbs short. I also can remove some heavy tools in the tool box into the camper to help out. So make sure you check those numbers.

Hope this helps.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #31
Fishin2dMax
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20689
Welcome to the forum. Based on your information, you must be purchasing a single rear wheel 3500 HD. I have a 19, GMC 3500 HD SB single rear wheels with 6.5" bed and the good news I haven't needed a slider. One of the advantages of the new GM "standard bed" / Short bed truck is the bed is longer (6' 7") than previous years most and the mounting ball is 2" to rear of the rear axle. This extra 2" allows just enough extra room between cap of trailer and the cab of truck to negotiate tight turns without hitting the back of the truck cab. Of course, if not being careful, you could find yourself in a tight situation where there is significant elevation difference between truck and trailer and in tight turn that could hit the truck, but should that rare awkward situation ever occur, you'd just need to be careful when making the turn. With that truck, I really doubt you will need to use a slider hitch.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:36 PM   #32
DCT

M.O.C. #26473
We have a Chevy 2500 short bed (6.6). We went with a slider as at the time no one could advise us one way or the other. We now know the slider is not needed. The newer GM trucks have the rear axle located a few inchs more toward the rear then normal. This with the rounded noise on most Montanas allows you a full 90-degree jack knife turn with no issues
DCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:41 PM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:47 PM   #34
DCT

M.O.C. #26473
No argument with having and not needing it, but..... As we use the truck for other uses we need to remove the hitch frequently. At more than 200 pounds the slider is not easy to install/ un-install. Had to acquire a motor hoist which takes up room in the garage. If I had to do it over again I would go with a lighter non-slider hitch.
DCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:47 PM   #35
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
Get the slider

I have been towing a 5th wheel for 10 yrs all with a shout bed. I started with a manual slider that I was was usually too lazy to get out and use. Often when you need it you are in a high stress situation (pull into a gas station that is too tight and other drivers are honking at you to get out of the way) and the last thing on your mind is getting out and sliding the hit hitch. Been there done that. Never broke a window but did dent the cab.

I then got a pullrite 2600 and I would not be without it. It is great. However, I would not call it light it takes 2 men a boy and a 20 ton crane to get it in and out of the bed.
tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:24 PM   #36
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
Get a long bed. No problems
Speck56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:24 PM   #37
Milijose@embarqmail.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #25226
Yes my friend you going to need one
Milijose@embarqmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:16 AM   #38
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I would say, measure from the center of your hitch where the king pin will be and it it's more than half the width of your trailer you good to go. It it's less, you may want to consider a slider.
I do have a short box and B&W slider but I have not needed it to maneuver. I don't do 90deg turns. But what I do use it for is so I can open my front storage compartment with the truck hooked up.
At 275 lbs. I need to use an engine lift to remove it.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:04 PM   #39
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounRSB View Post
............1 Ton with short bed. Do I need a 5th wheel slider?
No, if you are very careful not to jack knife your trailer when backing up. I had a manual slider in the back of my Ford short bed that froze up and was unable to use the slider function for many years without an incident. I eventually replaced it with an automatic slider hitch for peace of mind. On the other hand, a friend with a short bed installed an automatic slider hitch and on his maiden voyage jack knifed his trailer and the cab hit the truck damaging its cab and rear window. He fixed the truck and then traded it in for a long bed truck with a fixed fifth wheel hitch.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:36 PM   #40
1wayhighway
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30465
I know this thread is starting to age a bit but wanted to chime in. We are in the process of purchasing a 2022 3121RL and GMC 3500 SRW. I was pretty set on getting a slider until talking to the dealer selling us the fiver who said that we wouldn't need it...According to the dealer, aside from changes in the new trucks, Keystone has lengthened the pin box. So the longer pin box along with the trimming of the corners on the trailer eliminates the need for the slider.

I have also found several comments on etrailer from folks who purchased a B&W (non-slider) and have had no issues. Only problem is they didn't say what trailer they were hauling.

I am pretty confused at this point as there doesn't seem to be agreement in this area, mostly because there are a lot of possible combinations. I don't want to buy a fixed hitch and regret it so I guess I am still leaning toward the auto-slider, maybe a pullrite.
1wayhighway is offline   Reply With Quote