Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > What's cooking?
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2008, 04:43 AM   #1
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Omelt in a Bag

Okay, newbie here and I've been reading about this "infamous" or possibly "notorious" Omelt in a Bag on the Rally threads. Would someone be so kind as to post the recipt/how to on this thread for me. It might be usable for our Volunteer Fire Department's fund raising. (They currently do spaghetti dinners and pancake breakfasts with very good results.)

Thanks in advance!

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:49 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
This is a good quick breakfast if you have alot of people to cook for, and it is fun.

Omelette in a bag:

Break 2 eggs, and put it a quart freezer bag, add whatever you want in your omelette in the bag. We chopped up green peppers, onions,ham,sausage,mushrooms,cheese,tomatoes or whatever you might like. Bring enough water to boil in a large pot to cover approx. 8 bags at a time. Boil 11-13 minutes and voila you have a perfect omelette. We had everyone write their name with marker on their bag. Lots of fun and feeds several people fast.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Robin,
this link shows photos of the vats needed for cooking using boiling water and the preparation with zip lock bags. As stated in previous posts, if you do not have the proper vats it is a real choir.
A note the bag is kneaded after it has been in the water five minute to mix up the ingredients. So hot water gloves are needed too.
Any questions please ask. I did not add any description to photos because it was done quickly.
Link to Omlet in a bag from 2007 NE Rally
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Walt/John,

Thanks for the information/recipe. John looks like quite and organized production team! One question amount of egg ladled in on from the assembly line. Is it one ladle and if so what size ladle (4, 8, 10 oz)?

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I do not know. I just shot pictures. I guess you should just experiment with the amount. You can do this at home with one pot of water and try the different sizes. I guess you want about two to three eggs worth.
Maybe someone else who has dished them out can help.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We do it this way. Each person brings their own eggs, 2 or 3 in the bag. After they are in the bag you can squeeze them so they are mixed. Then you put your choice of fixings and mix it all up with the bag closed. Then you put them in the water. We do not take them out until they are done. We have done this at the Shasta Rally, and the Spring Rallys out here in the West. Each rig either brings some of the fixings or a side dish like hash browns, fruit, or a bread. They turn out really, really good. The bacon/ham/ etc. are already cooked so you are just cooking the eggs and melting the cheese. Then we also have toppings like salsa, sour cream, etc.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

WARNING:

If you can stomach one more version on how to make "Baggie Omelettes" read on:

Write on a quart-size ziplock FREEZER baggie your name with a "sharpie pen".

Take two eggs, scramble in a bowl and pour into the baggie.

Add into the baggie any type of fixins (cheese, green onion, crab etc..) just as you would when making an omelette the traditional way.

While keeping the baggie upright, zip the baggie closed most of the way, push as much air that you can from the baggie and zip it closed the rest of the way. You can gently squish the contents around to mix them up but keep the mixture on the bottom of the bag.

Put the baggie(s) into boiling water for 12 minutes. Don't let any part of the baggie hang over the side of the pot or the bag will melt and it's not pretty or easy to clean. For 3 eggs, boil a minute or two longer.

While the baggies are boiling, keep watch over them so that the egg doesn't collect at just one end of the baggie. You want it to be fairly evenly distributed so it cooks evenly.

Remove the baggie from the boiling water, unzip and slide it out onto a plate.

It is the most flavorful omelette you'll ever eat.

You can arrange ahead of time lots of fixin's and set them up sort of like a production line and let people add in their own fixins to their omelettes. Depending upon the size of the pot, you can boil several of them at a time.

It's a great breakfast for people to participate in and it allows everyone to sit down and eat together at the same time. We do this at home quite often and will have some sort of a potato dish and fruit salad with it.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Robin,
The egg measurement is about 2 oz per egg, so a #10 disher (1/2 c) works out about right.

Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Well, just to add a little bit more info to Margee's & Sue's reply.... Mel & I had our first experience with a Baggie Omelet at the 2005 Lake Siskiyou rally and loved it so much we have since hosted what we call a "Potluck Egg Scramble" at the 06' and 07' spring rallies with great success. The only thing I could add to Margee's instruction would be that we found writing the exact time with a sharpie on the bag just prior to putting it into the boiling water helped a lot with making sure the many bags in the pot don't get over or under cooked. However you end up making them, you will love them!
Joy
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We helped with the Omelet Breakfast for the first time at the Spring Rally in Gettysburg. In my opinion 1. You need turkey fryers with the propane tanks but.... the fryer pots are way to big, take to long for the water to boil. We used a large canning pot or crab pot that was half the size of the the Turkey pots and cooked just about everyones in the canning pot before the turkey fryer pots where ready to cook. Therefore I would suggest using shorter pots with less water if that makes any sense. The Turkey pots hold about twice the amount of water that a good crab pot holds therefore takes forever to heat. You still use the heating element on the bottom of the turkey pots but replace the pots with a good size soup, canning, crab pot. I hope this makes sense.

Also we had a few people that did the cooking, and everyone stood around waiting for them to be done. I would suggest each person stand around, and squeeze thier own until done. Takes the work off a few people.

In the end, I thought they where very good and a great time. Great way to get to know people. Also we started ours at 8am, I think 9am would be better for people who do not like to get early on vacation.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
cdaniels-

That 8:00 time was a compromise because some Moc'ers are very early risers! We have friends that rise every morning at 5:00 and it doesn't matter if they're in the rig or at home. Personally, I like breakfast at 10:00, that way I can sleep until 9:00. We've been to rallys where breakfast was over by 8:30; you snooze you don't get fed.

Everyone's opinion is important, and one day you'll have the opportunity to set the times--we still need a wagonmaster for next year. Here's your opportunity!
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Gee Lisa, I was not complaining about the rally! I was trying to give information to someone who asked. I have said over and over what a good time and great job all the wagon masters did, in person and on this site. The information was given with good intentions to someone who asked for it. I think you took it personally and it was not meant that way. In the future I will keep my opinions to myself. I thought this was what the site was about, learning from one another.

As far as wagonmaster for next year.... I pulled every favor I could to get off work to attend the Gettysburg rally this year which is why we arrived after it started. I have no idea if we can attend or if I can even get off work next year. If we are able to attend.... we will be more than willing to pitch in where needed.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote