Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Dog Chips

Does anyone have their dog "chipped?" I am talking about those little microchips that can track and locate the dog if it runs away.

Mr. Pee Wee has been the terror of the neighborhood lately and I have a feeling someone will pick him up if he keeps running away. Thankfully I have a good neighbor about a quarter mile up the road who calls me when Mr. Pee Wee comes to play with her lab.

I am not just "not watching my dog." I have 20 acres, hot wires and fence around the entire property. The little bugger ran out the door when I opened it this morning. He went straight through the hot wire and under the fence via a hole he apparently dug when I was trying to find him last night. He is getting too smart for his own good and I am at my wits end. I swear he does it just to irritate me.

TIA
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Phil,

The chips are only good if the dog gets taken to a facility that has the equipment to "read" the chip. It will not keep your little bow wow escapee from doing the escapee trick. I am not sure they can "track" him while he is on the run, I thought that they read the pup when he gets picked up or taken into the humane society or a local vet.

I am not totally in favor of those in the yard monitoring systems with the collar. I hear they work.

Many will suggest some obedience training.

If your "terrorist" is like mine, he probably is doing it to get under your skin.

How old is this little escape artist??

I hope you can come up with a plan soon before he gets in bigger trouble. SIGH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Does the chip void the warranty?g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have two large labs and used to have another one that like to chase deer. I bought an Inotek shock collar with a 1 mile range for him and he stopped running deer, quite fast! He also liked to chase 3 different cars on our road and if I caught him doing it he got to "ride the lightning". Unfortunately he chased one on a day when the road was very ice and got run over. His replacement learned the limits of our property very fast and responds immediately when called, he does not like the "lightning". By "lightning I refer to the strongest jolt, but very seldom use it. I only use max when he in getting into something very bad and I don't have time to call him. I now have a three dog unit and only use two collars. When we go to a new place I walk the dogs around the "safe" area that they are allowed to roam in and they pretty much stay there. The collars have a tone signal that alerts them to stop what they are doing. It is a one second tone, if they don't they get a "tickle" zap. Most of the time tone is all that is needed. It only took us about two hours a day for three days to train them both up on this unit. The problem with the invisible fence is that if they get a run going they can pass through the zone and only get a slight zap. Then they walk back and can't get back inside the yard without getting zapped.I prefer the hand held unit... Dave and Betsy P.S. Both of our dogs are chipped. They only work if the pet is taken to a facility that has a reader. They don't aid in tracking.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Pee Wee is 8 years old. He gets lots of treats and has more toys than most children. He loves to go for rides so my biggest concern is he will jump in someons car and they will keep him. I had two new tags made with his name, my name and cell phone number and a new collar. He isn't happy about the jingling noise. He also had a look of guilt when I asked him why he ran off. He just went over and got in his doggy bed, put his head down and starred at me. He knew he was busted.
I havea shock collar but I am trying to hold off. He is so well mannered for the most part so I am not sure why he has suddenly felt the need to take off on a run. On the plus side I now have every phone number of everyone on my mile section and they have my number as well. There is a plus in a bummer situation.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:56 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Mr. Pee Wee is a scamp. I just went online and found one of the GPS dog collars on the market at http://www.petsafegpslocator.com/buy_now.html. Current price is $199. I take it by electric fence, you are referring to the Invisible Fence pet containment system. We bought one last year for Magnum. That was a good investment, even though we only had Magnum another year. Hope this helps, and it would work whether you were at home or away.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 AM   #7
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Chips are a good way to be assured that you will get your pet back if he/she is picked up by
Humane Society or dog pound or taken to any vets office. I think most would have the ability
to find that chip. It's not a new thing.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Having your dog implanted with a chip would be very wise, especially as a traveler. As stated, just about every Vet clinic or humane society or SPCA facility can read the chips. While living in Alaska, Cathy managed a Vet Hosp for 12 years. A couple were travelling in the lower 48 when their dog got loose and they could not find him. They had to move on and considered the dog lost or readopted. After returning to Alaska and about 6 months later, they got a call that someone had found their dog and had it scanned for their ID Chip. They were able to reunite with their dog and lived happily ever after.

I have had my animals chipped since the chips came out. Never had one lost yet, but worth the peace of mind.....

We also used the invisible fence product while in Alaska. Easy to train our Golden Retriever and he stayed in the yard after that. I often thought this would be good for travelling, but I don't think CG owners would appreciate a loose dog on their grounds, even though he would stay in the boundaries.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
I have my newfoundland chipped but I don't let her out of my sight. But I don't live on 20 acres either.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
One of our 2 pooches is a half-breed and most of the time very lovable. However, occasionally she will bolt through the slightest opened door and start racing around the house and neighboring homes or if on the road the campground. She is faster than white lightening and the more you try to catch her the more she thinks your playing this real neat game of chase with her. Oddly enough she will approach other people to be petted. By time we can ask them to grab her collar she is on the run again. She always picks the worst time to escape. You know just before you hit the road. It is utterly frustrating and nerve wracking. We too have invisible fence products, but as we approach our April 1st departure date for our next cross-country trip we have decided we need to buy a shock collar. If she reacts to it like she does the invisible fence collar, she won't roam too far from the Monty.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote