Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
Boondocking for beginners?

One of our goals (even before we bought the Monty) was to spend a month in Quartzsite during the winter. We love the Pow-Wow rock show in January, plus we think the town is just plain cool. Now that we have the RV, we want to start planning early.

I can tell right now that we are nowhere near prepared for joining y'all in that big circle in the desert. We have no solar equipment, no extra water storage, no poopy tanks, no quiet generator, etc., etc., etc.

Can anyone provide for me either a good internet (or printed) resource for new boondockers or a list of what is needed (equipment-wise) before we head out for Arizona next January? Or whenever?

Thanks in advance!

radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Here are a few I have saved for reference.
I hope they help:

ADVICE ON BOONDOCKING
RVers who stay in places other than official campgrounds are known as boondockers. Most often, they don't pay to camp. Here is a superb overview of boondocking: http://www.phrannie.org/boondock.html

Books and videos about Boondocking
BOONDOCKING GUIDE
Like to camp in the boonies instead of in a fancy RV park? Then you should check out this site, which is all about holing up in an RV without hookups: http://www.boondockingguide.com

BOONDOCKING BASICS
The term "boondocking" means camping without hookups to utilities. In other words, you and your RV are on your own. A lot of RVers love to boondock because they can often do it far from the crowds, where they can have some peace and quiet without another RV close by. If you have never camped like this, then here's a good overview of how to do it: http://click.topica.com/maaaCYpaaUiLKa4FN9Bb/

Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve,
You really don't need to add too much. For water all you need to do is come with a full tank of water. If and when you do need more water all you will need to do is to borrow one of the water bladders. Everyone who has a bladder is more than willing to share.

Of course you want to arrive with empty holding tanks. If you are really careful with your water usage you can easily go for 10 to 14 days before needing to dump the tanks. There is a 'honeywagon' that will empty your tanks where you sit. They were charging $20 this year. We had ours emptied once during our two week stay.

It would help if you had a generator but again is not absolutely necessary as several folks have a couple of them and would probably be willing to loan you one. If you decide to get a generator I'd recommend either one of the Honda 2000eui or the Yamaha. Unless you want your generator to run your AC you will have more than enough power from one of the 2000 watt units. Seveal folks use the Kipor brand generators. They are a bit less $$$$ but can be problematic when needing to find a repair facility. Whatever you do do NOT get one of the 'contractor' type generators. They simply do not have the same level of quietness. And no matter how you try to quieten them they simply make way too much noise. You would have some very unhappy neighbors.

Those are pretty much the basics but the basic thing to bring is simply a desire to meet a really great group of fellow MOCers! We look forward to meeting you next January.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We "Boondocked " for 3 days in Quartzsite.. Found a flat spot....not hard to do... Unhooked, Let the slides out, cranked up the Kipor, Set up the Sat dish...it was rough.. Hamrad has a point about the Kipor and repair facilities although there are more and more of them now....and.... any shop that can work on the Honda can work on the kipor since they are about 90% the same.. However a certified Honda repair facility can not work on a Kipor...contract thing..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We survived Quartzite this year with a Honda Gen set, a 325 watt inverter for my CPAP machine. We arrived with a full tank of water and empty waste water tanks. Our water was less than 1/3 tank when we left after 6 nights and we had the black water tank pumped out the night before we left. We had a great time at the rally and you will always find some to help if you have a problem. You will always have a great time if you camp with the Montana members
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
radioattic,

My advice to you is come to Quartzsite. There, you will only need your smiling face, full water tank, empty disposal tanks, a quiet generator, a couple of batteries....and some patience while your MOC friends teach you the rest.

Then, you can go hog-wild and buy whatever you think is needed to keep you comfortable.

There are so many interesting ideas on how to boondock, everyone has their own needs and wants.....

Come get your feet wet at Quartzsite!

BTW, there's only 314 days left 'till it starts!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Longwell

Here are a few I have saved for reference.
I hope they help:

ADVICE ON BOONDOCKING
RVers who stay in places other than official campgrounds are known as boondockers. Most often, they don't pay to camp. Here is a superb overview of boondocking: http://www.phrannie.org/boondock.html

Books and videos about Boondocking
BOONDOCKING GUIDE
Like to camp in the boonies instead of in a fancy RV park? Then you should check out this site, which is all about holing up in an RV without hookups: http://www.boondockingguide.com

BOONDOCKING BASICS
The term "boondocking" means camping without hookups to utilities. In other words, you and your RV are on your own. A lot of RVers love to boondock because they can often do it far from the crowds, where they can have some peace and quiet without another RV close by. If you have never camped like this, then here's a good overview of how to do it: http://click.topica.com/maaaCYpaaUiLKa4FN9Bb/

Larry

Larry,

Those are all great resources, and very accurately reflect our attitude toward boondocking.

Thanks!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Don
What is a 325 inverter? DW and I were checking a coastal campsite this weekend without hookups and I totally forgot about my CPAP. From what I understand, you don't let the generator run @ night so you need the inverter for the CPAP. Where do you get them.

Thanks!
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:50 AM   #9
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I think he meant a 325 watt inverter. Your CPAP should have a wattage rating. Just get an inverter that has about 10-25% more capacity than the machine. If you want to run other stuff besides the CPAP then look at that also. If you only get the inverter for your CPAP then just ensure you have a 12v outlet near the bed that works that the inverter can be plugged into.

I've seen them at truck stops, Walmart, Radio Shack, almost any place that sells electronics.

clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:57 AM   #10
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We went to Quartzsite this year for the first time with only our 2000 watt Honda Generator and stayed for two weeks. The only other things I will probably have for next year will be a water bladder and and inverter. But the only thing you really need is a generator.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
OK I need a little info myself. With a 3400RL and a 2000 watt generator,and inverter of what size, what can't I run and keep going besides the obvious of the AC?

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I'm a recovering engineer and as such, have a tendency to calculate all manner of nit picking details. It makes my wife crazy. She's more the Nike type; Just Do It!

Since I'm not out full timing yet I can't really calculate to my heart's content so I've compromised. This may work for you too. Here is what I plan to do....

I want an inverter that can run my microwave. This is sort of my high end benchmark. I figure 1800 to 2000 watts for the inverter will be just fine with the microwave. There is nothing else in the rig that needs as much as the microwave (except the air which I won't be trying to run from batteries). How much you can run with that thing is really a two part question; how many things and for how long.

The how many things question is easy. Just don't turn on more than 2000 watts of stuff at one time. So you might want to shut off stuff before you nuke the turkey.

The how long question is harder. Do I want 2 batteries or 6? To answer this you really need to be on the road, living your life style to get a feel for this. The good news is (and this is the meat of my plan) that you don't have to know the answer up front. I'm going to start with a pair of golf cart batteries that will give me 12 volts and about 100 amp hours of juice. If I find that this is not enough I'll bump up to another pair but only if I find I can't live without it.

The same is true with solar panels. Start with a basic 100 watts or so and live with it. You can always add incrementally. Just make sure that key components, like the inverter, are big enough to handle your biggest dream. You'll likely spend more on batteries and solar panels (as your needs grow) than you will on those key items.

This has the big advantage that you only buy what you really need and you don't get caught by the DW making nutty calculations under your blankets with a flashlight at 2 AM.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:51 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Check out the Back Woods Solar site, I bought many items for my home Inverter set-up as well as the Montana, this controller is nice, but there are many that show power usage and are very user friendly.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 AM   #14
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions!

Hope to see you next year at Quartzsite.
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote