Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
ok to slide?

i know that Escapees and others have a boondocking equitte guide that says, among other things, do not extend your slide when drycamping in a parking lot.

I have seen it done both ways. I have been preached ok, (or evangilized) that it is wrong, wrong, wrong to extend slides. The RV muesum in IN will let you PARK overnite (no slides) but will not let you camp in their lot (extend slides).

I plan to use the asphalt a little this fall and winter en route to the next location to feed the fuel tank. Your opinions about extending slides please.

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I extend them for the few hours I will be in a Walmart or Cracker Barrel lot. Have not run into any problems yet. Probably depends on if other RVs are there and what they are doing...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Escapees isn't as concerned about extending slides as they are about dropping your landing gear on the asphalt parking lots, putting out your awnings, and setting up your barbecue. For sleeping at night while off in the corner of an accepting Wal-Mart parking lot, extending a slide is not bad.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
As Orv said, no BBQ grills and no clothes lines with clothes on it. Yes, it has been done...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
When I have stopped at WalMart, I have tried to use the side of the lot when possible and only put out the street side slides. That means they are not extended into the parking lot and would be less of a problem. When I can't do that I follow the suit of the other RVs in the lot (I only extend the street side slides).
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote