Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2008, 06:10 AM   #21
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I have to agree with Brad and Dennis on this issue. I've seen mechanics drop wheel bearings on the floor, then want to pick them up and install without additional cleaning. If I had someone else repack, I would sure stand and watch them. I did have the Dexter E-Z lube hubs on a cargo trailer. Being it was used, and I didn't know the conditions it was used under, I very slowly pumped grease through until I got new grease coming out. No problems with the hubs or brakes. I just recently bought a bay boat. Upon trailer inspection, one seal was bad, and the bearing was rough. I installed new bearings, new Bearing Buddies, and never plan to repack the bearings as long as I own the trailer. Before towing,I merely be sure the spring on the Buddies is slightly loaded maintaining pressure on the grease.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #22
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Some times we get good advice, some times not such good advice. Asking a mechanic if the axles/brakes/hubs need to be serviced is like asking an insurance agent if you should buy some of his insurance.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Last spring I felt I did not have very much brake on the 3400. Took it to our dealer and when the wheels were pulled we found 3 of the 4 seals blown and the brakes well lubricated with grease,,I had no brakes. The dealer felt that the hubs had been over greased at the factory as we had never touched them.The 3400 was just over 1 year old at the time. They installed better everything ,under warranty) I would strongly suggest that at least after the frst year have them checked. We have ours pulled and checked every year.
Rich, I had the same feeling about the brakes on our 3400, which is only a couple of months younger than yours. They just never felt right. I was going to have the brakes checked this summer and wheel bearings repacked but instead replaced the axles, as you already know from an earlier discussion. The brakes on the new axles are much better. And they're self-adjusting, too.

Re the comment in an earlier post about either pushing grease through the hubs, one squirt per year, OR having the wheel bearings repacked... I do one squirt in one year and have them repacked the second year when I also have the brakes checked. I'd not recommend using just the ez-lubes and never pulling the hubs and repacking the bearings.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #24
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Our first 5th wheel was a little 17 foot Comfort Lite single axle (and I will never own a single axle again) I bought used from a dealer. I made the mistaken assumption (and we all know what happens when you assume) that he had serviced it. A few months later we were almost home from a weekend trip and were crossing the Willamette River when all of a sudden the truck lurched and I see this wheel rolling down the bridge past us. It bounced over the railing and plunged into the river and floated in the middle. Fortunately no damage was done to anyone else. I exited the bridge and had to stop on the entrance to the 6 lane road with no where else to park. Cars whizzing by and honking. I called AAA and they sent a truck which couldn't help us so they called in a second truck and they set the trailer on a dolly and drove my truck with the trailer still attached to my home where eventually I replaced the whole axle with a new one. The bearings were fried. While I was waiting for my tow I climbed down the hill to the water and watched the wind blow my wheel into shore right in front of me. I drug it up the hill (which about killed me) and was able to still use the tire and wheel. As a result of all this I have my bearings redone every year.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve..If we don't end up with a new unit going with the bigger axles is something we will need to do. I never thought the 6K axles were enough on the 3400 and obviously neither did Keystone. We will be talking with folks at the rally about replacing the axles and Helen is talking to folks about a new unit. Will have to look up your post on the replacement.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #26
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Steve..If we don't end up with a new unit going with the bigger axles is something we will need to do. I never thought the 6K axles were enough on the 3400 and obviously neither did Keystone. We will be talking with folks at the rally about replacing the axles and Helen is talking to folks about a new unit. Will have to look up your post on the replacement.
My question to Keystone is if they are going to increase the axle capacity (thus increase the GVWR) when are they going to beef up the frame? David and Joanna and their frame melt down come to mind.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tom That is among my questions for Keystone since we get to see the new models and prototypes at the rally..David & Joanna's experience made a huge impression on me..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #28
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Thanks to all who replied,
I've also read through the procedure, and on my previous 5th wheel, I had the local dealer repack the bearings for me, but it didn't have the ez lub hubs.
I have put nearly 10k miles on this new montana already in 4 months, and probably will ask the dealer to repack the bearings when back in Colorado. Most RV parks in which we have stayed state that there is to be NO maintenance on the rigs.
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote