Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #21
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
All of these 4500 gennys are HEAVY. Saw one at dealer today and it was 121 lb. Also the same for a Harbor freight and the northern tool one.

The dealer one had wheels on the back end, but I could barely lift the other end off the ground. Don't know how one (old) guy could lift it into a truck.

Also, years ago I bought a Boily that is 3000 watts continuous for $1000 or so. It will power my a/c if needed. I think it weighs in around 70-80 lbs so I can barely lift it into the truck bed. The drawback is it was a Chinese thing before there were any others out there. It has leaked oil since day one! I rarely use it so just add oil whenever I need it. Live and learn.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #22
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
... Don't know how one (old) guy could lift it into a truck.....
I'm no spring chicken any more either. The Cummings Onan P4500i come with a built in telescoping handle, making it very easy to move around. This is how I get them in the back of my truck:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #23
Sharmanclan
Established Member

M.O.C. #23552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdeb View Post
How large of a portable generator does everyone run?
What brand?

I have a 2021 3813MS with a residential fridge.
I understand we can only run 1 A/C unit(if we run one at all). But we do like our coffee and use the microwave a lot.

All suggestions welcome folks!

Thank you!
We boon dock quite a lot and changed from 2 x Honda 2000 to a Hyundai 3200HY. Very happy as its reliable and efficient. Also about half the costs of an equivalent Honda.
Sharmanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #24
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
I have a 3781RL and I run a Wen 3800 with soft starts on both AC’s and she runs BOTH AC’s, the residential fridge and lights with no problem. If I use the microwave I turn off one AC and she runs everything without an issue.
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #25
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Honda 2200 or a pair in parallel, depending on how much power you need.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #26
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdeb View Post
How large of a portable generator does everyone run?
What brand?

I have a 2021 3813MS with a residential fridge.
I understand we can only run 1 A/C unit(if we run one at all). But we do like our coffee and use the microwave a lot.

All suggestions welcome folks!

Thank you!
A pair of Honda EU2200 will run everything a 30A service will. To run both AC's add soft start kits to both AC's.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:31 PM   #27
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
we moved away from the Honda 3000 as it was just a bit underpowered with our 2021 295RL HC with residential fridge. We went with the cummins 4500 and it works just fine with just a hint of increase decibel over the Honda. Two third the price of the Honda 3K with more features.
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #28
CraigB in FL
Established Member

M.O.C. #29201
I bought a Westinghouse iGen4500, based on advertised noise level, gauges, remote start and expectation it would easily power everything up to one of my 2 a/c units. It has met all those expectations. Portable so I can use it at the house if the power goes out.

After having to load/unload it from the truck a couple of times, I think on a do-over I would think more about having two smaller ones to run in parallel.

My iGen4500 has been plagued with some quality issues.

Out of the box, the choke would not engage. Found a YT video that ID'd a wire that either doesn't get connected during the build, or it works loose during shipment. Removed a couple of panels and had it running in about 15 minutes.

With about 50 hours on it, while dispersed camping near the Grand Canyon in October's 30-40F temps, it suddenly sputtered like a fuel problem & quit. Pulled a panel to check the choke & throttle and found a bolt & spring in the bottom of the casing. Three bolts holding the electronic actuators on the choke & throttle had vibrated loose. The one completely loose in the bottom of the casing, a second completely unthreaded, but still in the upper portion and the third that was almost completely unthreaded. Very little room to work, had to use an offset screwdriver. Spring keeps actuator posts engaged with choke & throttle linkages. I wasn't sure if the actuators required a particular alignment with their linkages so I called WH tech support for advice. After 20 minutes holding, I got a live person to only be immediately disconnected. Another 20 minutes hold, I found out WH's tech support is only an answering service, to pass a message for eventual response. Needing an immediate answer to get back in operation, I told them to forget it and gave reassembly my best shot. Fortunately it worked and we had all the power we needed for the duration.

While travelling we stopped to boondock overnight one rainy 40F night in Abilene. While running the generator running I leveled things and opened the bedroom slide. I noticed the generator wasn't changing with load demand so I double-checked my connections. Discovered I wasn't getting and power to the 5er, I worked my way back and learned the generator wasn't putting out any power. Called WH tech support, gave them all my info & got a case number assigned, expecting a callback the next morning. My 2+ year old batteries weren't enough to bring in the slide or raise the jacks, so I was stuck, at least for the night. Bought 2 new batteries so I could get back on the road the next day. Several days went by with no callback from WH, so I called again & using the option for an already assigned case #, I got to a live person after about 15 minutes, only to find it was still just the answering service & she had no way to escalate my call. Fortunately we had several days with hook-ups and then only one more boondocking night before we got home. Once there I took it to a WH authorized service center, but it was a week before WH gave them the OK to begin diagnostics under warranty. Two weeks later & I'm still waiting to learn what broke & how long it will be down for repairs. Initial ballpark was 8-10 weeks. Not helpful for my holiday travel plans! Trying to decide if I can borrow/rent a small generator somewhere or if I now need to go buy a small one for backup.

