Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Traveling in Canada with a Dog

I just want to find out what the experience has been traveling into Canada with dogs. We plan on having our health papers and rabies tags where applicable (Sirius is too young yet). Anything else? One is a Golden Doodle and one Labrador under 3 months. Thanks in advance.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ron and Terrie,
When we went to Canada we had one dog traveling with us. The little guy was allergic to the shots they are required to have so we did not have the proper documentation. It had been 10 years since he'd had any of the required shots. We had a letter from the vet documenting that he was otherwise healthy but that the shots were life threatening. Anyway we were prepared to turn around an not enter Canada if they would not let us in with the dog.

The Border agent was a nice young lady who asked us several questions about how we handled the dog...... That is he was inside all the time unless being walked on leash outside. After seeing the doctor's letter and satisfied with our answers she welcomed us to Canada.

Once in Country everything relating to the dogs is exactly like in the States. Some places charged for dog others didn't. So once you get across the border it's just like being at home.
Enjoy your trip. When we crossed back into the States they didn't even ask about pets.
Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks, good to know. My worst nightmare would be taking pup over and not being let back in the states with him.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../canin2e.shtml

You had a nice Border Services Officer. I would also check with the appropriate federal dept. in the USA. My sister bred, showed and judged Belgian Sheppards for years both in Canada and the States. There are requirements for Canadians bringing pets into the USA similar to ours here. Given it is a young dog they may require proof it was whelped in the USA.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
RCN.Stoker,
Yes you are correct we had an exceptionally nice Border Services Officer. As I said we were prepared to turn around if they didn't let us in. And I would not have been angry if they did not let us in. After all we were not in compliance with their regulations.

But isn't it nice to know that there is some leeway in otherwise hard and fast rules and regulations! Wouldn't the world be a much nicer place if there was more of this kind of commonsense!

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
As long as you have your papers re shots (rabies/distemper/etc.) you won't have any problem. When we travel to the U.S. we have our vet give us a International Health Certificate. Never had any problems getting into the States or back to Canada.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We live as visitors, over ten years now and travel back and forth many times a month with our two shihtzus. Never have had any problems, even after we purchased these in the states and had only receipt of purchase. Dog food needs to be in original container and labeled "made in USA"
Yes, have papers with you.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
Randy636
Established Member

M.O.C. #10964
we go back and forth across the border frequently with our dogs. as long as you have documaentation you won't have any problems. We've never been asked to show any kind of papers by either side of the border.
Just remember this answer questions with a simple yes or no. If they want details; they'll surely ask you for them. I would never try to hide anything from them but at the same time, they only need to know what they want to know. Know what I mean? Like are you bringing in vegetables or fruit in that RV? You better tell the truth. If they open the door and see a bowl a of fruit; they might tear your rig apart looking to see what else you're hiding. And age has nothing to do with their checks because last year there were alot of seniors busted at the Peace Arch crossing smuggling drugs into the USA. You shouldn't have a problem if you are honest, courtieous, and polite.
Randy636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Randy636

we go back and forth across the border frequently with our dogs. as long as you have documaentation you won't have any problems. We've never been asked to show any kind of papers by either side of the border.
Just remember this answer questions with a simple yes or no. If they want details; they'll surely ask you for them. I would never try to hide anything from them but at the same time, they only need to know what they want to know. Know what I mean? Like are you bringing in vegetables or fruit in that RV? You better tell the truth. If they open the door and see a bowl a of fruit; they might tear your rig apart looking to see what else you're hiding. And age has nothing to do with their checks because last year there were alot of seniors busted at the Peace Arch crossing smuggling drugs into the USA. You shouldn't have a problem if you are honest, courtieous, and polite.
That was 6 monthes ago - I think they're all set now.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote