Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2006, 02:37 AM   #1
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
Landing Gear Woos (long)

Hi All,

I’ll try and make this short and simple. We were on vacation out to Seattle, Oregon Coast, Down thru Calif then back across I-80 to home.
When we got to Waldport, OR, the left landing gear did not work and the right one wasn’t too happy either. We meet up with some friends from Seattle down in Brookings, OR (they were there with a ‘Sno-Bird’ rally) and due to the fact that Sno-Birds are no longer made, some of the group has new Montanas.

I’ll called Good Sam ERS (not easy-LOUSEY cell service) a service person came out and basically just said, “Yup, doesn’t work.” By now, I realize from looking and feeling, that the jackscrew is only moving a tiny bit every now and then. Mind you, we are unable to unhitch during all this. I says to myself, “Self, we are gonna have to get a new leg or two.”

I get back on the fone (a real one) and start calling every Dealer, service center from Sacramento to Portland to get parts and or service. Best I got was, “Might be able to get parts in 2-3 weeks.” Well, let’s just bag it and head for home…kiss this trip toast.

Get home, after 5 days of rain, snow, wind and a VERY unhappy wife (understatement); it is her trailer (truck is mine).

Get on ‘our’ forum; discover the Lippert is the landing gear folks. Give them a call. This is when I find out there is a warranty for 2 years on the gear and 5 years on the slides! I have NO information in my paper work about Lippert at all. So, the lady on the other end takes my name etc, 48 hours later I have a 50# packages of legs.

Now the fun begins, removing the old legs. The motor side shaft had to cut off, (to remove the motor) it had a torque twist of about 20-30 degrees! It had never popped the fuse! Then I pull the right side leg and then attempt to replace them. Opps! The legs are backwards. The shafts on the right side shud be on the left and vice-versa. So, we just swap the gear sets to the ‘proper’ side. Sure glad they sent both legs. In they go. IT WORKS!! Much quieter also.

Now, the important part. When we were stuck in Brookings and we were all looking at the new Montanas and mine…EVERY one had (including mine) the left leg out of plumb! We’re talking the part the in attached to the framework. Go figure…is this gonna bite me in the toosh later? Time will tell.

But, don’t ya think it’s kinda funny that the ‘dealers’ have no clue on the various parts on our units? I was ready to drop a grand on parts and labor, not one mentioned warranty or age. Sure glad I am (still) able to do my own repairs.

Thanks for listening.

BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:02 AM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Good post. Do you have any idea what caused the landing gear to fail? I have been lucky and in 20 years of owning fivers, I have never had a landing gear problem.

The legs on my 2955RL appear very plumb. I will go do some measurements later. I hope your new landing legs will give you many years of trouble free service. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:32 AM   #3
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
Don/Donna

I really have no idea what caused the problem. When I saw the big torque twist on the motor shaft (on the leg) all I can figure is that one time during it's life, it was really out of whack or grossley overloaded. But why the fuse didn't let go is also a question. It is a 30A in the holder. Also from reading on lippert's site, it appears that there is a clutch in the motor, again that didn't do anything.

I just hope that leg being out of plumb, the same problem doesn't happen again. Even thou the trailer isn't 'level' right now, the right leg is about 1/2 a bubble out, the left bubble and a half. Sooo, looks like about 1/2 to 3/4 out of line. Like i posted, folks down there in Brookings, their leg was also facing more towards the rear than the right.

In two days, I can kinda forget the problem till spring, goes into it's winter storage.

Bill

Old 09-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
BillE,
Did you use the manual crank system? It would be interesting to know if that would work. At least you would have been able to hook and unhook.

Sounds like somewhere along the lines one side of the rig was torqued severely. Either that or Lippert has an engineering problem when it comes to the legs.

It is amazing how little the various dealerships know about the various rigs they sell or service. Seems they NEVER have the necessary parts for fixing whatever the problem might be.

Glad Lippert got the parts out to you in a hurry.

Thanks for sharing.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:06 AM   #5
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
HAMRAD,

The manual drive was of no use. The drift pin in/on the vertical spur gear had sheared off at the jack shaft. But just to add, I had tried the 'hand method' just for fun earlier in its life. Works, but takes forever...there is a (I think) about a 3 to 1 turn ratio, so it's wind wind wind.

I just wish I could pin point when or if I screwed the thing up. It had always been very noisy since day one. But I had nothing to compare it with,just seemed noisy. Once we got it all back together, still has a noise, but not 'noisy'.

Yea, dealers do scare the living poo outa me. Not so much for not having parts, but not knowing about parts.

Buddy of mine (who was here from Seattle helping me)and I both kinda came to the conclusion that either a newbe welder worked on the leg installtion, or the jig is way off.

Time will tell...LOL

Bill