2015 Montana 3582RL
2015 Ford F-350 DRW, 6.7 diesel, Anderson Ultimate Connection Gooseneck Hitch
CraigB in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #29
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Craig,

Two smaller gennies are much easier to move around and provide redundancy if one will not run.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:24 PM   #30
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I hinted that this before. All of these companies have different policies concerning warranties Northern Tool doesn’t replace a defective unit they repair it. Harbor Freight replaces the unit. Their problem is they offer a short 6 month warranty that can be extended to 2 years for $150. If you buy one of these generators ask about the warranty. Can you live with a 6 months warranty? Are you willing to purchase an extended warranty? Can you be without your generator while it’s being repaired? I can live with a 6 month warranty. If my generator breaks I’ll buy another. I’m willing to gamble.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #31
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
We installed the Onan 4500. Powers two ACs and everything else. Quiet and lighter than the Honda. Has remote start/stop too. Great price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4CD6C80-78B6-4C52-9C74-88FFEFCEA38D.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	10701   Click image for larger version

Name:	BF73D5B6-2DDD-4CDD-BAE3-90F11E14B301.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	10702   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF47F7AD-B7E6-4E18-B169-8C6DC6CCEA91.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	10703  
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #32
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Route66Rambler - thanks for the pics of your genny install.
Did you use wood+plywood to build mounting structure for the slide brackets?

I bought a Onan P4500i and I would like to build a slide mount like yours.
I have been taking some measurements of my front compartment.
I have a 3.5" PVC drain pipe that might be in the way a bit. I think it is a gray water drain from the front bathtub. You can see it in the pic below. I will try to determine if it gray water or black this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front storage compartment.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	10704  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:17 AM   #33
Sparky55
Established Member

M.O.C. #25383
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Roger,

Honda is the gold standard when it comes to portable gennies but there are others that are less expensive and do a decent job. A pair of the 2200 watt units are easier to handle and give you options to run one or two depending on how much power you need at the time. If you install soft starts on your a/c units you could run two a/c units with the pair of 2200s but little else.
Exactly what I did. Soft start with Bluetooth on your smart phone. I can run both a/c ‘s with power to spare with my champion 3400 inverter generator Awesome !
Sparky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #34
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
How did you exhaust it out? I didn't think you could run it with out exhausting it out the bottom of the front compartment?
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #35
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I carry this one. Adequate power to run the coach with it's 30a RV outlet. Will run the AC (I also installed the Microair Easy Start to reduce load), Furnace, Microwave, coffee pot, etc...though not all at the same time. It's not too heavy. It's inexpensive. It starts on the first pull. So far I've only needed it one time when the park we were in lost power but it did it's job. It's a little louder than the suitcase gennys but better for me than the extra weight and cost. We don't boondock so this is purely for backup.

https://wenproducts.com/collections/...rter-generator
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #36
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I have the Champion 3400 dual fuel. It will power our heat pump/ac ok, but it weighs in at 105 lbs. We don't boondock and I bought this for back up power or truck stop overnights as we have a residential fridge. I went dual fuel so I wouldn't have to carry gas cans around. We carry a 20lb LP tank for the grill anyway. Other than running it once a month or so to keep the battery up we haven't needed it for two years. Just carrying all that weight around and it's just about all I can do to get it in the truck. I don't unload it unless we actually need to use it. Since I installed a 200 amp battery we don't even need it for boone-nights.

Long Long Honeymoon folks has done a lot of field testing on gens and they had one small non Honda 2000 watt one that could run the a/c even. If I can find it, I'll come back with the link.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #37
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My Honda generator isn’t running so I have it tore down to find the problem. It’s been a truly great generator for 20 years so this isn’t Honda bashing. I’ve been looking to see why it’s more expensive and heavier than my Harbor Freight unit.
I think I have several reasons for both. First the case is heavy gage steel where the HF unit is aluminum castings and thin molded plastic. An example, the handles on the Honda are steel with 4 blots each holding them on heavy steel frames. The HR handles are aluminum with the ends stuck back in a light weight aluminum casting. The ends of the Honda are heavy molded plastic again the HF ends are light weight molded plastic. When you take the ends off the Honda you find molded fiber sound deadening caps not found on the HF.
All this adds up to a heavy expensive generator. If you are going to rough one up get the Honda. It will hold up to much rougher use.
These are a few of the differences that make the Honda more expensive and heavier.
Lynwood
Old 12-06-2021, 07:05 PM   #38
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
My Honda generator isn’t running so I have it tore down to find the problem. It’s been a truly great generator for 20 years so this isn’t Honda bashing. I’ve been looking to see why it’s more expensive and heavier than my Harbor Freight unit.
I think I have several reasons for both. First the case is heavy gage steel where the HF unit is aluminum castings and thin molded plastic. An example, the handles on the Honda are steel with 4 blots each holding them on heavy steel frames. The HR handles are aluminum with the ends stuck back in a light weight aluminum casting. The ends of the Honda are heavy molded plastic again the HF ends are light weight molded plastic. When you take the ends off the Honda you find molded fiber sound deadening caps not found on the HF.
All this adds up to a heavy expensive generator. If you are going to rough one up get the Honda. It will hold up to much rougher use.
These are a few of the differences that make the Honda more expensive and heavier.
Lynwood
I've had mine for who knows how many years. I generally care for my stuff but this Honda has been treated like a red headed stepchild. Which, is why I have so much respect for the brand. This thing runs, period. I've had off brand equipment with small engines and they just can't keep up. Engine components such as valves and carburation are not of equivalent quality. The unseen components are where corners are cut to achieve such low costs. I will admit that I have a few HF hand tools and some are held together with duct tape, but my mission critical equipment doesn't come from there.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #39
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve had mine for close to twenty years, maybe longer. I paid a thousand dollars for it I think. This is the first time it has failed to start. Like I said this isn’t Honda bashing but at the current price of $2200 I wouldn’t buy another.
Lynwood
Old 12-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #40
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
OK, found that video. Best prices I see are $750-800. Not great but an impressive performer.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator